Moving with cat

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AGFUNK, Jun 14, 2011.

1. AGFUNK

Gold Member

So we are moving to texas from wisconsin in a moving truck. I'm sitting here researching cat carriers and have bookmarked some of them. But I'm having trouble finding one that would fit on the seat with us. There is no backseat in the truck so it's just the one seat. There's also only two seat belts so that takes out the car seats for cats that require a seat belt. So I'm hoping if anyone who has moved a far distance with their cat can help me out suggesting a carrier. I need one that would be big enough for her to stand up in(she's a small cat) since we will be driving for at least 2-4 hours at a time. It's a twenty hour drive in total but we're stopping in arkansas.

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. backcheck64

Gold Member

We always use a hard plastic carrier to move our animals, you could bungie cord the carrier to the seat at the base of the two seatbelts. Depending on the temperament of the cat, you might consider some tranquializers. I'm not so nice on long trips, I stop when we need gas, thats about it, so every 450 miles or so.

3. AGFUNK

Gold Member

We're planning on getting tranqs for her otherwise it would be too stressful for her. She doesn't like going anywhere that's outside. We can't use the plastic carrier we have now though because it's too small and only for vet visits.

4. backcheck64

Gold Member

You don't want too much room for her to move around, especially if she's tranqed. It's not like she needs room to roam on the trip. Those trucks aren't the best riding and if she's half zonked out, you don't want her bouncing around too much. And if you're stopping that often, she'll be fine. Do you have a harness/leash for her. Just the neck collar doesn't work great on cats and you'll need to keep her under control at stops, rest stops have lots of dogs. A friend shows dogs all over the country and the kennels have just enough room for the dogs to lay down.

5. AGFUNK

Gold Member

We are getting a new harness and a leash for her this weekend.

6. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Backcheck has it down. I brought my cats with me from Cali when I moved here to TX, I put them in harnesses for when we stopped at rest stops, but it's not like they did much but flop down and be silly. Didn't need to tranq them though, they behaved well enough after a bit.

Just keep the temps down, talk to to her, etc.

Oh yeah, where in Texas you guys moving down to?

#6 Texas_Red, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  7. luvbug

Gold Member

Any idea where in Arkansas you will be stopping? My bro lives in Dallas.....lord I havent been there in about 18-20 years..lol

8. AGFUNK

Gold Member

We are moving to houston, not exactly sure where in houston yet but in one of the good neighborhoods that has relatively cheap rent. I'm going to get her a harness this weekend and start playing with her with it and having it on her. She didn't like the last one at all. When I put it on her she acted like she couldn't move, it was so funny:) The thing is though is not having her be ok with a harness but to be ok with outside so I might try just taking her out on the porch with the harness on to get her kinda used to the idea. *Note to self must prepare for lots of scratches.*

Oops I meant stopping in Missouri, not Arkansas. I got mixed up because where we are stopping is right on the border.

9. backcheck64

Gold Member

IF you're stopping in MO, stay at a Drury Inn. Clean, free food and drinks in the evening, good breakfast in the morning.