Movies We've Seen Lately

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kermit, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Kermit

Gold Member

Come share your views on movies you've seen lately!

In The Company Of Men with Aaron Eckhart. 4 Stars

fantastic movie that at time seems cruel. About two co-workers who have just been emotionally devastated by women in their lives and decide to target a lonely vulnerable deaf woman in their company and simultaneously date her in order to make her fall in love with one of them and then proceed to break her heart to strike a blow collectively against hte female gender...but things don't' go as planned (except maybe the audience who has seen these this kind of thing play out, but not with the cruelty and manipulation present in this film) as one of them actually does fall in love with her. Sounds like a teen movie, but it's not, nor does it come with a happy ending. Aaron Eckhart plays the part of a charming handsome, manipulative psychopath to perfection. The ending you may or may not see coming, but gosh damn, if you see it again, it's almost a different film. Where you see the surface plot in the first viewing and the more subtle but true plot on the second viewing. Some may see it as mysogonistic but by the end you will be rethinking that assumption. Stacey Edwards, plays the deaf Christine with a depth that it's easy to see why they delayed production to accommodate the actress's real life wedding plans. Highly recomended! :D

2. nurseharley

Gold Member

Super 8 was pretty good, had a nice concept but the ending was a little too family friendly for me. It was cute though, nice little love story. Didn't care much for the monster, aka cloverfield's long lost brother.

I'd give it 4 stars too

3. Beach

Beach New Member

Someone recommended Super8 and thought is was ok..Typical Spielberg fare I guess. What was interesting was the Dbox seating I sat in. Kinda like one of the motion based simulator rides at a theme park. Not worth the 17 dollar price tag for that movie but maybe something better suited.

I still want to see Xmen First Class.. And recommend Thor to anyone remotely into that kind of movie genera.

4. Trond

Gold Member

Thor: Silly movie, but that was what we expected. Some fun moments, but it wasn't really memorable overall. I prefer Norse gods to be more down to Earth, with wooden halls ornamented with carved dragon heads and the like, rather than this sleek look. Natalie Portman was kinda cute though.

2.5 stars (and I'm being generous)

By the way: the land of the evil frost giants is called Jotunheim (Jotunheimen). You can find it on a map of Norway. Same is true for Hell. Seriously:).

5. Beach

Beach New Member

I think your taste in movies is a shade more sophisticated than mine Trond..lol.
    I went in expecting an average but entertaining experience.
    I was surprised to have laughed a few times and found it overall well worth the price of admission..good action as expected.
    Quite a few applauded at the end..but then again were talking about rural Florida right next to a Super Walmart. :)

6. nurseharley

Gold Member

Has anyone seen green lantern? All I've heard is that it's a flop but it's DC comics so I might give it a goooo

7. Kermit

Gold Member

A flop refers to the financial success not the critical/popular response. Some films can be quite good in quality but be a "flop" so worth a try but i hear it's not getting good reviews. But theres always redeeming features (in MOST films). I've heard people savage some films that I found things to like about (ie Spiderman 3, Watchmen)

8. Trond

Gold Member

Not sure if I can live up to that. I'm too easily impressed if they put a hot and charming woman in the movie :lol (Natalie Portman almost got me in Thor, but not quite)

Be that as it may. If you want a tip from me about a movie most people haven't seen, check out The Secret in their Eyes.

9. Beach

Beach New Member

A FB friend said it was very good. apparently he a big comic book fan and movie buff. I wanted to see it but the reviews made me nervous.

I will have to check that out Sir...:)

10. backcheck64

Gold Member

We don't go to movies, we wait till they're out on blueray or HBO....you know, three weeks after release. The theaters here suck, rotten seats, crap sound, PEOPLE. Why go there when you can sit on a comfy couch or home theater recliners, watch it in HD on a nice big screen, 840watts of surround sound, anything I want to eat or drink without taking out a federal loan, no cell phones, no people talking in cell phones, coughing, blocking the screen with the fifth trip to the crapper or concession stand....

11. GingerSnap

GingerSnap New Member

Ive been seeing Eat Pray Love, yes I know that movie is like a year old. But I just keep watching it over and over again. It is always relevant. lol And I like Lifetime movies! anyone a fan of those? I heard Super 8 was good though. Is it the sci- fi oneee?? I have no idea. I just know my friend said it was good.

12. Kermit

Gold Member

I only watch LT movies when i'm feeling masochistic by reminding myself how evil my gender is lol

13. swtlou

swtlou New Member

I went and seen the Green lantern and I thought it was great. To much back story at the beginning (narrated of course) but it had a little bit of everything. You have to stick around for the end credits, good lead into Green lantern 2 maybe.

14. Mittimer

Gold Member

Saw Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

BEST. MOVIE. EVER.

#14 Mittimer, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2011
  15. Trond

Gold Member

I saw "Venus" with Peter O'Toole yesterday. This is a very "different" kind of movie, almost no matter what you are used to. O'Toole himself said it's about a dirty old man and a slutty young girl, and that is dead on if you ask me. Pretty well acted, but feels a little icky at times. I think the reason is that the guy is not only old enough that he is almost literally falling apart (the movie includes his facial expressions while getting a prostate exam), but he is not always the best behaved old guy either. Same goes for the young girl too. Perhaps it's just me, but I think O'Toole was a bit creepy even as a young guy, and I have to admit I squirmed a bit when his character says he wanted to see the girl's "cunt". I'm not sure how to rate this. I guess it was worth watching, and it's a very unique, so I'll give it three stars (perhaps also because it prominently features a painting by my favorite artist: Velazquez :)).

#15 Trond, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  16. Kermit

Gold Member

You must go to some sucky theaters. Never had a problem with the people, i always eat and drink before i go in, or sneak an occasional snack (they don't search me) and for some reason the small drinks are always enough. The sound and picture is always good (sometimes the projectionist fucks up though) Still the best way to see a movie, but i can see the advantages of home viewing. But for some reason i've never liked surround sound (the TV speakers have always been good enough cept sometimes it reverbs). It sounds nice but i don't like being chained to the center nor do i like the bulk of the wires. But yeah home theater certainly rings true with some systems

17. backcheck64

Gold Member

I'm running a HD Samsung Plasma, Onkyo reciever pumping 560watts into Infinity Studio Monitors in the front, Polk CS250 center channel, NHT SuperZERO rears with a Polk rear center, then a Peavy Deca724 running a Boston Acustics Sub. Top of the line Samsung BlueRay player.

18. Kermit

Gold Member

awesome set up :)

19. backcheck64

Gold Member

Thanks, too much money though LOL

Bridesmaids, seriously funny

Horrible Bosses...somewhat disappoinitng. Best I've seen Aniston look though.

20. Kermit

Gold Member

Yeah i don't know what my issue is, i love the sound quality of surround sound, but i hate having to be at hte center of it to take advantage of the separation effects