Movie plots that you are tired of

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Trond, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Trond

Gold Member

This can be anything from plots that you have seen too many times, to stories where you feel if you have seen it once, you have seen them all :)
    Here's my list so far:

1. Movies where amnesia or some sort of far-fetched plot turns the life of the main character upside-down. Him:"But darling, can't you remember me? I'm your husband!" Her:"I have never met you before. I'm married to [insert arch nemesis here]. Guards! Throw this man out!"
    2. Often related to the above scenario 1, plots in which everyone and their aunts are in a conspiracy against the main character.
    3. Often related to the above scenario 2, movies in which most the time is taken up by the main characters running for their lives. I have seen movies about people trying to outrun anything from aliens and ghosts to climate change(!). Enough of that, thank you very much.

2. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

The protector of the hero, who turns out to be helping the bad guys. The head of the Secret Service in Air Force One for instance.

3. Moofafa

Moofafa New Member

1. Physically or mentally challenged man/woman blunders into doing the impossible and achieves worldwide fame and riches. (Hi, Tom)
    2. Professional "symbologist" with an annoying lisp stamps out evil at the Vatican, Rosslyn Chapel, the Louvre and all points in between but never manages to bag the Pope. (Hi, Tom II, III, etc.)
    3. Thousands of massively muscled Roman/Carthaginian/Greek armys clashing in one big grizzly spectacle. They were'nt that well fed back then and just living took precedence over work-out routines. They exercised by non-stop slow marching for thousands of miles.
    4. A stampeding army makes a futile last stand charge through clouds of arrows and not one horse gets killed.
    5. Masquerading super hero hides his true identity behind one pair of shades. They think we're stupid.
    6. Splattered blood.
    7. Saws: Chain, wood, circular, Swiss Army and emery boards.
    8. Steel finger nails.
    9. People who are afraid of ghosts.
    10. Demonic possession.
    11. Angels full of one-liners.
    12. The genre of movies that includes "Old Yaller".
    13. Distressed damsels in any form.
    14. Super lethal weapons that never misfire, AND
    15. People who receive one or more fatal wounds and don't die before the end of the movie. So long, Bill.

4. CosmicEye

Gold Member

I hate that in EVERY movie, some guy wins a girl. coooorrrnyyyyyy

5. pbs

pbs
    Gold Member

I tend to avoid most Hollywood made movies because they lack maturity and substance, and are generally designed to generate aftermarket sales of toys and games (per Meryl Streep). I use Netflix and select mostly foreign films that have ratings in the 5th star.

6. Essene

Gold Member

Most any movie where person A likes person B, but B likes person C. Then person L joins the cast and kills them all.

It's not much of a twist any more just because we're supposed to prescribe to the motif of a "normal" romantic comedy then (OH NO) :shudders: it's really a horror flick.

7. CosmicEye

Gold Member

Stuff like The Human Centapede

I also HATE those stupid ass SciFi movies that are just horrible. Alot people watch them because they say they are so bad they are entertaining. I think they are just purely unwatchable, so I dont even attempt watching

8. cbrmale

Gold Member

I recently watched my DVD of Lawrence of Arabia when I was putting the finishing touches on my latest novel, part-set in the deserts of Saudi Arabia. It is an amazing film and one of my favourites, and yet it has virtually no plot at all! It's a war film in genre but there are few war scenes (just two). Truly, it's all about the characters, which goes to show that you don't need a plot to make a masterpiece.