[movie] Down & Out in Beverly Hills - I don't get it?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Clark, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Clark

Clark Member

I never understood this movie.

Nick Nolte plays Jerry Baskin (a homeless guy). Richard Dreyfuss plays Dave Whiteman (Rich Beverly Hills guy). Jerry tries to drown himself in Dave's pool. Dave calls 911 and rescues Jerry. Dave and his family sort-of take in Jerry who is homeless.

Jerry, in return, treats Dave like shit throughout the whole movie. Then he fucks Dave's wife, he fucks Dave's mistress, and he fucks Dave's daughter.

This movie is supposedly a comedy. I don't get it. I didn't see anything in the movie that was remotely funny. And I honestly didn't understand the point of the movie.

Can someone explain it to me?

2. Yangus

Yangus New Member

What boggled my mind was how Nick Nolte managed to land all of those women period. It was that point that I was no longer able to suspend disbelief.

...and i agree the movie was a pointless waste of time (saw it not too long ago because there was jack shit on cable).

3. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Personaly i liked the film ( not the greatest film ever )
    but it was meant as a fun film, Nick nolte may not be the best looking guy in the world but who is...none of us guys here i would say.

But looks are not everything.
    Jelousy of an ugly guy having lots of gorgeous females is comman place, these guys get women not from looks, but from haveing a PERSONALITY being able to make females laugh and feel very actractive.

The film was meant as a comedy not as a true fact of life. annalising films to death isnt something i am into i just watch them to enjoy them.
    much more fun that way.

If films were made exactly how things are in life , a car crashes no explosion and such like , i would be bored to death.

4. Clark

Clark Member

So.. what was funny? Were there some funny lines that I missed? or some funny scenes? Was there an amusing plot direction?

5. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

I found it funny, you obviously didnt...
    Explaining for a while what i found funny about it, would be pointless .