Motorcycles

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Nstyboi88, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Nstyboi88

Nstyboi88 New Member

I freakin love motorcycles and jus wanna kno who else is into them,what do u ride or what do you plan on getting also tell about ur expirences,have you ever crashed or craziest thing youve done on a bike.

I first started off on a 2010 kawi 250r it was a fun ride def. Especially the 61 mpg part lol ive been riding for over a year now and plan on getting a new bike i sold my 250,i plan on buying a gsxr 750 seems like i will get the best of both worlds power is almost at a liter bike and handles well like a 600. Idk tell ne ur thoughts im open to anything

AND NO HATING WERE ALL RIDERS AND I RESPECT ANYONE WHO DOES!!! dont matter what ur riding.

2. backcheck64

Gold Member

Ridden for years. Got a Honda 800r right now. Couple of small lay downs over the years. Topped out at 174mph on a friends BMW K1200R. Jumped a bridge at 110 mph on a GPZ1100. Surfed a Transalp on several occasions as well as my 800. As soon as the kids are in college, I'm getting a GSX1300R Hayabusa.

3. she

she New Member

I ride a 2010 harley street bob right now. I started out on a 2000 suzuki intruder 800. I dropped her once. No accidents yet, knock on wood. WE just bought a 2010 kawasaki z1000!

4. 33stack

Gold Member

1999 Harley Wideglide. Went down in 1977 on a triumph. Broke my pelvis, dislocated my shoulder, road rash etc. Don't feel bad "she". I've dropped my Harley a couple of times. Happens to the best of us... lol

5. Everett_Spair

Everett_Spair Member

I recently got my motorcycle licence but I'm not an expert on bikes or anything.
    I've got myself on old 1994 Honda CB500 for when I feel like taking a ride.

edit: also, shouldnt this thread be in the off-topic section? its not exactly sex related. :)

6. bryanedp9

bryanedp9 Member

I've got a Yamaha TW200 I like getting around on. Up to around 90mpg on a good day and it's practically a replacement for the horse. Goes nowhere fast, but anywhere.

7. HardRocker

Gold Member

Good catch, Everett. Moving now.....

8. Nstyboi88

Nstyboi88 New Member

Wow didnt notice being in the wrong place to post a thread wasnt payin attention sry yalls.

9. hubbywubby

hubbywubby New Member

My best advise I can give is whatch out for sand. Sand is ice when your on a motorcycle. Just my opionion but if you state or country if there is not helmet law please cosider whereing a helmet. Im not going to go crazy because i love bikes. However its not worth your life. I makes me a itlle crazy when I see people on a bike doing 80 in a t shirt with no helmet. I can understand why but they make nice helmets now.

10. backcheck64

Gold Member

I always wear my Shoei, very comfy helmut, but face it, at 100+mph, the difference is open or closed casket. I prefer the wearing it because it's easier to hear the mp3 player. I do ride in a tshirt and shorts..and sandels...but wear the brain bucket.

11. she

she New Member

I'm guilty of not usually wearing my helmet and I work with the police, so I know better. I'm working on it though I promise!

12. backcheck64

Gold Member

My sister is in the medical field and had a fit when I bought a motorcycle..organ donor. Now she rides without a helmet all of the time.

13. Everett_Spair

Everett_Spair Member

I wouldnt dream of going for a ride without a full set of equipment: helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves and backplate.

14. Nstyboi88

Nstyboi88 New Member

Omg i always ride with my ipod on i love it! unless im riding in a group i dont bother with the ipod. Ive seen some people mostly cruiser ppl not wear a helmet idk why they jus like to rock a bandana and shades.

15. ply

ply
    Gold Member

I beg to differ. Everything about motorcycles is sex related. They are sexxy sex machines.

I used to ride without a helmet. I decided that I had been lucky long enough. I didn't like riding with a helmet - got to hot - so I just quit altogether. I still get the urge though

16. Northside

Gold Member

Well I've ridden since I was a kid on dirt bikes, then British bikes and Harleys. I wore a patch for a long time. I travel all over the country since I don't have to work anymore. There is nothing like seeing the country from a bike. You have 360 degree vision, you can hear the sounds of nature, you can smell and feel the air around you. I love to ride cross country and meet so many people who are just curious about this adventurous (to them) lifestyle. It's funny how this helmet hysteria comes up so often when talking about bikes.

Don't get suckered into the "always wear a helmet bullshit." The FACT is, always wearing a helmet is as dumb as never wearing one! A helmet protects one portion of your body at the expense of some of your defensive driving capability. Helmets reduce both vision and hearing depending on the style of helmet. Sometimes that's a good trade off, sometimes not. It depends on the situation. Every state in the U.S. has had mandatory helmet laws. Half of them repealed those laws because helmet laws don't reduce injury or fatalities. However those laws are great for helmet sales! The helmet law years in my state showed a 22.% increase in fatalities, per reported accident, compared to the same number of years before. Still the manufacturers tell you to always wear a helmet and even get legislation passsed to make your old helmet illegal and force you to buy the new "improved version."

My advice to remain safe is to really learn to ride. These courses now a days teach riders to negotiate road cones on a small putt putt bike in a parking lot. Then they licence you and you can ride on the road an an Ultra Classic with your 300 lb. ol' lady and never see a road cone again, or maybe you buy a 200m.p.h. Hyabusa. Sorry but a helmet ain't going to do squat when riders go down hard because they really didn't know how to ride.

No, I've never crashed on the road and I probably have 800,000 miles on bikes. I actually feel safer on a bike than on 4 wheels because you can avoid crashes by always having an escape route. If you can't stop in time a rider can go around objecs a car can't.

17. backcheck64

Gold Member

First off, a good helmet doesn't get that hot, and if you're on a Harley, a full face helmet will help drown out the crap coming out of the pipes. My brother in law is still alive (only suffered some road rash and a broken knee cap from going down at 70mph. Another friend is still around after a cyclist cut in front of him and he went down at 50mph in traffic. The damage to both helmets bear it would have been a fatal crash otherwise. If helmets do nothing, why do all the racers wear them? Why is it guys have gone into the wall at 160mph at Daytona and walked away...but the helmets where trashed. You claim to you can avoid accidents, Harley's have the worst handling and braking of...pretty well all bikes on the road....especially if you have a 300lb Ol Lady on the back.

18. Northside

Gold Member

First off I never mentioned hot. But you're wrong again because they are hot. Last year when 10 old brothers and I had to ride all day through Nevada on highway 50 "The Lonliest Highway in America," everyone said wow I'm glad we don't have to wear these things at home, they're hot. Nevada has a helmet law.

What I said was helmets reduce some of your defensive driving capabilities. Sometimes it's a good trade off sometimes not. A racer has no intersections to contend with, the bikes are loud and the probability of a crash is pretty good. Of course racers wear leathers and helmets. I did when I raced a little flat track in my early twenties.

Now everyone knows a drama queen who will say "that helmet save my life, look at the scratches." Of course the helmet hit the pavement it's five pounds of weight on the guys head. toss any object and the weighted end will hit first. No doubt many lives have been saved by a helmet, but as many have been lost because they didn't hear the tires of the car rolling up behind them. The difference in hearing is amazing without a helmet. I ride through helmet states a lot so I know the difference. I don't get it! 90% of motorcycle injuries are to the extremities, especially legs and leg amputations. The key is to avoid the accident completely. How? By being aware of the traffic around you and being able to control the bike. Not sticking your head in a helmet and riding foolishly thinking your invincable.

Back in the 70s, 80% of auto motorcycle accidents were the car drivers fault. Now the majority are the riders's fault. These yuppies riding nowadays can't ride proficiently. They ride to be "cool." Some of the things that we all see the crotch rocket riders doing is ridiculous. If you think wearing a helmet is going to save you guess again. If you go down at speed you're whole body is at risk. The best helmet you can buy will bust open with the weight of a human at 15 m.p.h.

My point is don't get caught up in the false sense of security that helmet pushers purvey. Wear what you want, I never said don't wear it, I said they are over rated and that laws requiring them haven't done anything. That's why the Federal government required states to enact helmet laws in 1967 and dropped the requirement in '77. Half the states repealed them based on their own situations. I guess they didn't know your brother in law.

You've never hear my pipes yet you describe the crap coming out of them? Harley makes quite a few different models. The XRs were certainly not know as poor handling. I live in Colorado and the canyons of the Rockies are a gas to ride on my Harleys. I have 3. They handle fine and are made by Americans.

#18 Northside, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  19. backcheck64

Gold Member

5lbs of helmet...what the hell are you buying, and the scratches....ground THROUGH the lower part of the helmet.

AND the MOST AMERICAN MADE motorcycle is the HONDA GOLDWING. Not a Harley...comprised of over 45% IMPORTED parts. And I've done some racing on autocross courses, there is a hell of a lot more to worry about when you're doing 160mph bumping the bike next to you. And your asserstion is the best helmets busting open is crap. Keep telling yourself that....besides, a Harley rarely goes fast enough to need a helmet LOL

20. Northside

Gold Member

Well obviously your real problem is Harley envy. I was walking out to the parking lot with my leather jacket slung over my shoulder at my last job when a guy caught up with me. He asked if that was my Harley in the lot. I said, "yeah." He said that his Suzuki looked so much like a Harley that most people couldn't tell the difference. He said it cost less than $10,000 and that I was stupid to spend so much for my bike. I repied, "you can go downtown and fInd something that looks a lot like a woman, that's good enough for some guys. Me, I gotta have the real thing."

These guys who badmouth Harleys remind me of the wimps in Highschool who couldn't get a date with the best looking girl in class, so they would call them whores and sluts. Sound familiar? Chicks dig Harleys and you guys can't stand it!

Partner, I don't give a rat's ass what you ride, wear, or fuck. My point again, and for the last time is, If you ride like a fool, thinking wearing a helmet will save you from any significant injury, you will probably be a statistic very soon. Of couse you disagree. You live in a helmet law state and they don't have motorcycle injuries or fatalities there. LOL

#20 Northside, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011