morality of sex

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by haolcatx, Apr 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haolcatx

haolcatx New Member

what is your personal moral code versus sexuality? For me I don't believe that pro-creation sex holds validity given our present human population. I see sex as an act of hedonism with societal and personal moral constraints on them. For me sex is moral when

1) neither person is attached

2) neither person is physically or emotionally harmed by intent before or after the sexual encounter

3) neither person engages in sex under false pretenses or manipulation

If those three conditions are met and both partipants are willing than i see it as moral.

The only part that I can't seem to articulate is the formulation of age. when one person or both people are too young. I was wondering what yall's code is how how you see sexual morality?

2. haolcatx

haolcatx New Member

As a footnote, I think I draw alot on sexual morality from Ghandi. One of the things he is famous for is his "7 deadly sins" which can be found here:
    http://deadlysins.com/features/gandhi.htm

The 2nd one "pleasure without conscience" is a primary motivating force for my personal moral code on sexuality. I don't know why it is called the 7 deadly sins though considering that Ghandi was hindu which attributes fate to dharma and karma as opposed to sin or original sin.

3. igor

Gold Member

I am kind of struggling with the issue of morality myself. Part of it depends on how much one is into the issues pointed out in the bible. According to the strictest interpretations, even masturbating and thinking of someone other than one's own spouse is a sin.

Towards the other end of the spectrum there are those that think like you where basically if both are in agreement, no harm is done.

As for the age issue, that's where our government has stepped in to "help" us, deciding on a state by state basis what is legal age. Of course anyone past the age of puberty can have sex for its intended purpose of procreation.

4. haolcatx

haolcatx New Member

I don't think you are going to find any relevant information on moral sexuality in the Bible or the Koran. Looking for morality in a century old text of metaphyical propositions makes as much sense as looking at an auto manual for a cooking recipe.

That is a negative way to look at it. Sex is pleasurable. If everyone is in agreement and under no false pretense plus not attached to someone else who does not approve baring the age considerations sexuality can be moral.

In a democratic republic (meaning we elect officials to represent us) we are the goverment. I find morality completely subjective in an existential sense and therefore have no intention to define your morality, however, if you honestly believe that the intended purpose of sex is procreation and the earth has plenty of humans (aka over 5 billion) than in your lifetime sex is not only a non-neccessity but completely amoral for you to partipate in.

5. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Yeah ...I'm gonna take issue with this. This is a rather ridiculous statement. That is like saying that anything older than X (pick a number) is worthless.

Fine... the constitution is 200+ years old ... yep must be worthless...

Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations ... 300+ years old ... useless

How about Marx's Manifesto ?? written in 1848. Yup toss it in the garbage heap.

In fact lets really go back ... The Magna Carta 1215 ... Way to old to be valuable. Junk it.

The fact that something is old doesn't mean it's worthless. Newer does NOT mean better

6. haolcatx

haolcatx New Member

AO read the qoute you isolated. I said, not relevant. I didn't say worthless. I think if you are going to explore the morality of sexuality you should be looking at information in that field or area as opposed to a book that's focus on proposing man's relationship with God.

In regards to the age coment I would say any 2000 year old book, given what we know today, as a society about genetics, biology and psychology isn't gonna have the resouces to examine human sexuality to the same capaicity as modern publications and research.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.