Microsoft Word 2007...why?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Puss_in_boots, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

I’d like to know why Microsoft’s latest version of Word is totally incompatible with all the previous versions. One of my students sent me her paper in the new Word 2007 format and I couldn’t open it with Word 2003. I had to download and install a file format converter from Microsoft’s website. It just seems so pointless for them to release new versions of applications that are more or less identical to previous versions. The upgrades/changes aren’t significant enough to justify installing the new version and to top it all off, they are incompatible with previous versions.

2. Bella

Gold Member

I can TOTALLY relate to your frustration!! :ugh
    I can't answer for them, but I agree with you 100%!!:uhh:
    IT SUCKS!:mad
    ~Bella

3. heelfetish

Gold Member

The new versions will open all previous versions, but because of the new formatting tags, you can't open a document created in a newer version of the software with an older version. This is a problem straight across the computer industry, and is certainly not limited to MS Word.

As a teacher, you should instruct your students to save in Word 2003 format.

4. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Most of them do, so it's not really that big of a deal..it's this one paper that I've had trouble with. Last year I had one student who sent me her papers as Microsoft Works files (totally incompatible with Word, of course). I didn't think anyone still used that!

5. Jayce

Gold Member

This is why I do not do any business with Microsoft.

Oh, also, get this. Microsoft Vista, yeah we all heard about it. Buggy as hell, unstable as shit, and runs like ass. Well, Microsoft hasn't even STARTED to get the problems ironed out, and they announced Vienna, the successor operating system to Vista to be released in 2009.

So essentially they create a problem. Instead of fixing it, they create a new problem. Wow. Just wow. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I believe Vista will be the last big thing to come from Microsoft. :) :) :) :)

I'm done ranting.

6. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Vienna is Vista. They were under pressure to release and operating system because in the 5 years that XP has been out, Apple had released 4 new operating systems and are gearing up to release Leopard. M$ promised PC users with a redesigned operating system not soon after they released XP but they couldn't do all the features in time so they postponed the OS they were working on and threw together bits and piece of Vienna and XP into Vista, which is why it is so unstable.

Vista will be the last big thing from Microsoft? I think not, I don't think Vista will be big at all, it will become the Windows Me of this decade and most users will stick with XP, but for PCs the only other choice in Linux which is hard to use and most Windows users would sooner switch to Macs than to Linux.

As for your Word problem: The latest version of OpenOffice.org supports the new Word format. It's completely free and fully Office compatible, try that.

7. Jayce

Gold Member

Vienna is Vista? Vienna is a completely different operating system, it was on a news web site with direct links to Microsoft's site. Vienna was subject for release at 2009.

Pure bullshit. Bad move.

Last big operating system? It's very possible. Think logically about this a moment. With how "secure" Vista is this time around to crack, I have a feeling most people who would of cracked Vista and settled with that, since their opportunity for that is gone, will port to Linux. I don't believe Microsoft will ever die, but there will be a point in the near future (within 15 years) that Linux and Macintosh will be huge competitors of Windows and Microsoft will no longer hold the largest monopoly in history.

But on the other hand I can also see Macintosh being a subsidary of Microsoft too. I mean, shit, Microsoft is ALREADY paying Macintosh to keep their mouth shut about the monopoly. Otherwise if Macintosh would speak up Microsoft would be in deep shit and would have to do some downgrading or splitting of their company.

Oh, also, I probably shouldn't say this, but I've seen Microsoft's financial report that their employees get to review their numbers for the year. How have I seen it? Well, I create the damn thing at work. It's downright disturbing how much money they make. Granted a lot is donated, but I think a lot more could easily help in finding a cure for cancer and aids and everything else in the book.

8. Thorn

Gold Member

I've been hearing about Google’s new "online" office suite. It goes for under $100 per annual subscription.

9. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

For an update on the situation, I was able to open the document after I downloaded and installed a file format converter from Microsoft's website.

I had similar trouble in the past opening a student's paper that was sent to me as a Microsoft Works document. I didn't know anyone still used that. Anyway, it was (as I expected) totally incompatible with Word so I had to convert it.

Always trust Microsoft....not.

10. johnnyangel694u

Gold Member

Did you expect anything different from Microsoft? Heck, I am still using 97.

11. Dreama

Gold Member

Same thing happened to me, Puss. I sent a teacher my paper for my writing class, and she couldn't open it. I almost ended up not getting credit. Luckily, I went ahead and printed it just in case.

12. Jayce

Gold Member

www.openoffice.org

Download for free and enjoy.

Special note: If you use open office at home and want to open a document at another location (maybe work?) that uses microsoft word, when saving the file, go to save as, select file type, and scroll until you see Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP.

Special note II: If you use openoffice's powerpoint program and try to port it microsoft powerpoint, sometimes a lot of the formatting won't transfer. This is also true with excel, from what I heard.

Because of this my school now supports openoffice and microsoft office suite on all computers, so for those of us who use openoffice exclusively, they don't have to worry about any formatting issues or get stuck working on your projects in school.

But, anyway, it's good, and free, and it's not Microsoft. I expect everyone here to use it and like it with a big grin on their face. MKMYWORKISDONEHERETHXBYE.