Mental Health

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sexynzgirl, Aug 31, 2004.

1. sexynzgirl

sexynzgirl New Member

Hi there everyone
    I'm wondering as to whether any of you have been diagnosed with any kind of mental illness and how you cope?

I have been diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Depression which I take meds for daily, how bout u?

2. tar gar

tar gar New Member

hi i dont have any problems , not that i know of.

But in todays stressful world depression and anxiety is quiet prevalant. In a lot of situations there is no way to get away from them.

did a psychiatrist diagnose U? For obscessive compulsive disorder you should definately see a therapist, meds will help but U should definately try to go for therapy.

take care

3. sexynzgirl

sexynzgirl New Member

Yes I have been diagnosed by a professional. I did see a therapist for awhile which helped me with the worst of it. It just makes me feel a little bit down that I have to take pills to be normalish. Its hard to hold down a job, know how to react to situations in a normal way.

Its really quite hard for me to accept myself when I know I'm not as sane as everyone else. But then I wonder, what is sanity anyway?

4. Logger

Gold Member

Dear NZ Girl,

Thanks for sharing. I was told I was obsessive-compulsive with depression when I was younger. They gave me stalazine, but it made me fidgety. Do you like the meds you are taking? How do they help you? What does the therapist suggest you do to cope with your affliction? Why is it hard to keep a job?

I personally think I am more oppostional. I realy feel like proving other people wrong, particuarly people who try to tel me what to do. I have recognized my impulses, and now I make it a habit to always tell my idiotic boss, "Yes Sir" immediately, instead of trying to tell him what I really think.

I am not really interested in being normal, only in being able to give the appearance of being normal. Like for keeping a job, etc.

I am a procrastinator, and part of my procrastination approach is fasination, or obsessing over details. When I get started on a project, I work on unimportant details, and miss the big picture. Yesterday, I unscrewed my lug nuts on my truck, and carefully wiped of each one, and squirted the stud threads, and brushed and wiped them. Took too long on one side, and when I got to the other side, those lug nuts were frozen solid, and I couldn't even get them unscrewed. I should have been putting more time just checking to see that I could unscrew the lug nuts first, before giving detailed attention to giving sufficeint care to last for several years. I need to be able to change all tires TODAY. That is an example of my being stupidly obsessive. Today I borrowed an acetelyne torch to get the lug nuts off. I'll report back on my next hold up.

Blessings.

5. sexynzgirl

sexynzgirl New Member

Hi there Logger
    I'm prescribed a pill called Celepram which works to keep me level instead of swinging wildly in different directions. I find it a constant nuisance to take the pill everyday but do so anyway to be a more stable agreeable person. I find it difficult to work at times when my head gets too full or life is getting tricky as I don't have all the chemicals right in my head. I've tried paxil and prozac which were'nt suitable (prozac was the worst) so its nice to find one that makes me feel stable without feeling strange. I don't tend to fly off the handle or be overly agressive or lying around too depressed to do anything when I take the meds. I'd still rather not take them though but apparently thats not best for me??!!??

I identify with a few things you said like missing the big picture because you're too busy focusing on things that may not be the most important at the time. I overthink things constantly and I even feel dissacociated with my body at times like I'm just this brain swimming around in a body.

I'm oppositional also and I don't tend to agree much with people so prefer to be quiet at times as I cannot be bothered explaining my point of view as it seems pointless to try and convince someone of something when I don't really care about their opinion as I think I'm right often. I'm not interested in being normal, but I still get pissed off that I'm expected to be.

A few weeks ago a girl at my work told me she thought I was 'twisted' and thats why she broke off our friendship, things like that make me annoyed to no end. I am what I am. Twisted sounds more interesting than straight laced anyday. I don't have a therapist at the moment as I'm not really in need of one I feel. I can cope with myself most of the time now.

I think people see me as strange and I'm annoyed at people for rejecting me for something I am trying to heal that I didn't ask for in the first place? Would someone not be a diebetics friend? I can do about as much about my chemical imbalance as they can their pancreas.

6. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

i have been treated for a few different things, it took them a while to pinpoint it really...ADHD, Depression, anxiety disorder.... i've done the therapy thing, and meds, and they WORK... the problem is i don't like to take them... all i can say...

TAKE YOUR MEDS

7. sexynzgirl

sexynzgirl New Member

I do, everyday without fail, mostly because my partner gets ratty with me if I don't and may I mention, you are very pretty bibi ;)

8. Logger

Gold Member

Dear NZ Girl,

I wouldn't worry about the friend who stopped being friendly. Not everyone is going to be friends, not forever. Spoken reasons probalby don't fully describe the total reality anyway.

My problem with my wife, is that she has mood swings similar to what you describe, but she is in denial about any variations in her mood. If she could acknowledge the cycling, then maybe we could address some of the issues together, or with meds, or with a therapist. Since my wife thinks she is fine, I just ride out her changes. But you seem several steps ahed of my wife, in that you recognize your swings, and do something about it. How can I get my wife started toward even recoginizing the swings?

Blessings

9. sexynzgirl

sexynzgirl New Member

I'm not sure how your wife would respond to honesty but its often been the best policy (for me anyway). Maybe suggesting to her that you have seen her moods swinging and you are concerned for her and want her to feel better because you love her, if she denies it, ask her to truly tell you honestly if thats really what she thinks. Emphasise that you desire health and happiness for both of you and that there is nothing to be frightened of perhaps? Maybe saying things like many people out there experience what shes' going through and shes not alone if she does decide to open up. You could ask questions like "have you ever noticed your feelings go up and down? How sometimes you feel happy then sad?" I love you and want to make you feel better".

Hope this helps Logger :)

10. Logger

Gold Member

Dear NZ Girl,

Thanks for the ideas. Directly talking about my wife's mood swings to my wife is something I have not tried for a while. Talking did not work before, but mentioning it every month or two, in a contructive manner, is somenthing I have not seriously attempted, and kept track of on my calendar.

I am not sure about dissociation. Some religions believe there is a Soul. If there is a Soul, then there is in fact a division and distinction between You, (your soul), and your physical body.

I was unable to find Celepram on webmd.com. Do you have any other information that would help me find Celepram in the United States? At least we could suggest a pill to my wife's doctors, which works for some people.

Any suggestions from therapists that you found useful? Insights?

Blessings

#10 Logger, Sep 9, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
  11. sexynzgirl

sexynzgirl New Member

actually logger I had a proper look at the packet and its actually called Citalopram (Celepram was the brandname) also known as hydrobromide I have 20mg daily. The therapy I've received has been more related to OCD and how to control my obsessions, thoughts , rituals etc not so much mood swings. I have been helped alot by therapy in this case if you want any information.

12. Logger

Gold Member

I found it. Thanks Seratonin uptake inhibitor.

13. touchzing

touchzing New Member

You are an individual not your diagnosis

Do yourself a favor; don’t take diagnoses or any other labels too seriously. We all use labels to short cut our communication. The problem is that we and others read too much shit into the label and make assumptions based on the labels. That is bull shit! You are an individual not your diagnosis.

14. KoenigNazgul

KoenigNazgul New Member

Yeah, Labels can suck, but since i haven't hit this thread I now get to label my labels.

I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder by my first therapist, the same by my psychiatrist, Dysthimia by my most recent therapist, and Meloncholia by myself. Other members of my family have Cyclothymia, MDD, and Manic Depressive (old term was bi-polar). So, you can see how genetics contribute, I'm sure environment played a strong role too though.

My first drug was Lexapro, an SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor), but it nearly caused me to slay myself a few weeks into it. I then switched over to Prozac (Fluoxetine) after that which worked better for me. I just stopped taking it of my own accord in conjunction with voluntarily ending my therapy, it proved to be negative to my mental health, and I still haven't rectified the situation in full. I've considered taking Cymbalta, a new drug by the makers of Prozac, but for those of you who remember the 19 yr old Eastern college female who commited suicide in February, Traci Johnson, this was the drug she was on. The drug carries a 2-3% increased risk of suicidality in the patient. Kind of funny that an anti-depressant can cause someone to take their own life.

So that's me and my mental disorder in a tiny bucket. Fill me up or pour me out.