men and sleep after sex.........

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kronnie, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

I know not all guys fall asleep after sex, i know i dont , but heres something i found that may explain why it happens

First, the obvious reasons for sex’s somnolent sway: the act frequently takes place at night, in a bed, and is, after all, physically exhausting (often more so for the man than the woman, although this certainly varies). So when sex is over, it’s natural for a guy to feel sleepy.

Secondly, research using positron emission tomography (PET) scans has shown that in order for a person to reach orgasm, a primary requirement is to let go of “all fear and anxiety.” Doing so also tends to be relaxing and might explain the tendency to snooze.

Then there is the biochemistry of the orgasm itself. Research shows that during ejaculation, men release a cocktail of brain chemicals, including norepinephrine, serotonin, oxytocin, vasopressin, nitric oxide (NO), and the hormone prolactin. The release of prolactin is linked to the feeling of sexual satisfaction, and it also mediates the “recovery time” that men are well aware of—the time a guy must wait before “giving it another go.” Studies have also shown that men deficient in prolactin have faster recovery times.

Prolactin levels are naturally higher during sleep, and animals injected with the chemical become tired immediately. This suggests a strong link between prolactin and sleep, so it’s likely that the hormone’s release during orgasm causes men to feel sleepy.

(Side note: prolactin also explains why men are sleepier after intercourse than after masturbation. For unknown reasons, intercourse orgasms release four times more prolactin than masturbatory orgasms, according to a recent study.)

Oxytocin and vasopressin, two other chemicals released during orgasm, are also associated with sleep. Their release frequently accompanies that of melatonin, the primary hormone that regulates our body clocks. Oxytocin is also thought to reduce stress levels, which again could lead to relaxation and sleepiness.

What about the evolutionary reasons for post-sex sleepiness? This is trickier to explain. Evolutionarily speaking, a man’s primary goal is to produce as many offspring as possible, and sleeping doesn’t exactly help in his quest. But perhaps since he cannot immediately run off with another woman anyway—damn that recovery time!—re-energizing himself via sleep may be the best use of his time.

And although there is conflicting information as to whether women feel sleepy after sex, a woman often falls asleep with the man anyway (or uses it for some key cuddling time), which is good news for him: it means she is not off finding another mate. When the man wakes up and she’s still there, he just might be ready to go again.

It’s also possible that sleepiness is just a “side effect” associated with a more evolutionarily important reason for the release of oxytocin and vasopressin. In addition to being associated with sleep, both chemicals are also intimately involved in what is called “pair bonding,” the social attachment human mates commonly share. The release of these brain chemicals during orgasm heightens feelings of bonding and trust between sexual partners, which may partially explain the link between sex and emotional attachment. This bond is favorable should the couple have a baby, as cooperative child rearing maximizes the young one’s chances for survival.

The bottom line is this: there are many potential biochemical and evolutionary reasons for post-sex sleepiness, some direct and some indirect—but no one has yet pinpointed the exact causes. One thing, however, is certain: we females better get used to it, because it doesn’t look likely to change anytime soon.

2. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

So ... sex is kinda like eating turkey ... thanks for that wonderful visual image Kronnie... :p

3. NaughtyKnickers

Gold Member

:rofl

A1... You never fail..

:lol

4. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

OOOooohhh It could be a new sex position .... doing it turkey-style. :lol

5. NaughtyKnickers

Gold Member

"Gob-b-b-b-b-b-ble g-o-b-b-bb-b--bb-b--b-ble!"

:rofl

Good one, A1 .. Spring break is doing you well, eh? :)

6. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

I needed some god damn R & R. I'm getting it, and Sat. is Drunken Irish day, so it sould be a good week.

7. bighiker2003

bighiker2003 Banned

THATS LIKE
    GOBBLE GOBBLE

8. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Now bend over i just to to baste that turkey , what you reckon, spit or roast ?

Tis just something i found :)

9. cbrmale

Gold Member

Actually, if you practice Tantric multiple orgasms, you don't feel sleepy after all even after you ejaculate. Something to do with the sexual energy reversals I think, but it is strange. You do get the afterglow, the overpowering desire to hold your lover and that thoughts that she is the most wonderful woman in the world. So you get afterglow: peace and contentment, but not tired.

Clearly I get oxytocin as women get it, but ít is clear that oxytocin doesn't cause tiredness. And women, as we well now, feel connected and pleasured, but not tired. So what I get is feminine-style many orgasms, and feminine-style afterglow.

It works out fine for morning and daytime sex, and it is nice to cuddle your lover in that mood of afterglow bliss. Very bad for nighttime sex, afterwards you lay in bed thinking 'I wish I could sleep now'. But we don't do nighttime sex much, we are both morning people.

10. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Yes tantric tantric.....
    With a natural high end sex drive i dont need tantric...
    But i put this up, because ive heard people wonder why some fall alseep after sex...

you know you dont half make me think of that guy from american pie lol...cant remember his name , but the nickname was shitbreak or something...

No offence but each time i hear the word Tantric i always think of american pie ...:)

11. Shy Girl

Shy Girl New Member

"let's go make turkey together babe!"

12. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

You can't just stick the turkey in...you have to preheat the oven first!

(This is someone's sig. I forget whose.)

13. cbrmale

Gold Member

Tantric doesn't do anything for sex drive, it just enhances the sex you have. For example, a typical male orgasm on a scale of one to ten rates about a three. A good one, about a four. Now with Tantric, your orgasms increase in intensity, so they rate around the 7 to 8 range. A ten I've only had once, and it ran for about three minutes and gradually increased in intensity until my whole body was alive with the sensations.

Of course, if the best you've had is a three or four, then you don't know what a 7 to 8 is. I suppose what you miss doesn't harm you, except the short-lived low-intensity type of orgasm that men typically experience is very different to the whole body for thirty second type of orgasm that comes with these techniques.

The other thing is that it is quite easy once you get it; I learnt it in four two-hour sessions, eight hours to totally change my sex life from good to unbelievable.

I don't believe in the whole lifestyle Tantric-type thing, I pick and choose the bits I want to use from the bits I don't.

14. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Good for you i hope you enjoy..

As for me im happy where im at..
    Lol im sorry i dont sit there contemplating now was that a 3 a 4 or more ....must get my marker out and fill it in on my wall chart...

And just how do you rate a male orgasm

At the end of the day i havnt had to many complaints..
    The bed or where ever we are having sex ( female and i ) is always soaked so i must be doing something right huh...and thats without the arts of american pie tantric.

15. cbrmale

Gold Member

I don't watch American films much, so I don't know the connection. We don't actually practice Tantric, we just borrow some of their practices.

As far as numbers go, it is just a guess: that is what an orgasm was like before, and this is what it is like now. As for women, they won't notice that much difference, so the sheets can be soaked either way. The only thing I know for sure that female orgasms are much more intense than male orgasms, and Tantric orgasms are more intense and more feminine, involving more of the body and less of the genitals. Even the 'no tired after' is a feminine response.

I have one regret, I didn't learn these simple but effective techniques earlier. But at least I know now.

16. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Thats good then, im glad you found something that helped you .

17. SexyScorp

Gold Member

I practise tantric sex with someone who lives over 3000 miles from me...

it is truly awesome...

in years to come, it will be "common" practise....for the moment its for witches and wizards...

lol

18. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

I got no problems with people doing tantric.

Good luck with it and i hope you all have lots of enjoyable none ejaculations sex from it...

I guess all this time that ive enjoyed a female to orgasm over my face and cock, i was wrong.

So is it that if a guy can get erect a lot , knows how to pleasure with more than just his dick, has a high sex drive and can take hours over foreplay, he should stop all that and learn tantric because its the new fad ?

19. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

One thing i would like to ask.....

If tantric sex is so mind blowingly great, why do you still need a partner ?