Meeting guyz in a rural environment

Discussion in 'Sex and Relationships' started by jnrain, Feb 5, 2004.

1. jnrain

jnrain New Member

I live in a very rural area and the nearest city (of any decent size) is about 100 miles away. I was wondering if anyone has some tips on how I could meet a guy in my area.

Any replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

2. Logger

Gold Member

Rural Gay Guys

Well I have heard morticians, and male hair dressers and male nurses are likely candidates. You could put an add in a grocery store, looking to buy old opera music tapes or records. That might be a discreet, not overly obvious way to put it.

You could talk to people around the area, like you are homophobic. "I hope I never run into one of those gay fellas, cause I might just lose my cool. You never heard of any one around these parts being gay did you? I sure better avoid any guys like that."

You might get your hair cut at a beauty salon, even though there are no men there. That could be a center of gossip, and if you found an older woman who might be uinderstanding, and she miight let you know who might be leaning.

Some business that is the center of knowing people, even like a feed store or a furniture store.

You don't mention if you are openly gay, or just keep it quiet. It seems that you might be more comfortable if you lived closer to a more cosmoplitan area, if you are gay. Is there a reason you need to stay where you are in the country? What are your living an working arrangements, and how could you accommodate a fella coming to live near you, from the city?

Try going to attend different churches in your area. Maybe a Catholic priest could keep your secret, and let you know. What kind of a relationship are you looking for? In an Episcopalian church, you could start up testing conversations by discussing the newly installed openly gay bishop, and the idea of starting separate curches.

For Unitarians, you could call the church to see if it was a WELCOMING CONGREGATION. That means the board has voted to welcome gay/lesbians, and take some steps to make their openness real. At the service, many church members wear name tags, and if there is a pink triangle on a person's name tag, that means that the person is open to be sociable to gays.

In the meantime, you could hook up with a young lady, and tell her you are trying to go straight, and maybe she would try harder to please you.

I have known some gay guys over the years, but I am not an expert.

Logger.

#2 Logger, Feb 6, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2004
  3. jnrain

jnrain New Member

Thank you for your reply. I definitely found some of your ideas useful, and plan on trying them.

The main reason I don't relocate is that I've lived here for most of my life and generally like the area (enough that I built a nice, new home here).

Once again, thank you very much for your reply.

John

4. Tson56

Tson56 New Member

Hey John,I feel sorry for your problem. I live in Denver CO and have that problem too,and its a big city. So I can see you would really be in a fix. The only thing I could suggest is maybe search via the internet. If I wasn't so old and you so young I would be glad to get to know you. I would love to live in the sticks.

5. touchzing

touchzing New Member

I also live in a rural area. It is not only often difficult to meet people in my community I have be to careful because the community is very conservative.