Medical question - stitches

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Puss_in_boots, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

So how badly do you need to cut yourself in order for it to require stitches?

I cut the tip of my thumb pretty thoroughly, but cleanly, on a piece of glass yesterday afternoon. I was drying a wineglass with a dishtowel and the glass shattered in my hand, a piece of it nearly slicing off the tip of my thumb. I managed to get the bleeding under control and got it wrapped up. Today it looks okay and there's no pain at all, but I'm kind of worried about this little flap of skin and flesh. It only hurts or bleeds a little when I accidentally bump it on something. Do you think I should get it looked at by a doctor?

2. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

If your worried about it...definately...how long since your last tetanus shot?

3. cook74

Gold Member

From the way you have explained the cut you might require one or two stitches at the most. The stitches will help it heal and will ensure that there is less of a scar. But if you bandage the cut well and stop using that thumb for a couple of days it will gradually heal.

I have had half a dozen such cuts, so I know how annoying they can be. Good Luck :)

4. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

I don't think they'll give you stitches for that. My mother's a nurse and most hospitals would use medical glue for something like that.

5. cook74

Gold Member

I never get stitches for my cuts, I just keep on working after they are bandaged so I have never seen this glue. Sounds great. But puss did mention that there was flesh, will the glue still be ok?

6. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Okay, I just got back from the doctor's office, and I didn't need stitches after all. The nurse just had me wash my hands thoroughly with anti-bacterial soap and then she bandaged it. They said that cuts on that part of the hand usually doesn't require stitches.

It's been over twenty-four hours since the incident and I thought it looked pretty good, but I just wanted that peace of mind. Thanks for the advice everyone! :)

7. Bluesy

Gold Member

My rule of thumb is that if I'm not drenched in blood, the wound isn't gaping, and it begins to clot after a few minutes, it gets bandaged at home. If you're accident-prone (like me!), it helps to have a little first-aid kit on hand: antiseptic, gauze pads, medical tape, different size band-aids. I've done the same thing to my finger before...whatever you do, don't take off your bandage to make hair washing easier; keep it on whenever you shower until the skin flap is mostly mended. I found that out the hard way, and everyone within a ten-mile radius heard the scream :eek :lol