Lower the drinking age?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AnonymousOne, Aug 27, 2008.

1. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Well there's bee all sorts of brouhaha over the drinking age in the US. As of right now ...
    128 college presidents have signed an initiative asking that the age be lowered to 18.

Here is a great article dispelling some of the MADD myths about the law by Jacob Sullum of REASON Magazine.

So what are your thoughts? Should we lower it? Raise it? Should we even have one?

2. sexyJ

sexyJ New Member

I say lower it...Here u have to be 21 to drink and 18 to buy ciggs..Makes no sense to me! You can drive a car at 16 and enter in any contract at 18 as well, but you cant drink until 21? I say lower it and make the penalties harsher when they drink and drive!

3. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Here's another great article from the Alcohol: Problems and Solutions website:

The Legal Drinking Age: Science vs Ideology

As for my feelings on this issue, I can't put it any more succinctly than this:

Source

Here's a great comment from that article you posted A1:

Using MADD's logic I propose the following:

Send 18-20 year olds to juvenile court.
    Raise SS registration to 21.
    Require government funded schooling to age 21.
    Declare all* contracts with 18-20 years invalid.
    Abortions will require parental permission for our newly declared irresponsible minors.
    Birth control prescriptions will also require parental permission.
    Tattoos and piercings will be forbidden to 18 - 20 year-olds as their brains aren't fully formed yet.
    Raise the voting age to 21.
    Require all parents to financially support their children until age 21.

*Especially marriage and age of consent.

4. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Part of the problem is the definition of "binge drinking".

They (MADD) say 5 drinks back to back is binging ... hell that sounds like a good night to me.

I see binging as like "I'm going to chug this cheap bottle of vodka here" kind of drinking. according to their definition I was a binge drinker in college.

Lower it to 18, MADD, get over yourselves.

5. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

According to the Centers for Disease Control, binge drinking:

"typically happens when men consume 5 or more drinks, and when women consume 4 or more drinks, in about 2 hours."

I agree that seems pretty conservative.

6. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

I love REASON magazine. Yes they are a bunch of crazy libertarians (ergo most people think they are crazy), but damn ... some of the things they write about are just spot on!

EDIT: See I got polled by MADD once at college and they didn't stipulate "withing two hours" they simply said in a night. This makes me question virtually all of their positions and any "data" they might have.

All these people want to do is couch prohibition in terms of "saving lives". If banning people from having something saves lives then why do we have gun deaths, drunk driving deaths and drug deaths.

It just seems ridiculous to me.

7. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

You know what causes the most driving deaths?

Driving.

It causes far more deaths every year than drinking or gun violence combined. Why are we even discussing lowering the drinking age and gun control? We should just ban driving. :eyes

8. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Oooohhh the Amish approach ...

"Don't Drink or Drive."

#8 AnonymousOne, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  9. heelfetish

Gold Member

I'm all for lowering the drinking age. But in the same breath, I'm also for much stiffer penalties for those that get behind the wheel after (or while) drinking. I'm violently against drinking & driving.

10. Infinite69er

Infinite69er New Member

Should be lowered, the age restrictions are all over the place in the US. 16 to drive, thats a good age for that. I agree with that quote you posted puss in boots, it doesn't seem logical to me. The U.S. government allows 18 yr olds all of those responsibilities but wont allow them to consume alcohol until 3 years later.

11. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Same here. That's why you take their keys at the door.

12. Infinite69er

Infinite69er New Member

:tup

13. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

I'm still impressed that Puss is Amish.

14. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Alas, I'm not very good at it. I'm probably the only Amish person who owns a computer and is pro-gun.

15. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

I hereby dub Puss as "Heretical Amish" or Perhaps "Unorthodox Amish" is better. :lol

16. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Now where did I put that butter churn...

Oh, that it be fucked, t'is too much work the making of butter. Just run thee down to the shops and buy some.

17. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

I love how every single thread around here get's completely derailed and by the end of it we all sit around and go ... "Now how did THAT happen?" :lol

18. Katprr

Katprr New Member

Since I have worked in the medical field, I guess my opinion here is a little bit different then most peoples. Honestly I think that the whole age thing is an oxymoron. They say that at 21 you should be mature enough basically to handle and know your limit, this is not true, hell I have seen 52yr olds not mature enough to drink.
    As far as tougher laws on DUI offenders, hell here where I live they are charging a dollar etc.. on our water bills to help pay for the cost of these DUI offenders, which is bullshit, I didnt do the crime and neither did all the people being charged but we have to pay for them.
    Now I can tell you I know some pretty mature 15yr olds that have more brains then adults, and common sense.
    I have seen more then my fair share of DUI accidents and traumas in the trauma room to complete my life. If they drop the age that is fine since at 18 you can be charged as an adult, and face the adult institution. Yes they let children drive at 16 but to let them drink ?? I am not to sure about that unless if they drop the age to 16 they have to have parents consent to drink, and the parents are held liable for their actions, or they arent aloud to drive. I have seen enough traumatic things and accidents during my time on the Trauma team that I care never to remember again.
    Dropping the age to 18 again, in my opinion is not a big deal since well if you have all the rights of an adult at 18 then you screw up and drive then you face the harsh penalty. I still have never understood the right of allowing 16yrs old to drive but then again I am sure I never will. I mean at least if they are driving and their is no adult in the vechile the parents are still liable for their actions, I guess the same thing would apply to this if the age ever dropped to below 18.
    Okay I am done rambling.

19. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Lower it. I began drinking "illegally" at 16, then when I was legal at 18, they changed it to 21. It doesn't matter what the legal age is, kids that want to drink are going to drink.

20. Dreama

Gold Member

Yeah, I think lowering it would be the best thing to do. I mean, it doesn't matter so much for me. I can get alcohol if I want. I mean, my mom and dad think it's absurd that I can be married but not be 'old enough' to drink, so they will either get it for me, or they'll have the occasional drink with me. I think drinking and driving is a terrible thing. I'm all for stiffer penalties on idiots who do it, instead of them ruining the law for all of us.