lovely road trip

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by awakened, Mar 15, 2011.

1. awakened

awakened New Member

Well, we left early this morning for our country vacation/work trip. Three hours on the highway and klunk klunk klunck!!!!!! Transmissions???????? Thank goodness in-laws live an hour away. Unload guns, clothes,kids,dogs,food,wood, tools. Tow truck to nearest Chevy dealership. Oh, what fun lives we lead!!!!!

2. backcheck64

Gold Member

Oh that great GM feeling. Sits in the driveway LIKE A ROCK.

Bummer, breakdowns on vacations suck. One of our hockey families broke down on the way to the state playoffs...and it was a GM. At least you weren't 5 hrs from the nearest person you know.

Hope things get better for you.

We're heading out to VA in May. The tranny barely made it back from a trip out there in 95.....Love my Hondas and Nissans.

3. Everett_Spair

Everett_Spair Member

That is some bad luck.

4. Mittimer

Gold Member

Don't feel bad, love!
    On the way out at the end of me and mines honeymoon no more then 5 miles from the hotel we got a flat tire. Ended up having to be towed (Thank god by a young tow driver our car was covered in totally raunchy newlywed things lol) to the nearest place to get our tire fixed. Did I mention it took an hour for him to get there...and it was raining. :(

Great end to a honeymoon, no? :p

5. backcheck64

Gold Member

Here's a travel problem so you don't feel alone.

Two years ago we were coming back from Steamboat CO. Driving up the mountain out of Silverthorn, about a mile from the top we get a rear flat. So we are in a hell of an incline, no freakin oxygen, two kids, 5 bikes on the back, and the rear loaded damn near to the roof. So we had to unload the bikes, then unload the back to get to the spare and jack. Well the spare isn't going to hold the kind of weight we had in the back of this thing plus all the bikes so I decided to put the spare on the front and move the front to the back. We get the spare on, the tires moved, and I found where a nail had punctured the tire. I had a plug kit so I fixed the tire, but all we had was a bike pump. The kids and I took turns pumping since there was no air while my wife held the brakes to the van woudn't fall off the jack or run backwards down the mountain. Finally got 30psi in it and put it on the front. THEN had to put the spare back, reload the back end, load the bikes....oh so much fun.

6. PlayfulTip

PlayfulTip New Member

I think everyone has a horror story. We were driving up the interstate to a horse show with a trailer full of 8 horses. We got a flat on the trailer and before we could even get pulled over and stopped the flat had caught fire. Being that we had the trailer windows open and bags full of hay inside we were a bit on edge. We had to pull all 8 horses out, on the interstate, and try to put the fire out. It was too big so we had to call the fire department. In case some of you may not know, horses are fight or flight creatures so we had a hell of a time trying to keep them calm and not get hit by speeding cars. Everyone ended up safe in the end but it was definitely a day to remember and hopefully never repeat.

7. DarkJewel

DarkJewel New Member

AW....sorry your trip got ruined:(

Backcheck,my husband also hates Chevy,but we have had one for 8 years and it has been pretty decent.

8. Ready2Please

Gold Member

Ford Built Tough!!

Sorry your trip was ruined.

#8 Ready2Please, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  9. Alwayslearningsex

Gold Member

I was coming back home ..... in a GM in '97 and almost halfway into the trip there is a horrible noise under the hood. Stop at the gas station to refill and have a look under - the alternator is seized.
    It's winter time arriving in the city and turned everything off to have enough battery power to make it, even the heat and lights. Gladly city lights were on. Never used the flashers to turn, forced a red light, parked in a hotel parking lot and had the tow truck take the van away after we unloaded in a room for the night. Luckily the alternator and serpentine belt were replaced the next day and the battery recharged, and we finished the trip home.

10. awakened

awakened New Member

We are in the country safe and sound. Husband already out on the tractor working on the road.

11. backcheck64

Gold Member

I'm a contractor so I'm hard on trucks, Chevy let me down repeatedly, went to a Nissan and it outdoes the chevy on every level and rock solid dependablity. A hell of a lot more power. T

12. dude2154

dude2154 Member

Let's see here you replaced how old of a chevy with how new of a nissian

13. backcheck64

Gold Member

Chevy was 5 yrs old, the Titan is now 6yrs old, over 100K, everything works and drives like new, pulling 0-60 still in 6.7sec. Pulls bobcats regularly, trailers loaded with 7000 to 11000lbs, taken off road...and not a problem. I know over a dozen guys that switched for both Ford and Chevy. I almost bought a Ford, but my wife told me to drive the Nissan, brilliant woman, one drive is all it takes. I've had several Chevy trucks and a total of 15 GMs...never, NEVER again. Plus the Nissans engine is from TN, the body is stamped and assembled in MS, axles are built 30 miles from here, designed in Ca., engineered in MI. Union built. Smoked a chevy pulling the trailer (Chevy was a 07 or 08 and empty) and the trailer weights 1700lbs empty.

In 2000 we took the Chevy out to my sisters in ID. While making the trek out there with no problems...I did have to replace the alternator in it at my sisters.

#13 backcheck64, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011