Long Distance Relationship?

Discussion in 'Sex and Relationships' started by civeta_dei, May 28, 2007.

1. civeta_dei

civeta_dei New Member

I met a girl several months ago through an internet networking site. It's not a dating website, it's just used for networking. I live in New York, and she lives in Utah. We started off just sending each other mail back and forth on the website. Then we brought it onto instant messenger, and then eventually the phone. We talk every night for anywhere from 1-3 hours, with very few exceptions. The first few months it was just us talking, and it was nice to be able to talk with someone and be completely open without worrying about the repurcussions it may have within your immediate social circle. And when we were both so open with each other, I guess we really liked what we saw. And of course, we have exchanged many pictures, and just to get the thought out of anyone's heads, yes I know the pictures aren't faked, or not really her. I have one where she's holding up a sign with my name on it. About a month ago, we were on the phone, and she accidentally dropped the "L" word. But the strange thing is that I had almost dropped it a couple times already, I am just better at cutting myself off. We both accepted the fact that we had fallen in love with the person on the other end of the phone, which may sound crazy and outlandish to some people, I know it does to me. We're planning to meet in mid-August, and I have never been so excited and scared for something in my life.
    I apologize for the long introduction, but I felt it was necessary to include the back story.

What I want to know is things to look for in this kind of thing, is it a bad idea? good idea? Has anyone had experience with this sort of thing before? Am I crazy? I guess I just want feedback on the whole idea, but I don't want to talk to my friends from around here about it because they'll think I'm crazy. Any feedback is accepted, so please don't censor yourselves. Thanks guys.

p.s. I am 19, she is 18, I am starting my junior year in college, and she is starting her freshman year soon. I know some people may just automatically answer that I'm too young to know what love is, and normally I would agree. But she is an amazing girl, and if you knew her, you wouldn't have any doubts.

#1 civeta_dei, May 28, 2007
    Last edited: May 28, 2007
  2. Silent22

Silent22 New Member

Well me and you are in the same bout, I met a girl when I traveled to her province for baseball, 6 years later I msged her and we hit it off. We been goin out now for over a year, its not a crazy thing, your not crazy. You cant help who you love at all, and as for being to young, you are suppose to explore all your possibilities. There is such thing as true love, so dont let something go like this because it is of weird circumstances. You never know, just keep in contact with her and slowly wait and see what happens.

3. LaVitaDolce

LaVitaDolce New Member

I know this all too well. :) No, you don't sound crazy.. Not one bit. I'd go for it and see what happens.

4. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

Naw, it's not crazy. If you're both honest and open, you can get to know each other very well without ever meeting. I met my second wife online back before there was a true "internet" -- 1992. We met on a bulletin board for writers, exchanged some professional information, then began exchanging long, detailed emails. By the time we met two or three months later we had compiled over 500 pages of single-spaced letters and knew each other better than we'd ever known anyone else. We held back on any L-words until we met, but I know we both felt it. We married the following year and had a wonderful partnership until she died unexpectedly a few years later. I've had a couple good relationships since then and am again married and in love with a very lovely lady (who I also met online), but she was the true soulmate of my life. Incidentally, it was also a NYC-Rocky Mountains relationship. Good luck to you both.

5. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

I met my SO online in a regional chat site just over 4 years ago now. We felt the same thing, we were just able to open up to eachother and trust eachother without worrying about repercussions or judgement. We were both in other relationships when we first started talking but they were on the outs already and we both ended them soon after. I was just shy of 18 when we started dating and a freshman in college

We mark our anniversary from the day we first met face to face, have been together over three years now and are planning to be married

So, no your not crazy, not by anymeans. The ways of meeting people expanded with the internet and I think it just gives us so much more opportunity to meet the person who is truly right for us