Link between cervical cancer & foreskins

Discussion in 'Sex and Relationships' started by hoodie6789, Nov 29, 2012.

1. hoodie6789

hoodie6789 New Member

Hello to all, thought I'd make my first post about something that's close to home & been bugging me for years.

First of all, a little about myself. I am 41yo, uncircumcised, with a loving wife.
    When I was younger, while not being overly sexually active, when I did have sex I would always have a condom handy. I wasn't until I met my wife ( my first long time girlfriend ) that I started having unprotected sex. My wifes previous partners were all circumcised until me. About 18 months into our relationship, my wife contracted cervical cancer & had to have a total hystermectomy. I wondered weather it was me being uncircumcised lead to her getting cervical cancer even though I washed my penis & foreskin thoughourly morning & night. We did some reseach about any increased risk of cervical cancer with an uncircumcised partner & came up with some mixed answers. I have got to the point where I have considered getting circumcised as I think it was to much of a coincidence that she got cervical cancer & I was her first uncircumcised partner.

Would like to know about ladies thoughts about uncircumcised partners or uncircumcised men that have had partners that have been though cervical cancer, either directly ( yourself or partner ) or indirectly ( friends ). Especially your thoughts on whether circumcisions would or could prevent cervical cancer.

2. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Dear Hoodie,
    First of all welcome to SF and secondly forget any personal involvement in your spouse's condition because quite evidently the time frame is all wrong by years or even decades!
    How do I know?
    Well, for starters it is in my field of professional expertise but secondly you can verify & convince yourself via Dr Google that Cervical Cancer is most often caused by certain viruses (sexually transmitted) that take years or even decades to develop into CIN1 let alone CIN3 lesions.
    Sleep easy dude but commiserations all the same.
    Bottom line be like me and keep your skin intact and enjoy the feeling!

3. Dragon_Fire

Gold Member

Yes I had suspicious cells zapped several years ago. All the information I read at that time suggested that it took at least 10 years for contact with a virus such as HPV to develop into what I had which was nowhere near cancer at that time but could have developed had I ignored it. Even then, it would have taken years to become cancerous.

4. AGFUNK

Gold Member

I've gotten hpv two to three times in my life. Most of the men I had unprotected sex with were circumcised. There were only a couple that were not. The first time I got it was after having sex for the first time. He was uncircumcised.

Men are carriers of hpv and most never have any symptoms at all so it would be almost impossible to try to figure out who she got it from although it's most likely not you since you said that you used condoms everytime. So I would stop worrying about that.

5. Barbwire

Gold Member

6. Trond

Gold Member

To the OP: nah, it has likely nothing to do with you being uncircumcised. Circumcision has been popular for various good or bad reasons, but it was never the norm in the world at large. It is not widespread in Europe, and it is not as if cancer is running rampant there. In ancient Egypt it was a rite of passage for young boys (and it always had to be cut with a flint knife, so it was supposed to hurt I guess), then the Jews picked it up and made it their own somehow maybe while they were in Egypt, and later it was supposed to help to prevent masturbation (hysterical parents in other words). Some reports show a slight increase in certain cancers if you keep your foreskin, but many people also report having other problems due to lack of foreskin. Besides, if we are supposed to remove anything that has a teeny tiny chance of giving us cancer we might as well cut our heads off and be done with it (brain cancer you know).

7. octavius

Gold Member

How is HPV spread? - YouTube

The guy in the video is a world renown oto surgeon. HPV is incredibly easy to transmit and I think that is the single most important factor here. It is the reason every young boy and girl should get vaccinated at as young an age as possible. Having a foreskin creates a small but statistically significant risk for transmission of a number of stds including HPV. On an individual basis is this the defining factor in the transmission? Probably not. In fact 18 months is not enough time to be the cause of her cervical cancer. She likely caught HPV a long time ago by some other means.

Arguments for circumcision are based on population statistics where small but statistical significant changes in disease transmission can produce reduced health care costs/disease impact when very large numbers are involved. The benefits of circumcision have to be weighed against the monetary costs of the procedure and risk of having minor surgery at birth. That cost benefit ratio is why insurance companies don't pay for circumcision anymore in a country like the USA. Is there a statistically significant benefit to cover circumcision? YES. Is the impact of circumcising infants cause enough benefits to offset the costs of the procedure:NO. In the case of HPV early vaccination is by far the most effective intervention.

#7 octavius, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  8. Polly

Polly Member

Cancer has more to do with hormonal imbalance than anything else (as well as HPV). Don't worry about if you're cut or not.

9. AGFUNK

Gold Member

Hpv is not a hormonal imbalance. It's a virus. It has nothing to do with hormonal imbalances.

10. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Hormones can certainly influence the rate of cancer growth but I have never heard it to be the root cause of it.
    On the other hand HPV can cause cervical cellular changes which then progress slowly towards becoming cancerous.