Let's have a music news thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sandwich, Oct 30, 2012.

1. sandwich

Gold Member

Hi y'all. I was thinking the other day that maybe we should have a music news thread, and I was going to wait for my other music thread to die for good, but I must start it now. This is the only post I have time to make tonight.

The purpose of this thread is to post music news of interest such as reunions, breakups, concert tour announcements, album releases, etc. You might have some news to share that the rest of us haven't heard, and I know that I will more than likely learn about bands and solo artists I have never heard of....all because of the time you take to share here. Maybe you will discover something new too!

Please also feel free to write new music reviews here. I can guarantee you that what you have to say will be a hell of a lot more interesting than what the "professionals" write.

Okay, here's my news.....

Soundgarden will be performing on Late Night With David Letterman on November 12th. It even gets better than that! They will also be doing a Live With Letterman webcast the same day!! This was announced today, and it is all going to unfold the night before the release of their new studio album called "King Animal". They have not released a studio album since the 1996 album, "Down on the Upside". For me, this was the best music of my hs years, and it killed me that they broke up a year later. I love it even more today.

2. diehard

Gold Member

I have recently discovered a Christian rock band, the rhett walker band, that is very good. Sort of a southern rock sound, and the singer has a miles kennedy (alterbridge) range.

3. 12barblues

Gold Member

I have no news but would love to hear some......there is a band called Paul Reddick and the sidemen. They did a song a while back called " I'm a criminal" a funky, harmonica heavy, blues- rocker....it was later used in a Pepsi advertisement ..this one song can be found on YouTube. .....the band has since disappeared , never to be heard from again.....I have asked about them on several other forums and no one has ever even heard of them. Let alone where they may have gone....I guess I should have stuck with liking bands like led zeppelin and pearl jam...lol

4. mrcock

Gold Member

fuck, loved your other thread. you mind if some will still keep it existing?

:lol

5. sandwich

Gold Member

Thanks Diehard and BB for alerting me to new music.

And my dear MrCock....as long as we keep posting songs we can't live without, that thread will continue to exist. I'll just have two music threads. Besides, it occurred to me that I could still be posting songs I can't live without this time next year. I no longer have any songs I am willing to delete from my iPod so I'm getting a second one. My number of songs I can't live without is in the thousands.

6. sandwich

Gold Member

I read in the October 11th issue of Rolling Stone that Neil Young released a new memoir on September 24th. This is one of the things I will get my mom for Christmas if she doesn't find out about it and buy it herself. I'm not really into him, but she loves his music and listened to it all the time when I was growing up. It seems I was just over-Neiled. To be fair, my parents never told me why they bought me a CD player out of the blue, but it's probably because they were sick of hearing U2 on the family stereo.

I found Young's "Waging Heavy Peace" online selling for $18.00. It's subtitle is "A Hippie Dream".

I was so excited about spilling the news about Soundgarden's new album that I forgot to mention that another one of my favorites, Christina Aguilera, has a new album coming out the same day...November 13th.

7. mrcock

Gold Member

ah seems like I just got ma positive for the day now. thanks milady, all the luck to you, and I am back to a daily routine now. hope to see you soon again also

:lol

8. sandwich

Gold Member

I recently received word via Facebook that Soundgarden has announced more tour dates/locations. None of them are terribly close to me but I will be there!!!

I received a sexy pic of Chris Cornell and his guitar and this quote of his:

"We sort of got together in an effort to start a website, talk about reissues and B-sides and just create a place for our fans to buy some t-shirts. Stuff that we never got around to when we were together. Well you do that, and suddenly you're a band again. Then at that point you start thinking, 'It'd be cool to play again.'"

Hell yeah!

And...there is a contest I heard about that comes with some great prizes for the winner(s)...first class airline seats to a tour city, free concert tickets to Soundgarden concerts for a year, a Kim Thayil guitar, meeting the band...there might be more but this is all I remember for certain...there might have been a hotel stay. Check your local radio station websites. In my city the contest goes through Nov. 23rd.

9. LilBAM

Gold Member

My mom is flipping out over the fact that Cheap Trick is opening for Aerosmith in Austin this Friday. She'd kill to see either band, but isn't able to go. I'll be in Austin that weekend for something completely different, and I don't have the money for it either. It's a shame, because that would be good stuff.

10. sandwich

Gold Member

My uncle is taking me and my cousin to the Cheap Trick/Aerosmith concert. I'm not a big fan, but I like a few Aerosmith songs. We also went to a Rush concert this fall. We just about always go to whatever concert he wants to see, but there's not a chance he will go to a Soundgarden concert with me. Even if it's not a favorite, there is something awesome about being there in person.

11. LilBAM

Gold Member

You went to go see Rush? I'm already jealous. I cannot think of another band I would want to see more than them.

12. sandwich

Gold Member

I will try to be at least a little unbiased and announce things about bands and artists I don't follow. With that in mind, I heard that INXS has broken up after 35 years.

Rolling Stone has released a special collectors edition about Led Zeppelin, and I will be buying it as soon as I get a chance. I subscribe to the RS daily newsletter (online), and today they released a top 40 best Zep songs list that appears in the special edition. Only one (Ramble On) of my favorites made it into their top ten. Here is their top 5: Whole Lotta Love, Stairway to Heaven, Black Dog, Kashmir and Ramble On. I've only heard one Zep song that I don't like, and the rock gods of the universe may curse me for saying this, but it's Stairway to Heaven. I find it to be hopelessly boring.

Soundgarden are on the cover of the Nov/Dec 2012 issue of Revolver Magazine. I will be sleeping with it under my pillow when it gets here.

13. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

The Deftones just released a new album on the 13th titled "KOI NO YOKAN"! :D

I picked up the CD and it's brilliant...resembles their old roots from "White Pony". Worth checking out for any Deftones fans out there.

14. sandwich

Gold Member

I noticed the Deftones album when I bought the new Soundgarden album, but I forced myself not to buy it so I could commune with my guys for a while. I hear it's really good.

I was going to give y'all my Grammy nomination predictions a day or so after Thanksgiving, but life went all wacky so I didn't get around to it. So...y'all will just have to believe me when I say I was going to predict that the Black Keys would be nominated for both its album, El Camino, and its single, Lonely Boy. I think they racked up five or six nominations.

Lonely Boy is not my favorite song on the album, but I do like it. The Black Keys are a duo, but they are more than just a vocalist/guitarist and a drummer. Dan Auerbach, the vocalist/guitarist sounds like a southern rocker, but no, he and the drummer are from Akron, Ohio.

Here is the Grammy nominated single...

The Black Keys - Lonely Boy @ Pukkelpop 2012 - YouTube

Here is my favorite....can't ya just hear a southern boy in that northerner?

The Black Keys - Gold On The Ceiling - David Letterman 12-7-11 - YouTube

I love this one almost as much....it plays softly for about half the record and then starts rocking like crazy....

The Black Keys - Little Black Submarines - Lowlands 2012 - YouTube

An aside...life is good when you can start writing about music again.

15. sandwich

Gold Member

I'm takin' a little work at home break just to post this song (and a couple other things)...figures I would interrupt myself to post about music and not sex. It's all related in my world.

Here is a sneak peek at Alice in Chain's "Hollow" which is to be part of their 2013 album. Gonna have to try real chains one of these days...see...it all works together.......

Alice in Chains Premiere New Song, "Hollow" | Guitar World

(This is from a free music newsletter so I hope this post is allowed.)

I wonder if Layne would like it....sigh.

I also have a couple bits of better late than never news...

First.....Rush will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on April 18, 2013. It's about time! They have been part of the Canadian version (can't remember the exact name) for years. Fan voting was involved...wish I had known.

Second.....The film version of the musical, Les Miserables, will be released on Christmas day. I've known about this for a long time, and I can't wait to see it. My mom took me to see it on stage years ago.

Les Miserables happens to be my favorite novel of all time. I'm not sure I could say it's my favorite musical but it's near the top of my list. If you are unfamiliar with it and like a good tale of redemption, you just might like it. Victor Hugo was quite the story teller.

Maybe you've seen the non-musical version starring Liam Neeson as Jean Valjean. He was perfectly cast. (I might have to put him on my who I'd like to fuck list). I didn't know that Hugh Jackman had any musical bones in his body...we shall see...how he comes off as Jean Valjean will make or break the movie.

16. suzy7

Gold Member

Cool tune, I also like your new avatar, lol,
    he,he, cute, xxx

17. sandwich

Gold Member

I am sad to report that Adam Gontier, lead singer of Three Days Grace, has resigned. He plans to move on to other undisclosed things.

18. sandwich

Gold Member

So much has happened in the music world in recent weeks that I am just gonna skip posting about it for now. If I get time I will....got behind on everything during the holidays and my bout with pneumonia.

This news is already online, but even though I'm not the type to say I told ya so, well...I told ya so. The Black Keys picked up three Grammys earlier this evening....best rock performance (Lonely Boy), best rock album (El Camino) and best rock song (Lonely Boy). I was bummed that the latter two awards were announced before the televised portion. OMG...what's with people and rock? The guitar lives on baby!!!

I posted "Lonely Boy" earlier in this thread if you want to take a listen.

I figured Babel (Mumford and Sons) would win album of the year, and it did. I have been on the library waiting list for it for months. Unless an album was recorded by a favorite band or solo artist, I always borrow from the library to see if I want to buy.

I almost forgot...Dan Auerback, lead guitarist and vocalist of The Black Keys, won a Grammy for best producer (non-classical). I am happy to say this is the one band I got to see before fame hit.

Sorry, Taylor, but I fast forwarded through your performance. I am never ever gonna listen to that song again...the first time was enough...can't remember a song grating on my nerves so much. Alas, you are not alone....I also fast forwarded through Justin Timberlake and Maroon 5.

Other songs that either received an individual award or were part of an album that won included these.....

Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know (feat. Kimbra) - official video - YouTube

My favorite dress of the night was worn by Kimbra who was featured on the above Gotye song. Some of you boob men would have loved Katy Perry's frock. Here are the two women....

Google Image Result for http://cdn02.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/headlines/2013/02/gotye-grammys-2013-red-carpet-with-kimbra.jpg

Google Image Result for http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/t_EceOZ_QCPEZ2cIxbZ39w--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en-GB/blogs/the-juice/katy-perry-grammys3242.jpg

Female rocker alert....

HALESTORM - Love Bites (Official Video HD) - YouTube

Here's some pics of Carrie Underwood from her performance. She looked like a Disney princess, and images were being projected onto her dress.....

Google Image Result for http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/5118729b6bb3f72e18000011-2164-1570/photo%25202-1-3.jpg

Google Image Result for http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/5118729a6bb3f79f1c000008-2528-1535/photo%25204-8.jpg

Google Image Result for http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/5118729769bedd0646000000-1821-1117/photo%25201-14.jpg

Here is her song....

Carrie Underwood - Blown Away - YouTube

Okay...I am gonna post this cuz I already lost five songs from this post....I may repost them later.

#18 sandwich, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  19. obi1

obi1 Member

Why on earth would drake win best rap album. The grammy's are a joke.