Least "painful" contraception/birth control for a WOMAN

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by BobbyG, Jan 21, 2012.

1. BobbyG

BobbyG New Member

(I hope this is not the wrong sub-forum for this thread! If it is, my apologies).

Basically my wife and I would like to know the answer to the thread title.
    We're from the UK, but we'd like replies/experience from wherever you are as we live in a global village these days.

After researching all the various birth control techniques/products currently on the market, we plumped for the female coil (placed inside the uterus). The name escapes me right now, but AFAIK there are two types of coil - one that stops the female's egg from lodging itself to the womb, and another coil that allows the egg to stick BUT then kills off the egg once it has been fertilised.
    We didn't want to kill off the egg post-fertilisation so we chose the first type of coil (the one that simply does not allow the egg to attach itself to the womb lining).

Unfortunately the coil messed around with my wife's periods/menstrual cycle.
    She bled a lot more and it was more painful bleeding too.

So we had the coil removed.

We don't really want to take the female pill as we'd prefer to use birth control that doesn't affect the body that much - and we read that the pill alters the period in such a way that they periods may even stop for a few months. This seems to be a bit unnatural for us. And my wife is naturally apprehensive about that aspect.

Coitus interruptus is no fun.

And all forms of permanent contraception (e.g. vasectomy etc.) are no-go's for the both of us.

So we've been using condoms for some time now. :ugh

We would appreciate it greatly if you guys could relay your experiences and knowledge of birth control and contraception methods that did not give undue pain to the woman.
    At the end of the day, I would rather wear a condom (for now) than make my wife suffer, just for MY pleasure.

2. cbrmale

Gold Member

BobbyG,
    I think you and your wife are over-estimating the impact of female hormonal birth control. My wife was on the then new (now current) lower-horomonal pill with no obvious side-effects. Her cycles were regular, and it had no obvious impact in other ways. The bonus with the pill is that it does reduce the risk of breast cancer. There are now other, more convenient methods of hormonal delivery such as under the skin or 3-monthly injections. The one thing about a daily pill which worried me was if she forgot.

After we had our two children I had a vasectomy and she stopped the pill, and there didn't seem to be any difference to her.

I think the pill has a bad name because the very early 1960s version was far too strong! This mistake was eventually realised, and by the time we married in 1986 the dosage had been significantly changed. I have never used condoms with my wife: I don't like them and I don't think they're reliable enough.

3. jandj05

jandj05 New Member

Cbrmale is correct.

There are different types of the birth control pills- (there is a kind where you can not have periods regularly but that's for people who request that type of pill)

But with regular birth control pills she should be able to have a regular period.

I would say a lot depends on the woman and their hormonal levels. I have been on 2 different types- a low estrogen and then the regular.

I have also done the Depo- Provera shot (get a shot once every 3 months) however I would have random irregular spotting all the time which was annoying so I stopped after 2 yrs of it.

With the pill she should be fine-your body first has to get use it, so the first and second month may be off but most ppl's bodies adjust to it. If not they can see if she needs a low estrogen birth control pill and try that option.

She just needs to make sure she is good at taking pills everyday and not forgetting.

4. backcheck64

Gold Member

My wife was on the pill for 15yrs with no adverse effects.

5. Wildwoman59

Wildwoman59 New Member

My older daughter (age 26) uses the Nuva ring. It is a vaginal ring that is put in for 3 weeks. Then 1 week without. I think it works similar to the pill. I don't know too much about it except that she prefers it over both the pill and Depro shot. It might be something to check out.