Ladies - Can you go to the gyno while on your period?

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by Jayce, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayce

Gold Member

My girlfriend is going to schedule her first appointment and I was just like, well I wonder, what if your period hits?

Do they just suck it up and accept the fact they have rubber gloves on to examine? Or do they reschedule?

2. pirouette

Gold Member

That depends on why she's going and what the appt. is for.

3. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

It's probably not a good idea to go in for a pelvic exam when she's in the middle of her peroid, but it's okay to go toward the end of it when she's still 'spotting,' which means there's still some blood up there but most of it has come out. I went in for a pelvic at the end of my cycle and it was okay.

4. Jayce

Gold Member

She's going to start her first checkup that she eventually wants to continue as an annual thing, plus she wants to get on birth control.

5. Jayce

Gold Member

New question. Someone told my girlfriend that she may be able to get gyno checkups + BC prescriptions directly from her doctor without going to an actual gyno. She's hoping she can because she doesn't have much time before she goes back to college. The one stipulation though is, she HAS to go to her doctor whether she likes it or not. Her doctor has to recommend her to a gyno in order for it to be covered by her insurance. So hopefully she can get this done in one shot since she has limited time left.

In your experience, has the doctor office ever offered such services? Or did you folks have to go to a gyno?

6. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

I guess it depends on whether your regular GP offers such services. My first pelvic exam/PAP smear was done by my regular doctor and it was fine. I was sixteen and my mom thought I'd be really scared or something, but I wasn't. I knew this was a medical exam and there was nothing to be freaked out about. It did seem kind of weird I guess, that the same doctor who checked my throat and looked in my ears, was now looking in my vagina. Oh well.

7. pussycat69

Gold Member

Usually your OB gives you the years script for your BC pills,but if you have issues where you need an extra pack for some reason and you get get ahold of your OB and you have a decent relationship with your PC doctor,they can give you a month or so supply.(This is what I had experienced anyways).But all doctors'll recommend that you get your annual with your OB.

As for going to the gyno on your period...if it's just a check up and aunt flow is visiting,call them up and tell them,they'll usually reschedule you.They will see you if it's that time of the month,but usually if it's for something more significant.

8. sparklebaby

sparklebaby New Member

Better to reschedule. For many reasons.

9. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

I just wanted to point out that the OB/GYN, doctor, nurse, or whoever's conducting the exam should be wearing gloves anyway, whether or not she's on her period.

10. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

I would imagine she would need a PAP smear before being prescribed BC pills, and if she is at the beginning or middle of her period, it can be tricky getting a smear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.