Katrina

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bluenavigator, Aug 28, 2006.

1. bluenavigator

bluenavigator New Member

Right now, it is almost a year since last year's worst hurriance ever recorded. I just finished watching "Surviving Katrina" on Discovery Channel (US tv show on paid cable service).

It made me really sick after seeing terrible things that had happened a year ago. I was ready to puke. I just can't believe how low it can get in middle of disaster...

Right now, it is pretty much empty as there are still people working to clean up the big mess. I still have no idea what it will look like, a year later in 2007. There are tons and tons of debrises, cars, buildings and everything - pretty much everywhere. I had talked to my wife about 2006 Hurriances. We don't think that there will be any worse hurriance than Katrina. Of course, when one comes to US Coastal land, everyone will talk about Katrina over and over. Katrina is something that we couldn't forget at all.

2. Emt

Emt New Member

I definitly understand your sentiments but I don't think Katrina actually was the worst hurricane in history. There was one or two others that were much worse. It's just that the devastation and casualties were so widespread and the media helped to open everyone's eyes as to just how bad things were.

The thing I think we have to look at is the societal break-down and what that's like when law and order cease to exist.The hurricane really was only half of the problem. The gangs and looters were the other half. Sadly, being armed and well organized determined whether you lived or were looted and possibly killed/died.

I've never had so much respect for water that's for sure...

-Emt

3. bluenavigator

bluenavigator New Member

Yes, That's what I am talking about. The society, itself, isn't what we expected to see in that area. Completely chaos and many things that went wrong.

Again, yes about the fact that Katrina isn't the worst hurriance in US History. Galvestion Hurricane of 1900 is the worst hurricane in US History. It killed between 8,000 to 10,000 people in Galvestion, Texas. Lot of people weren't accounted for. Many of generations were killed so that nobody can claim that they existed. One orphanage home along with nuns was almost wiped out but three kids survived. Some of them were buried in houses as they were drown. Some of them were swept down in the ocean. Many people didn't know how to swim. No early warning systems as we do today. Lot of houses were built at low elevation, not far from the sea level. That caused a big piles of woods everywhere. Difficulty to get through anywhere. They don't have much of heavy machinery around to use. No organization to give a big hand, such as Red Cross, FEMA, etc.

Other worst hurricanes around the world - Hurricane Mitch in 1998 - 11,000 to 18,000 died around and in Honduras, and Great Hurricane of 1780 - around 22,000 people died around Lesser Antilles, east part of Caribbean Sea.

4. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

A while back I was reading that historians and scientists have found that there was another really huge hurricane which hit the east coast of the US back in the late 1600s, I believe it was. Of course, back then they didn't have the buildings and population that we do now (didn't have the warnings which we have and disregard either) but it was still apparently a real "beaut"! A couple of years ago I took a course "Introduction to Emergency Services Management" at a local university. It really opened my eyes to how badly prepared we are in this nation for disasters, etc. We also tend to build in areas at risk for disasters in ways that are very unwise and not suitable for those areas. Everyone who reads this thread ought to write to your Congressional Representatives and Senators and your state Representatives and Senators and DEMAND that our nation start better preparing for disasters. IMHO, of course.

5. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

when the topic of disaster comes up I am often reminded of this picture
    [​IMG]
    taken what will be 10 years ago this coming April it shows the shell of a building that burned to the ground, ENTIRELY surrounded by water but there was no way to put it out. My hometown was wiped out, only 3 single family homes (in a community of 7000 people) did not get flooded out. On the other side of the river our sister community of nearly 60000 suffered a similar fate.

and just as in Katrina, we were entirely unprepared. the community was attempting to build sandbag dikes, but first we had to plow SNOW banks out of the way. we had dbeen told the river could never reach that level.

We as a civilization with our advanced technology and "control" seem to forget, we can't control nature. We can't tame tigers and we can't keep rivers from flooding... IMHO, we are an arrogant species which will be the cause of its own demise