Just how safe is rimming?

Discussion in 'Sexual Foreplay and Techniques' started by Charmeleon, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Charmeleon

Charmeleon New Member

Okay, so I've always been more of a giver than a receiver, and my girlfriend is totally down for that. I do quite love the way she tastes, so I go down on her as much as I can. Now, her lovely asshole is only a few a licks away, and trust me, with an ass as amazing as hers I'd be a damn fool not to eat it out :phat I know for a fact that she has nothing contagious; she was a virgin before me and she had her checkup recently, she's good. But we typically get to fuck every afternoon, whereas she usually showers in the morning, sometime the night before. I don't care if she's squeaky clean or not, it can taste kind of odd at first, but I've grown to love the taste. What I am wondering is if I can get any sort of non-STD infection doing this when she hasn't showered right before. Also, how high is the risk of her getting some sort vaginal infection when I switch back to her pussy after engaging in this activity?

2. Texas_Red

Gold Member

There are numerous bacteria types from the intestinal tract that can wreak havoc on your SO's vagina. So for that, yes, there is definitely risk. The same bacteria can get you sick as well, and depending on the state of any food eaten recently, could get you hepatitis.

Your best bet is to make sure both of you are really clean before engaging in this, and understand that she can still get a UTI from that anyway, though the chances are low.

3. lbushwalker

Gold Member

There is another long thread on this subject a while back and my take on it as a practising medical scientist in microbiology isn't necessarily what you want to read.
    Apart from the aesthetics would you willingly eat shit knowing it is made up 50% by weight with bacteria and viruses.
    STDs are the least of your worries in this instance; instead think Hepatitis viruses, Enteric bacteria such as Salmonella and Shigella and then there are lots of yeasts and parasites floating around.
    It just ain't safe mainly for your health as the giver but then you would also happily contaminate her apparently clean pussy.
    Frankly if you could see what I often do growing on diagnostic media plate from vaginal swabs taken from women whose partner has gone from one orifice to the other without cleaning you would never even consider this idea!

4. Charmeleon

Charmeleon New Member

Alright, thanks for that. But I should point out that she shits before she showers, not after. Nor do I ever do deep penetration, it's just licking, really. I'll make sure that we're clean as possible from now on. That being said, you two didn't quite give me the answer I was looking for. I'm well aware of the various bacteria and viruses down there, along with the diseases, most notably Hepatitis. But on the all the other threads about rimming, people state that it's relatively safe after a shower. What I want to know is how long it takes for it to become unsafe. I mean, it just seems unlikely to me that her ass is just as dangerous seven hours after a shower as it is fresh of the toilet, but what do I know, right? I guess what I'm really asking is how risky is this exactly? Numbers would be appreciated.

5. Texas_Red

Gold Member

That's tough to number really. Reality is everyone leaks a little over the course of the day. The anus is not a perfect seal. Different people will get dirty again over different amounts of time. Best course is to always clean up a bit before any anal licking.

6. Charmeleon

Charmeleon New Member

If I had the option, I'd have us shower before sex. But we're practically kids still (don't worry, we're legal), I only get to see her a few hours a day, we don't exactly have time to shower, we rarely even have enough time for either of us to orgasm (I don't do quickies. I need my foreplay). For future reference, when we do have time, I'll make a point to shower, as well as other ways to clean her. But I'd like to know how dangerous (in general) is this. As in, is some sort of infection or disease possible, likely, or inevitable?

7. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Just use google and search analingus hepatitis. That's what I did. From what I've read if it's just you two and you don't have sex with anyone else, then STDs/STIs are not very likely at all, it's just food poisoning and hepatitis and such you have to worry about, as well as the transfer of bacteria from her anus to her vagina.

As for cleaning on the go, look into wet wipes and such. You can use those to clean up and then use a little water and a paper towel to remove the trace soap and such.

8. Charmeleon

Charmeleon New Member

Alright, I'll get right on those wet wipes :)
    But I can't exactly wet wipe my mouth... If I want to switch from the anus to the vagina, would a shot of some hard liquor or a spray of my pocket mouthwash eliminate, or at least sufficiently reduce the associated risks?

9. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Well, I s'pose it would. Definitely something alcohol based, but then you don't want alcohol in her vagina either. Certain bacteria just love that stuff. I'd say use wet wipes to clean up a bit, do your thing, maybe a real small sip of alcohol swished around the mouth followed by a decent mouthful of water again swished around would be sufficient. I doubt you're going to be able to get rid of everything, but that would seem to me good enough to reduce risks significantly enough to not worry too much.

10. Charmeleon

Charmeleon New Member

Alright, just one last question... Is there any thing I can take to further reduce these risks? I mean anything from certain foods, to OTC medicine, to Amazonian Ayahuasca-fueled rituals. As you can see, I'm not about to stop rimming my girlfriend, and I'll simply accept the risks if I have to. But I would like to make it as safe as possible.

11. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Not that I can think of.

12. Mittimer

Gold Member

For the record, 7 hours after taking a shower your asshole has time to sweat. That sweat has time to sit there and boil. 7 hours is enough time for a hole pile of things to get all sorts of disgusting again.

Furthermore, if you're sitting here asking about ways to reduce the risk? Food? Breath spray? You're worried. As a doctor, ask a sexual health clinic. Don't listen to peoples *opinions* on what may or may not work.

Nobody can give you numbers as to how safe or unsafe it is to tongue your girlfriends asshole.

The only way to reduce the risk of possible infection or contamination is to just not do it.

13. Charmeleon

Charmeleon New Member

Pah! I suppose ignorance is bliss after all. But thanks, you've all been a help. All I can really think to do is try not to contaminate her vagina. Most of what you guys have told me I already knew, I was really mostly looking for how dangerous this is exactly. As for myself, I can wait till we live together and have time to do a thorough scrub down, but in the meantime I'm going to go ahead with this anyway. I spent the better part of high school as a smoker and a druggie, I'm not exactly great at thinking about long-term health effects.

14. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Yeah, Mittimer basically just said what I was trying to say, but she said it much more directly. There is no exact to it. It's a risk, and that's all there is to it. Only you and your SO can weigh the worth of the risk. Always better safe than sorry, I s'pose.

15. Charmeleon

Charmeleon New Member

I feel like I should be disgusted and regretful right now, but the only thing that might deter me from doing this again is the risk of infecting her.

16. Mittimer

Gold Member

There isn't anything to feel disgusted or regretful for.

It's just like any other aspect of sex, you need to always be safe.
    When you start to partake in sexual acts that are a bit more taboo, the smart thing to do is always always look into it first. Look at the risks involved in anything you're going to do.

Sometimes I feel like tonguing someones asshole is far more "edge play" then anything we do in the BDSM community. But everything comes with risks.

Safe Sex 101
    If you aren't willing to take the necessary precautions to cut down on those risks, then you shouldn't be partaking in that particular activity. It's as simple as that. If you still partake in those activities, then well, be prepared to deal with the potential consequences.

17. Charmeleon

Charmeleon New Member

I'm relatively prepared for that, I mean, you only live once. Also, I got my Hepatitis shot when I was 13 or 14, does that protect me at all, or is that for a different type? I'm pretty sure it was for Hep-B.

18. Mittimer

Gold Member

It's a totally different type. Hep-A is what you get from things contaminated by feces.

While Hep-A isn't as serious as B, it's still nasty.

19. Charmeleon

Charmeleon New Member

Is there anything fatal I can get from all this?

20. Charmeleon

Charmeleon New Member

True say, thanks for that. If only I had gotten some sort of shot for that :p