It's cold in Alaska

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Astyn, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Astyn

Astyn New Member

Hello I'm Astyn, I am an Officer in the Air Force and a Nurse. I currently am stationed in Alaska where I soon will be able to play baseball at 4AM again. I got back from deployment to South Korea a month ago and have been happily working ER night shifts since.

I had a very erm...interesting shift tonight that started off with a male teenage dependent and a carrot, and then ended with a very drunk man and several police officers. But after that I decided to register:)

2. dolphinfan

dolphinfan New Member

hey! welcome to SF im also new but have been having a ton of fun meeting some pretty cool people.

3. Astyn

Astyn New Member

thank you:) now I'm excited, cool people are cool.

4. ChristaLa

ChristaLa New Member

I'm curious, a male teenager and a carrot, a drunk guy and several police officers, what happened?

5. Astyn

Astyn New Member

well I was doing check ins and a teenager walks up to the counter and asks to be seen so when I ask him what for he asks if he has to tell me, which is yes. He asks if he can have a paper and a pen and I give those to him and he writes "carrot" on the paper so I ask him what about a carrot? and he writes down "anus" and then I understood why he didn't want to tell me.
    After that there was a military wife who came in with two friends and the she seemed generally pissed off at us and after she was in the exam room the other nurse asked her what kind of sick she was since that was all her friend would tell us, while she contined to give us death glares her friend said she had stuck a vibrator in her rectum and I asked what the problem was and she yelled that it was still there and on. She had to have minor surgery to get it out.
    Then right before my shift ended they brought in a drunk airman who couldn't make it through the gate so the normal thing we do is start a IV and wait for it to wear off a little before he goes to trouble land. He figured out he was in trouble and ripped out his IV and bolted off the stretcher and got through the doors to outside (That wasn't fun because we had to chase him outside in thin little scrubs in -5 degree weather) and we figured out he was going for the barrier which has a pretty nice 10 foot drop off so we're yelling at him to stop and not to jump but he does anyway so we finally get there and look over and he's still running somehow toward the next barrier which has a 18' drop so we're screaming at him not to jump and that there's a drop but he does and then we see him running down the road and a cop car beats him to the exit. Sometimes cops have the best timing ever.
    this was much longer then I wanted it to be but that was my shift, weekend nights in the ER are like that quite a bit.

6. ChristaLa

ChristaLa New Member

I'm sure that was the most awkward thing for the teenage boy

7. HardRocker

Gold Member

Welcome to SF, Astyn.

8. Mittimer

Gold Member

Welcome to :sf

9. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

So does this mean that some of those in your armed forces may be just a little.....anal-retentive?:lol
    As other nurses here have already told us at times.....life's never dull in the ER......:D

Welcome to SF Astyn.....:welcome

10. Astyn

Astyn New Member

Well if their trying to get out of a deployment I've seen nastier things stuck up there like as a monkey wrench that the guy said he was using to get the sun tan lotion bottle out. They all still get deployed though:)

11. fothermucker

fothermucker New Member

I would think it would have had to have been just as awkward for the wife with the vibrator stuck up there, especially considering it was still on. I spent 5 years in the Marine Corps, so I know the rash of shit her husband will be getting over that one.

At any rate, :welcome to :sf!!

12. Astyn

Astyn New Member

I think it would be for her too, since her hubby was at work and her two friends were over at the time and the whole base has got to know by now. Soooo yeah she's not going to live that down and neither is he. Wives have a habbit of doing the weirdest shit here

13. Dragon_Fire

Gold Member

Welcome, Astyn.