It has finally happened.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Everett_Spair, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Everett_Spair

Everett_Spair Member

Something really bad happened yesterday. The swedish parlament has voted to implement a mass surveillance system on all it's citizens. Every phone call, every SMS, every mail, everything you send to communicate to another will be stored and used to implicate you in wrongdoings. This is so insane I can hardly believe it but it is the truth. I guess I have to research all kinds of encrypted communications now so they won't be able to see what I've said or done now. I hate Sweden. I hate the inane politicians, and I would gladly kill them all for destroying everything.

2. somhairle

somhairle Well-Known Member

What? How can they do that? It is a breach of civil rights. Sweden used to be pretty liberal too, so when did it change?

3. jonbhalluk

jonbhalluk New Member

guy's i have been in the security services for many years all sms all call's all emails are all scanned as sent looking for key words don't be shocked but this has been like this for many years

4. Mittimer

Gold Member

There's always America, Eve :) However, we're headed to hell in a hand basket so it's not something much better to come to. :(

5. Everett_Spair

Everett_Spair Member

its worse because they will store all the surveillance data for a long time so they will have loads and loads of blackmail on everyone. And Mitt, I know the US isnt much better. I should move to Switzerland or something.

6. jonbhalluk

jonbhalluk New Member

Guy's it doesn't matter where you live it has been this way for many years. all call's email's sms,activity on your pc are all recorded and have always been.so don't think different countries do things different as they do not, all i have to say on this now.

7. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Okay, checking with various news outlets, while this sucks, it appears it was a 2004 EU directive that Sweden has been bucking due to privacy concerns for some time, but they finally folded due to threat of fines. It also seems to be a lot less invasive than you say, though that hardly makes it not invasive (or okay) at all.

For reference: Falkvinge.net article and a Yahoo article. The Yahoo one comments that the contents of messages will not be stored, only the dates, times, locations and from/to whom will be stored.

Frankly, sounds pretty useless to me. Doesn't sound like you'll need to encrypt anything either, though encrypting anything remotely sensitive is always a good idea.

8. backcheck64

Gold Member

It's been that way in the US for years. They track your movements by cell phone and "On Star". So if you're going to commit a crime, turn off your cell phone, don't drive a car with On Star, and...well "security cameras are everywhere else...ah screw it...don't do anything wrong. We have no more rights or privacey.

9. Everett_Spair

Everett_Spair Member

It doesnt matter that it's just "how it is". All tracking of innocent people is wrong and should be illegal.
    And about those fines from the EU to sweden. those fines are a LOT less than what it will cost to log all the data.
    So sweden could have just said "fuck you" to the directive and paid the fines and that would have cost much much less.
    Hell since the EU keeps putting out these horrific directives we should just leave the EU alltogether since the membership brings nothing but cost and pain.

I should also say that other EU members have rejected the directive on the basis that it's violating the rights of individuals so I can't see any reason that sweden couldn't just do the same.

And yes, I mad. :)

10. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Oh I agree with you completely. I was just posting a bit of factual info to clarify what is and what isn't. Doesn't make it any easier to swallow, nor does it justify any of it, IMO.

11. CosmicEye

Gold Member

You are now being watched.

Yeah its true tho but like someone said its only searched for key words like maybe 'bomb, terrorist, Ala, heroin, sex with this cute 9 year old boy, illegal, killing people,..etc' My bros gf's son got in trouble for threatening the school on bookface with a bomb. He was like 12 at the time but the house got raided by the ATF. True story.

12. Everett_Spair

Everett_Spair Member

I'm already using encrypted proxies when I'm online so they can log what they want, only thing they'll see is that I'm sending some random/encrypted data to some arbitrary servers. And if they backtrace my post they'll end up at similar servers.
    And no, those servers doesn't log the traffic that pass through.

13. Kermit

Gold Member

I thought that would be illegal in the US or at least inadmissible due to 4th Amendment Violations

14. HardRocker

Gold Member

As far as I know, you can legally access the Internet from the US via proxy servers.

As for video, I routinely assume I'm being watched everywhere I go.

15. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Problem is, unless that proxy is also your ISP or you VPN or use an encrypted tunnel to that proxy, all traffic between said proxy and you is still unencrypted. Your ISP will still have records of stuff.