is zimmerman this century's oj simpson? Discuss

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by redics_girl, Jul 14, 2013.

1. redics_girl

redics_girl Active Member

Be nice! i know this could potentially be a heated topic, so dont do anything to get yourself banned please.

2. Meow

Meow Member

Who is Zimmerman?

3. redics_girl

"The jury had the option to consider manslaughter but declined to convict him of the lesser charge." (abc news).
    My question is why they didnt consider a lesser charge? and paula- don't be snarky, please. its unattractive.

4. Meow

Meow Member

Ah I just read about it. (Sorry, I'm not from the US)
    I am baffled by a lot of verdicts handed out by the courts (world wide).

5. teamster145

Gold Member

This coming from another CCW holder, I would hope if I shot someone who was pounding my head into the concrete they would not send me to prison. Not real sure what happened before as I was not there or in the courtroom to hear all of the facts. The facts are all that matters and public opinion should not determine guilt, ever.

6. redics_girl

agreed. its the unarmed thing that gets me though.

7. boobjob

Verified Gold Member

RG- I hate to play the "you don't know what it was like card but I will. You ate too young to know just how much of a cultural earthquake OJ was. This isn't even close.

8. Essene

Gold Member

A friend of mine told me "this is retribution for OJ Simpson." I simply laughed.

9. CaramelLady

As the mother of a young black teen I cringe when I see these stories. Your child goes to the store for candy and pop and a few days later you have to bury them.

I have had to teach my son survival skills for him to walk to the store.

10. lbushwalker

Gold Member

US law is baffling to other nationalities.
    Seems like there are different levels depending on status.
    Plea bargaining also seems unfair and a perversion of the law.
    Many still look up to the USA but I am not one of those as consider your system flawed.
    That said there are others far worse but that matters little to anyone disadvantaged.
    Enough said.

11. Essene

Gold Member

Of course our criminal justice system is flawed. But if you think that, that sector errs often... you should research our civil law system.

I suppose it beats the methods of yore. I don't think I'd fancy having my tongue seared in an attempt to mock a judicial process or being forced under water until I either confess or die. Plea bargaining is a distortion of what justice should be; but so is an acquittal or a defendant being declared innocent (or being a lesser sentence being ruled) due to inadmissible/intangible/tampered-with/etc evidence.

What struck me as add, even though I didn't pay too much attention to this case after Casey Anthony was found to be innocent, was that there were women who were mothers in the jury. I would have expected them to have been more emotionally moved than logically (if that's what it was) moved.

At the end of the day, he can't be retried in a criminal court; but, like OJ, he may have to appear in civil court.

12. teamster145

Gold Member

He was not shot in the back and I would not take the time to ask if he was armed before I shot either. It is always easier to judge after it is over.

13. boobjob

Verified Gold Member

I haven't heard from the jury yet. Sometimes a verdict is more about insufficient proof than it is about guilt or innocence.

14. backcheck64

Gold Member

IF someone just walked up to you and assaulted you, fire away, this asshole got out of his vehicle and persued Martin. I personally hope someone puts a bullet in his head. If he'd simply stayed in his vehicle like instructed, none of this would have happened.

15. lbushwalker

Gold Member

BC64 there are those rare moments that we actually agree on issues.

16. boobjob

Verified Gold Member

BC makes a great point.

17. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Except he wasn't instructed to do that, and this only punctuates my view on this that there are far too many people that think they know enough to draw a conclusion of guilt/innocence when in fact they do not. Here is a link of a breakdown of the myth around the whole "car and being told not to follow" nonsense. If you follow the link to the Washington Post article within, it talks about 5 common myths with the case (the above included), and they aren't all helpful to Zimmerman.

Then you have this which really turns my stomach. The guy did just fine as an employee, even got a raise, but then he essentially blew the whistle on FL prosecution, and the story changes, he's a bad and untrustworthy employee and they fire him. He uncovered that the prosecution failed to hand over info to the defense, and put a lid on evidence he pulled off of Martin's phone. Of course what they describe doesn't sound terribly damning, though it does cast a shadow on that "sweet young man" as the pictures would like everyone to believe.

To me, it seems the whole thing was mishandled, the media did a great job of sensationalize the hell out of it, and people got really polarized and came to conclusions without really knowing all of the facts. In the meantime, things at the Federal level like Bradley Manning and Ed Snowden which matter a whole lot more since it affects the entire country? Quietly being swept under the rug, and of course the US propaganda machine is doing its job, and the populace are seeing Snowden and Manning as the enemy.

18. backcheck64

Gold Member

It's on the 911 tapes, he WAS instructed to stay in his vehicle....AND let the police engage the perceived threat, it was played umpteen times on every news station. So they manufactured the tape? Was "Skittles" actually code for a gun and stolen TV? Martin wasn't doing anything but walking, Zimmerman had no reason to engage.

#18 backcheck64, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  19. Texas_Red

Gold Member

I'm sorry, can you read? The things I linked to aren't the daily fucking inquirer. No, he was not instructed. Seriously. Take a moment and read. You don't know what you think you know. You "know" what the sensationalizing media led you to "know." One of those links is a lawyer dissecting that specific myth, the other reports on other myths which show falsehoods about what was reported for both sides.

20. backcheck64

Gold Member

I've HEARD the tapes repeatedly. He was told to stay in his vehicle, police were in route.