Is there a computer tech in the house?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by surreal_thoughts, Jul 12, 2012.

1. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

I have a question and wondering if any members might be tech savvy and help me out here. I use VLC player to watch movies, TV shows, etc on my PC. Lately it seems like my computer is always freezing and locking me out to the point that I have no control with my mouse or keyboard making me have to do a hard manual restart.

Anyone else use VLC player and have a similar problem and happen to find a fix? I found some articles on google, but they are a bit to extensive for me...I don't mess with Windows bio's and boot files and what not. I primarily use my PC for my digital art, selling it, and promoting it and just to relax and watch a flick or show...not a serious PC geek here.

Any help/feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks! :)

2. AGFUNK

Gold Member

Does your computer only do that when you're using vlc?

3. Mittimer

Gold Member

That sounds less like a VLC issue and more like a malware issue. I use VLC all the time and have never had that issue.

What do you use for virus protection?

4. OverSinged

Gold Member

Giving it a good cleaning may also help. Your computer might start getting cranky if half the data's fragmented

5. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Fragmentation shouldn't cause the system to hang up. It could be malware, could also be a heat issue. Make sure you're using the latest VLC if you haven't already updated it. Check the inside of the case and make sure it's not too dusty, especially the CPU heatsink. Make sure all your drivers and windows updates are current. Thorough scan with your current AV and then running MalwareBytes and perhaps also a Trend Micro Housecall wouldn't bee too bad an idea.

6. OverSinged

Gold Member

I'm not familiar with VLC, but the amount of people who I've met who don't even know they need to clean their computer often has... jaded me into telling people to do it, since history says it probably needs to be done anyway.

7. BigTitLover

Gold Member

How old is the system? Does it only act up when vlc is used?

If its only during vlc could be video related. If there is an add on video card it could be failing or the drivers could be messed up. there is memory on a video card and it can and does fail over time. Or if could be over heating. They need to be cleaned now and then.

If the whole pc is slow it could be malware, or slow death of the hard drive. Run malwarebytes, and a program called defraggler.

Or combo of all above with overheating issues.

If you have never cleaned the inside, shut the system down, take the side panel off, and vacuum the dust bunnies out. With can air you can blow out cooling fins. Just be sure that you hold the fan blades still so they don't spin. The suction from the vacuum can over spin the fans and blow the barrings in them.

8. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

Thanks for the input and feedback everyone! I found out that the last 3 updates for VLC are 50/50 for most users. I read a lot of tech forums and blogs that this is pretty common. I simply uninstalled mined and downloaded an older version from a year ago, version 1.9.1 and it works like a charm...my PC has been running all day while I was away at work, and I'm watching a movie right now as well as using Adobe Illustrator and my tablet working on some art work :)

9. Mittimer

Gold Member

That still doesn't answer about virus protection :p

10. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Viruses are rarely the cause of slowdown, it's usually malware and the design of windows itself. Windows has something called the registry, which every program installed puts thing that it uses in. It's sort of like a giant configuration file. The problem lies in the fact that when programs are uninstalled, they often don't clean up all of their registry entries, so orphans start showing up. Malware does this too, and they never clean anything up. This causes the registry to get really big and fragment, so searching for anything in it becomes really slow. Get a registry cleaner, there are several out there. The malware removers do not remove registry errors caused by the malware, it only removes the malware itself.

11. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

Prior to finding the fix, I ran my anti virus program...it came back clean, ran CCleaner, Spybot, Malwarebytes, and my firewall's scanner and everything came back clean other than the normal site cookies. So no issues with virus. It was an issue with the latest VLC update. Like I said I'm running an older version and my PC has not froze or locked up for over 24 hours now and I've even been remoting into from work and its back to normal now :)

12. Texas_Red

Gold Member

50/50? that bad eh? The recent updates to 2.0 and up have been great for me. Only real issue with VLC I've had is with DVD playback, it seems to not be able to do it consistently, the video slows for a second every 2 or 3, and it stays this way. No matter if it's a DVD ISO or a DVD disc. All other video plays back fine. The new rendering options help a lot too.

13. igor

Gold Member

Sounds like you are doing the right thing. I run those also both at home and at work and never had a problem. I also have backup drives that I can "clone" should I have something really bad and need to start over.

14. Everett_Spair

Everett_Spair Member

I always use VLC for everything and have never had any issues (except a small issue with dual monitor playback some versions back).
    However I am still sitting on an old version, 1.1.11 to be exact.
    I can't say how reliable newer versions are.

However if the computer is slowing up or even freezing now and again I would guess it's due to lots of processes running at the same time. Perhaps you're running so many programs that you're out of free RAM memory which will cause significant slowdown and occasional freezing.

It's however impossible to diagnose without actually going through the computer in question and looking at what's going on.

15. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

Any version 2.0 and higher has had it's fair share of issues. As with RAM...I got 10GB worth of it so I think I'm covered ;) But yes I agree the older versions of VLC are MUCH more stable than the last few updates. Since going back to 1.9.1 I have had NO issues using VLC player to watch all my video files and it does not bog down or lock up my PC :)

16. Maxx0

Maxx0 New Member

Aw, as a rep for the largest pc manufacturer in the world, I was hoping for a hardware issue.

17. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

:lol I might not be a true computer techy but I know my way around PC's and fixing/tweaking them for the most part :)

18. Maxx0

Maxx0 New Member

I'm currently switching majors from compsci to English, so that I can write tech manuals. ^_^

19. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

You could always lie :p You know, even if there are boatloads of registry errors, more RAM will make it run faster. Upgrade to 12 or 16 GB of RAM anyway if you can get the parts of cheap :p

20. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

My expansion ports are filled to the max, so 10 GB of RAM is my boxes max.