is the blues dying?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 12barblues, Feb 14, 2012.

1. 12barblues

Gold Member

Is the blues fading away? will there be any interest in it ever again? does it need a new champion? and ......does anyone care but me?

2. CosmicEye

Gold Member

For me being a younger guy, I dont miss it. lol sorry I think it was probly great for the time period.

Seriously you should check out "The Uppity Blues Women" or "Sapphire Girls". Same group. But, I saw them in a small local theater and it was very entertaining. They do some stand upin between songs and it was pretty funny. Not only that but they did have some great songs. I think it was their last show though. I would see them again if I could.

3. cbrmale

Gold Member

Blues is probably fading because there are only so many variations... I don't listen to much modern music other than contemporary European, mostly French. I was recently at a swingers party and they did play contemporary music and it grated on me: more spoken than sung and generally non-melodic.

One of the best of my recent purchases is Un Couer Comme le Mien (A heart like mine) by Axelle Red. More soul but stripped-down iand very good. Le Claque translates to 'The Snap'.

Axelle Red - La Claque - YouTube

4. 12barblues

Gold Member

i guess i just looove the old chicago blues stuff...muddy waters, howlin' wolf....and even on back to son house and robert johnson... it all had a certain "unrefined' and emotional quality to it. It was never cleaned up and pretty. But there's nothing like sitting out on your porch, and watching the rain fall, and listening to Muddy Waters, with a cigar in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other.....
    When i was younger, and listening to led zeppelin, hendrix, janis joplin,cream and the rolling stones i never knew that i was a blues fan...ironic because all those bands were blues bands that played rock and roll..it was nice when guys like clapton and stevie ray vaughn fueled a bit of a revival for a while in the 80s and 90s. But lately there is no one that's commercially viable promoting the blues. john mayer has shown his blues roots but there's no real champion of the blues at the moment in commercial music. Joe Bonnamassa is an amazing blues guitarist and vocalist...but has anyone heard of him? there's just no avenue to exposure for him as a bluesman...

5. 12barblues

Gold Member

i would have to say i missed it too....but i also missed bach, yet that music moves me....so i would say dig some of it up. start with joe bonnamassa and work your way back to stevie ray vaughn, then jimi hendrix and on down to muddy waters. I was in my 30s when a friend turned me on to muddy waters and buddy guy...i had never heard of em..but ive been hooked ever since...if you enjoyed uppity blues women, then you have an ear for the music and you should youtube some of it. you may be a bigger fan than you think lol..

6. somhairle

somhairle Well-Known Member

Are you guys kidding? The blues is not dying. It is evolving. Think of Bonammassa, Lister, Whittington, Mayer. Think of Clapton. Think of BB King still around. We've lost some greats lately - Hubert Sumlin only a couple of months back. But every time someone like Clapton, Page, Beck, Richards picks up guitar, you hear the blues. Everytime you listen to a bent note. You hear the blues. Almost every time you listen to a piece of rock built around the pentatonic, you hear a piece of blues.

The blues will never die. It just evolves. And music can't ever be without it.

Hit on a pet subject...............:ugh

7. Wildwoman59

Wildwoman59 New Member

I hope it's not fading away...The Blues were such an integral part to the development of the different musical genres. My all-time favorites: Billie Holiday, BB King, Etta James, Muddy Waters and Stevie Ray Vaughn. I do enjoy Joe Bonamassa and have also just started listening to Janiva Magness and Susan Tedeschi.

8. CosmicEye

Gold Member

I just find it hard to get into the slow, single instrument, sometimes depressing, banjo sounding blues or whatever. Maybe Im thinking of Bluegrass (close enough). I will admit, and I recently found this out, that I like the Bach and Beethoven type orchestra. I know that I like instrumentals so I see the connection, but I especially love metal ones. There are some powerful metal instrumentals out there that really move me when Im in any type of mood. They actually really help me when drawing for art and makes me work faster. Id rather get into something alittle faster and melodic with hard drums and soft guitar.

9. 12barblues

Gold Member

Metallica has an insturmental on the master of puppets album that i love...

10. 12barblues

Gold Member

susan tedeschi with derek trucks...some AMAZING stuff right there...

11. 12barblues

Gold Member

yeah, i knew you and i were on the same page, after we spoke about gary moore...

12. RideNaked2

Gold Member

Around where we are located there are still live blues bands out there playing. My cousin plays in one...there just needs to be more venues that have live bands :ugh:p

13. somhairle

somhairle Well-Known Member

Sorry, CosmicEye but you have the wrong perception of the blues.

Do you like Hendrix? If so, you like the blues.
    Do you like Clapton? If so, you like the blues.
    Do you like Page/Zeppelin? If so, you like the blues.

Blues started with the Delta and Chicago movement and progressed to what we have today. Even bands like Metallica may tune down their instruments and thrash out some power chords but as soon as they add in that Blue note. You know they are linked to the blues.

Blues is not about a single style. It is about progression. Some of us find it difficult to find a pure rock sound because it is so linked to the blues.

If you find it hard to appreciate the blues, listen again to Hendrix. In him you find so many blues influences - including Albert King who influenced so many. Listen to Clapton (especially the self titled album from a couple of years back - pure blues).........he has so many influences now and in his own right he has his own blues style. Cream - Crossroads? Robert Johnson wrote it in the 40s I think about his trip to the Crossroads where he met the devil. Any of Cream's stuff which then influenced a genre all based on the blues.

And then..........Stevie Ray Vaughan (lump in the throat........) Dead in the 90s but what a player. Influenced and progressed through the blues greats including Hendrix.

And as 12bar says..............Gary Moore. Perceived as a rock guitarist but one of the blues greats.

The stuff is out there. Look for it and listen to it and enjoy.

Oh, and up to date? Joe Bonammassa - treat yourself to the Ballad of Joe Henry. (guitar tuned so low..........it makes your gut vibrate!)

Acoustic blues is simply no longer as prolific as it once was because the electric guitar can project more in an auditorium and has provided a versatility that cannot be equalled.

The blues.............it is no more dead than Beethoven, Bach, Tarrega, Sor, etc.

BTW..........that's not meant to be a rant. Just a bit passionate about the blues.

Oh and if you play guitar. Check out John Wheatcroft - Improvising Blues Guitar. A music book for guitar that takes you through blues from the Delta to the current day giving examples of the different styles and how they have eveolved to present day.

BTW......don't have any Susan Tedeschi stuff but off now to find it following your recommendations, peeps. Thank you.

#13 somhairle, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  14. backcheck64

Gold Member

Stevie Ray is the only one I could stand. I equate the blues with country minus the steel guitar and a little less whining. I have enough problems, I don't want to listen to someone elses. I prefer the hard and heavy guitar riffs with driving drums. Never cared for Clapton, Hendrix, or Zepplin, though they were what was popular when I was growing up. I listen to Saliva, Evanescense, Hed pe, Five Finger Death Punch, Rage Against the Machine, Rise Against, Theory of a Dead Man, etc. Just can't get into the blues...unless it's the St Louis Blues..HOCKEY.

15. HardRocker

Gold Member

Blues will never fade away because it's soul music. Like 12barblues, I never knew what I was listening to in the '70s, until I came upon Rick Derringer, and my new best friend was a Johnny Winter fan. Then I found Savoy Brown with Kim Simmonds, John Mayall, etc. And I was finally enlightened. I live in a town that loves the blues, so no shortage of it here. One of my local favorites is Elliot and the Untouchables. They are all over YouTube, but the recordings are all crappy.

I've put lots of Blues songs in my sig in the past.

:cool:dance:cool

16. 12barblues

Gold Member

nothing like a little Rage, or pantera to get ur motor runnin'....... great music to work out to.....i'm kinda fond of a band called Helmet also...

17. 12barblues

Gold Member

yeah, agreed...but people have to go out and enjoy the music and "times is hard" right now....i know that i dont go out much lately, for that reason...i sure miss it tho..

18. mikeh

mikeh New Member

I'm an old soul boy so have a slight affinity to the blues. I don't think they're dying, just evolving like all music does.

19. backcheck64

Gold Member

About the only time I listen to music is when I'm workng out or getting ready to play hockey so blues doesn't really fit the bill. Got notihng against it...just not my thing...like country music..OK, scratch that, I hate country music with a passion.

20. CosmicEye

Gold Member

Somharle, I was kind of waiting for that kind of response to clarify what I thought blues was lol, but thats cool I was sort of asking for that. As far as Hendrix, I guess I sort of do like him but I never liked any others you mentioned, besides Metallica. Like I said I just find it hard to get into it, but thats just me :)