Is name calling a form of bullying?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sandwich, Nov 4, 2012.

1. sandwich

Gold Member

This is just me making a point. Carry on.

(I did, by the way, refer to a guy who had followed me in real life as a slimy asshole, and I wish I had chosen different words. I guess it's my opinion that everyone has value, and that disagreements need not end up in name calling. We can state our negative opinions about someone's words or behavior without name calling. So if you say something I don't like, and I call you an idiot, well then it's really me being the idiot.)

#1 sandwich, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  2. OverSinged

Gold Member

Depends on what the 'name' is. Calling someone who's stalking you a slimy asshole is probably just as true as it is offensive.

Honestly? I'm in the 'grow thicker skin' side of the debate, but I know I'm a callous bastard, so my opinion isn't worth much.

3. Slipikins

Slipikins New Member

I tend to disagree but maybe I'm a bully? What you view as name calling I'd consider my opinion and more of a description of witnessed behavior. If you see someone acting like an idiot and you believe this to be a true representation of their character then why is it wrong for you to voice your opinion when they are acting in such a manner? The said idiot has the right to agree or disagree with your evaluation. Either way it doesn't make it any more or any less true...its just your opinion. To me bullying is trying to purposely hurt someone without provocation because you have internal issues that you're unable to deal with emotionally. Calling someone out on their shit doesn't fall into this category in my opinion.

I come from a large Irish Italian family though...so "name calling" just means you care. :)

4. mrcock

Gold Member

bullying is when you attack, when you defend you defend

:lol

5. Dragon_Fire

Gold Member

This is correct from my experience. Bullying is a matter of intent. Just calling someone an asshole because they deserved it is not bullying.

6. Essene

Gold Member

Almost anything, if done in a certain manner, can be bullying.
    Whether it is or not lies in if it was intentional and if it was to evoke lowered self-esteem/to exploit weakness.

7. suzy7

Gold Member

Wow, if that is all you called the "Slimy Asshole", he is lucky.
    If he was stalking you, "shoot and drag" in front door.:)

I really do read some guys comments on here as old ideas about women,
    hey, this is 2012,soon 2013, every day, every week, every year,
    that goes by, you guys are getting a little less needed, take that as what
    you think it means xx.
    Ha, as the Spice Girls said "Girl Power".:D

8. Anonymouse

Anonymouse New Member

Anything that makes a person feel uncomfortable and out of place is bullying. So if a certain name is used, and the person feels uncomfortable or hurt, its bullying. So really, it depends on the person.