Is it wierd for young people to like old music?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Maddox, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Maddox

Maddox New Member

I don't think its a very common thing for people younger than 20 to like older music.

Most of my friends think its wierd for me to like all these songs, they're into all that new rap and "rock." My brother says "Deeayyum, dat song is so old it aint hot no more" about a song he used to like when it was new a few months prior to seeing it on TV.

Does it make me weird if I like Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Queen, The Beach Boys or Run DMC? I think that 95% of good music came from before 1990 (but a lot of the 80s rock sucked in my opinion).

And I also think Blood Sugar Sex Magic is the greatest album from the 90s, and one of my favorites of all time. "Play that Funky Music Whiteboy" is probably one of my favorite songs of all time. "Rappers delight"? Great tune. "Bohemian Rhapsody"? Wonderful.

Does anyone else here appreciate music from an older generation than you're from?

2. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

There's just something unsatisfying about modern music isn't there? Of course there are a few exceptions, but I'd say that most of the songs I have on my MP3 player are older than ten years old. One of my favorite artists is David Bowie and I think his older stuff from the early 70s is much better than his newer stuff.

3. Jayce

Gold Member

Punch your brother. Good music never dies. I listen to very few bands that are still together and making music. There's a few here and there, such as Pearl Jam, and since Candlebox got back together last year that's another band to add to the "active" list, however I listen to a LOT of older stuff too.

Geez, I was just at the shopping center, windows dropped, radio CRANKED, blaring Piano Man by Billy Joel!

Remember: Good music NEVER dies.

4. dazed-confused

dazed-confused New Member

Heck no -- I love old music and new. Some of the best music ever made is stuff from the 70's, 80's, etc. Anything is better than the new 'gangsta' rap.

5. HardRocker

Gold Member

My kid is 22 years old, and since he was in high school his favorites have been Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Savoy Brown, Blue Oyster Cult, and so on. He also likes alternative rock from the 90s till now, like System of a Down, The Beastie Boys, Cowboy Mouth, yada yada yada... Most of which I like too. He also wants to make sure you know Nickleback sucks.

6. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

I'm 21 and i'm a huge fan of like 50's sock hop and stuff... everyone has different prefferences

7. Jayce

Gold Member

Gotta admit, there's a few Nickelback songs that I kinda like...

My brother showed me something interesting though. It's a thing from youtube where they play two Nickelback songs at the exact same time. The drumming is identical between the two songs. Completely... identical... pure talent there! Ehh?! :lol

8. Mr Johnson

Mr Johnson New Member

I'm 21, and I LOVE 60's motown music, the late 50's rocknroll, I also hate disco and most (if not all) 80's metal music, and love 90's alt rock and grunge. I'm a HUGE fan of straight edge hardcore, metal, metalcore, deathmetal, and grindcore music as well. But recently I just got a copy of Dr Dre's 1992 album "The Chronic", which I really like also, and I'm not a big fan of the new hip-hop movement (how many ways can you drink 40's, get crunk and ride on 22's?) Some of my friends like alot of older music, so its not uncommon really.

You're brother is dumb, but, the new pop culture movement just moves too quickly, a song is out for 2 months and then its over. Good songs should have staying power. In 10 years, will anyone still say "Whaaaaaaat?! OKAY!!!"?

9. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

yes...i think they will say 'what?? OK!!' but it will kind of be one of those random things out of nowhere where everyone looks at the person who said it...pause for a couple seconds...then bust up laughing

10. Mr Johnson

Mr Johnson New Member

Kinda like when I say "Never gonna give you up! Never gonna let you down!

11. bighiker2003

bighiker2003 Banned

I'm no spring chicken
    but my music interest pre date me by far
    50s rock, Pop, country and so on. I don't have any
    one thing just old stuff because people tended to
    sing back in those days not yell and they didn't
    drown out their lyrics with loud music.
    The way to tell what people listen to is visit
    the thread "What are you listening to right now"
    But at the moment all I hear is the air conditioner running.

Hiker

12. Dreama

Gold Member

No, it isn't weird. I like really old music.

13. cbrmale

Gold Member

I am old enough to like old rock, because it was new when I was your age. Years past, music had harmony and melody and keys and chords, which isn't often the case today. Most of the music I buy these days is European, mostly French because I understand the lyrics, but I also have some Italian. European music is more like the way music used to be in Anglo countries, and has a small but growing following in Anglo countries too.

14. Maddox

Maddox New Member

It will be like the new "Rick Roll" in the future...."You just got Crunked!"

15. Jayce

Gold Member

I think I remember reading a statistic somewhere...

"92% of kids switched to rap. I'm one of the 8% that stuck to rock and DAMN proud of it!"

:cool

16. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

That's 'old' music? :eek :eek :eek

I must REALLY be old then. I listen to musics from the 20's and 40's....

17. cook74

Gold Member

My partner loves new music and sometimes she tries to introduce me to it even though she knows I'm stuck in a time warp, or maybe because of it.

Sometimes the new stuff is Ok.

One thing she said to me that stuck though is "All that old shit you listen to was new at one stage and there was a bunch of grandpas sitting around saying that they don't like any of this new, so called music."

She could be onto something there...:shrug

18. ~Twilight

~Twilight New Member

Hey, most of the new musicians could learn a thing or two from the greats of the past and no mistake!

19. Bella

Gold Member

Hell No! Good Music NEVER DIES!!! :rockon
    That's why there are so many imitators! :ugh

~Bella

20. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

Thorn & I tend to cross over into every genre imaginable. And we find musicians/songs that we love from todays modern (alt-metal ? ) and then we'll switch up to classic rock... to southern rock... It's important to keep an open mind about new AND old music, as they all speak of the era in which they live.

Of course, given time, the good ones all end up on the 'classic rock stations'.

Talk about a group that's been around a while, but I personally do not think they are that talented? - I would have to say Red Hot Chili Peppers. (Don't start throwing things at me - this is an open forum!! :yell) But so many of their songs all have the same beat, the same lyrical sound. I haven't tried it, but I could probably play several of their songs at the same time, and they'd sound exactly alike :ugh

oh...btw... I really like Nickelback :)