Is climate changing?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by whybother, Nov 10, 2017.

1. whybother

Gold Member

Speaking of the social climate regarding sexual harassment?

Lots of news lately about lots of bad behavior by well known people.

Do you think we are making progress?

sensless likes this.
  2. whybother

Gold Member

Personally, I think that people tend to compartmentalize news like this. They look at harassment as only a Hollywood problem or a journalism problem and not as a more general workplace problem.

CLE32793 and sensless like this.
  3. DayPlay3

Gold Member

I applaud the courage it takes for the victims to step forward.

4. Rhaenys

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    Hopefully. The whole Weinstein story broke a while ago and it's still a very relevant topic with new reports coming out almost daily from various fields (not just in show business). So it's not being treated as one of those "let's be outraged for two weeks, then forget it happened" cases. It should help change things as long as these celebrities aren't given the chance to rebuild their careers, people keep coming forward with their experiences, and they keep naming names when they do. People that knew it was happening and did nothing should also be facing the same consequences. None of this stuff has ever been a secret. They just didn't want to come forward to confirm that it's true until now (because they had to). It will also help for people that don't work in show business. If these beloved celebrities are being permanently torn down, it will be hard for anyone else to be able to keep getting away with it.

It needs to start becoming a bigger deal when elected officials are called out though.

5. LilBAM

Gold Member

I'd like to think it is, as more allegations come out against more celebrities, and as long as people are encouraged to bring their stories to light. Just recently, I can think of them coming out against...

Harvey Weinstein
    Louis C.K.(who admitted the stories were true earlier today)
    Sepp Blatter(former FIFA president)
    Kevin Spacey
    Roy Moore
    Steven Seagal
    Charlie Sheen
    Larry Nassar

...and I'm sure there's several more I'm missing. We live in a culture where celebrities are treated as idols, and we worship them as if they can do no wrong. This is just proof that people(especially men towards women) will do a lot of fucked up shit when they believe they can get away with it and not suffer any consequences. That's why it's so important to explicitly name them.

CLE32793 and grey_duck like this.
  6. zena69

Gold Member

YES! sexual climate is changing very rapidly.

7. sensless

sensless Well-Known Member

I'll think we're making progress when jokes are at least 50-50.

Nowadays, every joke is on women. This is the stuff children hear and an inoffensive looking way to mine women's confidence and to make boys grow up thinking that all female things are good for a laugh, not deserving of respect.

I've said it before, but I'll repeat myself. Joking and humor is fine, but it stops being funny when the laugh is always on the same group of people.

Ridiculing women is so common place, nobody gives it a thought.

Every woman feels like being part of a minority, even though in most countries we make up more than half of the population and almost half of the work force, in spite of the "burden" of bearing children. I mean "burden" as in something that's energy and time consuming, not as in implying it's a bad thing.

It's accepted that we earn less money even when doing the same job. And it is accepted that money is the only measure for accomplishment.

Now, everybody loves having a laugh calling women hormonal. But, really, when will we begin to hear jokes about hormonal men? Take a look at the track record of testosterone. It makes poor estrogen shame.

8. DayPlay3

Gold Member

In my house it has changed from chance of F5 Tornado, to a cold front, to an eerie calm in a matter of days.
    :confused::eek:;)

whybother and xtacy4 like this.