Interesting results from the election

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ninja08hippie, Nov 7, 2012.

1. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Besides the benefit for health care, minorities, economy... coming from a liberal president, something interesting came out of Colorado.

Colorado legalized the recreational use of marijuana. I did not expect it for another four years, but I think it will catalyst the other liberal states. Usually after one state votes to something that has been on the tipping point, lots of other states tend to follow in the election or two afterwards. It happened with medicinal use, and the majority of the country believes that it should be legal. Thoughts on this?

2. Essene

Gold Member

Meh. If it's legal it's legal.

3. Texas_Red

Gold Member

I'm surprised that it seems to be getting struck down by OR. Don't know about WA yet. Good on CO though. It really should be legal all the way around.

4. Maverick

Maverick Member

Washington was actually first before Colorado. So, best state in the country? Washington, all day, baby!!! Plus marriage equality, and blue state every day. :)

5. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

I don't think it should be legal. Next thing you know, people who use harder drugs will push for legalization of their drug of choice and make noise about it. If anything...this just sets back all the D.A.R.E. efforts and programs invested in school/community systems as well as all the anti-drug ads, posters, etc posted all over schools, as well as all the school lessons taught to kids about anti drug use and the dangers of using drugs.

From personal life experiences, I've lost friends from DUI accidents as both victims and irresponsible driver, to even knowing a kid back in high school, who hit a kid on his way to school baked out of his mind. Food for thought.

6. boobjob

Verified Gold Member

Wow I dont think about it much. I havent toked in almost 25 years. maybe I should try it again. :)

7. CaliMike

CaliMike Member

We should ban alcohol then so kids don't make poor choices... Oh wait.

8. footlover77

footlover77 Member

Alcohol,and cigarettes kill but their legal.Pot has no deaths on it's record,yet it's illegal.It's all about the money.

9. wetness1

Gold Member

I've seen people after long use of the drug, there just not all there In the head anymore, can't be good for the brain .

10. footlover77

footlover77 Member

:eek:eek:eekTurn on your tv,you'll see commercial after commercial of prescribed drugs having all these side effects.You get the munchies as a side effect from pot.Oh God,what will we do?An appetite,ahh!

11. BitchN

BitchN New Member

Here is my two cents.....for what it's worth....
    People that smoke it are going to smoke it wether it's legal or illegal. The good that could come from legalizing it is......we could grow it here, turn it into businesses, hire employees to harvest and pack it.....tax the shit out of it like alcohol and cigs, that in turn will help our country get out of some debt...

12. Texas_Red

Gold Member

D.A.R.E., the War on Drugs, etc. were all failures to begin with. Marijuana is not nearly as bad as prescription drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes, and there are tons of studies to back this up.

I'm also for legalizing all the other currently "illicit" drugs. Not because I think they're good mind you. I want to allow a self purge of sorts. Legalize the drugs. Allow all the idiots who can't control themselves or lack the intelligence to understand how destructive the rest of the drugs are to binge away and kill themselves off. What will be left are people who are a little smarter that understand and respect the risks involved in fucking around with narcotics of that caliber. The market for said drugs will dry up, at least in the US, since the main demand will be dead. I'm betting the amount of petty crime after that binge will go way down. Prison populations would go way down. The biggest downside? We'd have to create a temporary agency to start cleaning up all the overdosed dead. But hey, that would create jobs.

And it hurts the drug cartels by taking money out of their pockets by eliminating the black market for that item in those areas. Being realistic, it will hurt the black markets of surrounding states as well.

#12 Texas_Red, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  13. BitchN

BitchN New Member

^.....It will help with the cartel crime we have to deal with also. I know we would still have the crime from the "harder drugs" but at least that would be one less illegal drug that people are getting killed over..

14. clamUp

clamUp Active Member

I'm a bit of a believer in the conspiracy that wood pulp-based paper production companies, which were owned by huge media companies and used to supply paper for newsprint, were the sole reason hemp, using marijuana as leverage, was outlawed in the first place.

So is it really a coincidence that marijuana is starting to be legalized at the same time that print-based newspaper companies are in their death throes?

15. clamUp

clamUp Active Member

Another aspect to the belief that marijuana leads to hard drugs is that, when you're already risking getting caught buying weed, what's to keep someone from buying a little something more from that same seller?

If people can get easy access to marijuana, they'll be less likely to come across a shifty peddler selling harder stuff.

16. footlover77

footlover77 Member

Well said Bitchin,and Clam up.

17. BitchN

BitchN New Member

Also if its legalized it opens doors for all kinds of stuff being made out of hemp.
    Clothes, ropes, bracelets, necklaces......the list can just go on and on.....and again it would create new jobs and therefore more taxes being paid into the government.
    I guess you all can tell I really really don't like the debt we are in......:mad

18. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Sadly, this is the exact response I expected from the government. Basically "fuck states rights, we own you and we'll continue to bust people for what we think we know to be correct." If nothing else I wish people would realize that we've given way too much power over to the government, which is exactly what the founding fathers were trying to avoid. This election seems to have been a good push, many of the really fucking out there people in power have been brought down and replaced with more moderate people, but there is still a huge power structure to be brought down. The government is supposed to be nothing more than a loose fabric that helps keep the states unified. Not a ruler of the states and people like it is now.

19. LilBAM

Gold Member

Exactly what I was thinking. States rights and national rights seem all back-ass-ward. States can make amendments that are irrelevant, because national rights overrule it, while we still can't get everything sorted out properly to vote in a national election(which is why Florida isn't being called until today)? Plus, states rights enable states to put out some insanely confusing(and/or glitched, in PA's case) ballots. It's such a mess. There's still a lot that needs to get done in this country, but I wonder just how much can get done.

Side note, I'm for the legalization of weed, even if I'm never going to partake in it.

20. CaliMike

CaliMike Member

Actually, the drug cartels are not the only thing that must be considered. There are also currently fiscal incentives to keep people imprisoned for nonviolent crimes. Get rid of private prisons and privately funded political campaigns, and I would say about 80% of the issue will be taken care of.

#20 CaliMike, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012