Interesting origin of pet relationships

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ninja08hippie, Mar 23, 2012.

1. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

I was curious about what the first pets were (it was horses) but the answer about dogs and cats made me finally understand how when living with a dog its like you're a team, but when living with a cat they are pretty indifferent.

Dogs and humans were both the top of the food chain, the dogs were attracted to the waste from human settlements. They became domesticated out of a mutual beneficial relationship. They spent many generations as two species living together as hunting equals before being master/pet once that became no longer necessary so evolution made the matchup better.

Cats on the other hand were wild animals who were attracted to mice which bred in the hay beds of domestic sheep. Humans fed them because they were cute and kept the rodent population down in the barns. That's why they are more wild seeming.

Thought it was interesting enough to share :)

I then started to wonder if an alien worlds, would advanced aliens have pets that were once former fellow predators, or adopted like the cat, or both?

#1 ninja08hippie, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  2. Texas_Red

Gold Member

Not all cats are indifferent. My cats love me, and come when called. They love to sit on my chest and be petted and they purr up a storm. Sable likes to rub faces with me and stuff, which is something cats generally only do with each other.

Just sayin'. :)

3. RideNaked2

Gold Member

T and I have 4 cats...they each have very different personalities. Two of our cats are very vocal, one not so much and the 4th is blind and only talks when he feels threatened. They are all "therapy" for me as they all surround me on the bed when I'm having a bad day. We also have a black lab, she also joins the 4 cats when I'm having a bad day. I love my pets (except for all the hair).

4. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

I should share mine too then:

I live with one 7 year old beagle Cerberus.

My mom has 2 cats and 2 dogs and I visit her every few weeks.

5. Dragon_Fire

Gold Member

I'm down to one cat at the moment but I used to have 6. They all had completely different personalities. Both my black cats would fetch a small ball like a dog but the male would only do this if the female wasn't around. As soon as she joined in he would get grumpy like she ruined his fun. My black cats weren't related even though they shared some common traits. I did own the female's brother and he was the stereotypical standoffish cat who only came in when he wanted a feed.

6. backcheck64

Gold Member

We have two cats, and if I sit down, one is on me almost all of the time. The other is partial to my son. I have a rabbit that will sit on my lap forever too.

7. CosmicEye

Gold Member

[​IMG]

I love my cat. Thats a good question. I think dogs became domesticated because humans must have realized the power of their noses and hunting skills, and being able to communicate with the owner. Cats on the other hand Im unsure of. I know they were sacred gods or something in Egypt, but maybe after that people just thought of them as pretty and exotic smaller versions of the big cats such as cougars, lions, and jags, etc.

This makes me wonder where goldfish come in :lol

8. biker061

Gold Member

i have alos read that cats were possibly the first domestic (sharing life with man) animal/pet. the theory goes that cats natural ability to catck/kill ros=dents was recognized and they were encoraged to stay near graineries and homes in the ancient area of mesopotamia.

9. Trond

Gold Member

Just thought I should add that dogs are actually domesticated wolves. Dogs and wolves are still easy to interbreed (and many dogs still like to howl like wolves).

This is probably right. Genetic studies have shown that domesticated cats are descended from the North African wildcat, so people who think the ancient Egyptians had something to do with it may be right.

By the way, I think the Norwegian forest cat is doing well in shows nowadays. It used to be just this typical long haired cat that would always hang around farms in rural Norway, but now it's become a big thing among cat lovers. It's cute though. :)

10. mikeh

mikeh New Member

The difference between cats and dogs. Collapse at home alone, the dog will lay beside you loyally. The cat will lick it's lips and eat you.

11. biker061

Gold Member

yep but i can relate better to an honest predator than a suck up! and here's a pic of two of our 'herd' of four

Attached Files:

12. Dragon_Fire

Gold Member

You have good taste in pussies, Biker. :p