In view of the coming elections...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AnonymousOne, Sep 14, 2006.

1. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

I think this is appropriate and a bit funny.
    [​IMG]

2. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

That's a HOOT! Ha, ha! I have heard of Republicans and Democrats referred to as "Rebooblicans" and "Dumbocrats"! I'm a former "Dumbocrat" turned "Rebooblican" myself! Ha, ha! ;>

3. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

I'm a former Republican that saw the light and is now a free market libertarian.

4. Bluesy

Gold Member

I like Demoncrats and Refublicans myself. (The terminology, that is, not Refublicans).

That was merely a reflection of the true light...the Democrats are calling to you, A1. Come, join us. We are sexier and have more sex than the other parties; surely our presidential history has proven that.

5. Jayce

Gold Member

Fill me in here. What's a libertarian? Maybe I am one and don't know it...

When you compare democrat vs republican, I believe in the republican view a bit more. But that has absolutely zero impact on the person I vote for. It depends on the actual person, and that alone.

6. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Libertarians believe in minimal government, completely free markets, no income tax, no social welfare, legalization of most drugs, and generally the rule is:

If it doesn't fuck with someone elses property rights, you can do it.

7. HerHubby

Gold Member

I think that Libertarians are bisexuals who believe in free sex and a free market economy, but you'd have to check with A1 about that! :p

8. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Sorry babe, I hate welfare, social security, Medicare, medicaid, income tax, government economy controls, and most of what the Dems stand for.

If it makes you feel any better Bluesy, I hate the Republicans too.

9. HerHubby

Gold Member

Well, darn it, at least we Republicans know how to get semen stains out of velvet dresses before they become Grand Jury exhibits!!! Ha, ha! ;>

10. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

And Libertarians know how to work an economy. :p

11. Jayce

Gold Member

Legalizes most drugs? That's kind of uh, how do I say this... pretty fucking stupid.

12. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Why is it stupid?

13. Jayce

Gold Member

Think about it. Think long and hard.

14. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

No I want to hear your logic. I know my own logic Jayce. :lol Just tell me why you think I'm so crazy.

15. Jayce

Gold Member

I like the entire idea of libertarian. I can't say that I completely agree with it, because I think bad things happen to good people, and the government provides tools such as welfare to help folks through those tough times. Granted, a shitload of people abuse it, but there's a few good people out there who just need a hand to get back on their feet.

As far as legalizing drugs, seriously, what's so hard to understand about that? Logic has nothing to do with it. As far as I'm concerned, it's strictly common sense.

16. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

The govenment has no business running a charity.

Why not legalize drugs? People aren't going to say "well now that they are legal I think I'll go get some heroin."

17. Jayce

Gold Member

I understand what you're saying, but I simply cannot see how that could apply to the real world. I think more people would "try it" and "oopsie, now I'm hooked" than you think.

Bottom line - politics are bullshit. THAT, is a fact.

18. Bluesy

Gold Member

I've worked in the social services field and, believe me, welfare is extremely hard to get, it is not enough for people to live on (unless they're living in a cardboard box), and people can only collect for a very brief period of time if they're able-bodied. When they said "welfare reform", they weren't joking around. Desperate doesn't even begin to describe the pathetic souls who are forced to apply for it.

But anywho...

A1, I used to be a Libertarian, so there's hope for you yet ;) Seriously speaking, I think everyone is entitled to their political ideology and should vote their conscience. The problem is that too many people lap up party propaganda and, therefore, hold disturbingly erroneous beliefs about certain things. But, every party has their merits, and it's impossible to demonize any one of them as a whole. That being said, Dems are no. 1 and everyone else sucks :p ;)

19. Jayce

Gold Member

I think I read somewhere on average, Superman gets 11 votes for President every election term.

20. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

See that's where we differ, I believe that government funded social welfare is unjust. I don't mind private charity... but I hate that uncle sam puts a gun to my head to support welfare. I hate it. Do good people fall on hard times? Yes, and that is where risk management and charity come into play... not the government.

if you truly used to be a libertarian then you should know that we're right. Incentives are all I need to know to predict behavior.