In Memory of......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rose, May 29, 2006.

1. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

This MEMORIAL DAY - Remembering our family & friends

I want to lovingly remember my Dad.

He worked hard all his life, providing for his family. He taught us many great “life’s lessons”. Whatever we wanted out of life, if we worked hard and stayed focused, we could achieve.

He spent the last 10 years of his life blind, and then most of those years, he also was on daily dialysis. Though he was blind, during his final weeks of life, there were several occasions when he would ‘see’ Someone sitting on his bed, or standing by his side. This was very comforting to him, as well as us.

I miss you, Dad, and think about you often.[​IMG]

2. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

ok so this post was yesterday but I wasn't on... I'd like to add a couple Memoriums... both of my grandfathers served in the military. I never knew my mom's dad, he couldn't handle life back in the US after his war and was gone before mom graduated highschool. Dad's dad I will also consider a memorium because although he remains alive he no longer tells anyone of his time in the navy, I'm not sure he remembers anymore.

I'd also like to Honor my aunt and my man's father for their service, neither of them would accept a 'thank you' yesterday, but so many people in our nation deserved it. Our newspaper called Memorial Day a day to honor the dead. I find it more fitting to honor the living who still have time to understand that we appreciate their sacrifices

3. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

I guess I will take yesterday as a day to remember my cat who died last year. I don't have anyone that died in the service or died recently. I don't keep in touch with most of my family.

#3 Ryan, May 30, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  4. Krof

Krof New Member

People who died too soon: Jimi Hendrix, Bon Scott, Dimebag Darryl, Janis Joplin, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Randy Rhoads, Tommy Bolin, John Belushi & Lenny Bruce.

5. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

My grandfather, who used to make me banana pancakes for breakfast and would laugh until he cried at funny moments in movies, died on August 6th last year.

He was an officer in the United States Airforce and a test pilot for F-100 fighter. He retired at the rank of Captain the same year the Airforce retired the F-100. He earned a BS in Economics from UCLA and then a Law degree from USC. Over the next forty years he became an attorney, an assistant district attorney, a municipal court judge, and a Superior Court judge in Los Angeles, CA. He retired from the bench in 1989 after suffering a heart attack, but he continued to work as a substitute judge all over the state of California up until he died. He had a private pilot's license and kept a twin engine Grummond Tiger airplane at Van Nuys Airport.

On July 3rd of last year, he suffered a second heart attack, but this time he never recovered from it. He had a living will, and one month after the day of the heart attack he was put on a morphine drip and went into a drug-induced coma until his heart eventually stopped.

August 6, 2005, the fiftieth anniversary of the Allied bombing of Hiroshima, was also the day the Honorable Gilbert C. Alston, the day that Captain Alston, died. He is missed by me and all who knew him.

I love you, Grandpa.

6. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

I'm late ... oh well.

In memory of my grandfather who flew Kingfishers for the navy in WWII. Time to soar now pops...

7. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

It's never too late to honor our brave military loved ones, both dead and alive. ;)

8. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

The holiday has a little extra meaning to me because my late wife died Memorial Day weekend 10 years ago. She was the perfect wife, friend and lover, and I'll always miss her. She was a gifted poet, and while her death was sudden and unexpected (brain hemorage), I found this poem on her computer the day after her death -- the first time I'd seen it.

To Comfort You

Love, linger not at this, the home
    In which you've laid me down to rest.
    Don't weep or scuff the fresh new soil
    That presses lightly on my breast.

The heart that danced in time with yours
    No longer strains or clings to life.
    The pain that tore us both apart
    No more can harm your faithful wife.

Come, touch the stone that speaks my name;
    Don't curse the fates that put me here.
    The day has passed for fault and blame;
    It was my time to leave you, dear.

But, though this grave, now hoe-blade new,
    Will, in good time, be overgrown,
    My spirit's warmth will follow you,
    And see that you are not alone.

One day, I know you'll join me here,
    And take my hand in yours once more.
    Together, we'll go toward the Light
    And knock, as one, on Heaven's door.

Now, tuck your sorrow far from sight
    And kiss the children tenderly.
    I'll slumber, dreamless, in the night,
    Until, at last, you come for me.

9. Thorn

Gold Member

Beautiful, Joe. I have no other words after reading this post. ..... Beautiful!

10. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Joe, that honestly made me weep. I am totally overcome.