In memory of bb king

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Candela, May 15, 2015.

1. Candela

Verified Gold Member

luvbug, Dog_E_Ryder, CLE32793 and 3 others like this.
  2. Doitagain

Verified Gold Member

I love the blues. B.B. King was amazing. Sucks that he is gone but what an amazing life and career. Toured at 87 years old!

Lucille is my favorite from him. Any body who hasn't heard it should give it a listen.

CLE32793 and Zippy69 like this.
  3. Candela

Verified Gold Member

Im sorry,I didnt mean to double post a thread,Maybe Rob will delete this for me,So Sorry Dog_E_Ryder

CLE32793 likes this.
  4. Cappy_Dick

Gold Member

A sad day indeed. As a bluesman myself, I cannot class B.B. as "the only great blues singer", as there have been many over the history of this genre. However, he indeed was one of the most influential and will be sadly missed.

I find myself agree-ing with Doitagain about the track "Lucille". One that younger fans may have never heard, due to it's age and 10+ minute length. In 1968, songs this long never saw any airplay. During the sessions which became King's 15th studio album, King was encouraged to elaborate in song, about his guitar named "Lucille", which would become the title track of his album released in December, 1968.. The performance was said to be impromptu and captured without King being aware at the time, that the tape was rolling. The rest, as they say is history. This was one of my first real blues albums, after discovering the genre from the likes of Cream, Led Zeppelin, etc, etc. This record was a big influence on this skinny white kid picking up a guitar.

Rest in peace my friend and say hello to Johnny Lee for me.

BBandJohnny.jpg
    xx

5. 12barblues

Gold Member

Took the words right outta my mouth... And as for there being two threads about BB King.....he deserves them all. My heroes are almost all gone now... I guess the torch goes to Buddy Guy now....

6. Dog_E_Ryder

Gold Member

no prob sexxxy just like 12 bar says, if anyone ever deserved 2 threads BB did. Very friendly man, I shook his hand and spoke to him at a club in Owensboro about 20 years ago. The thrill was there talking to this legend. Godspeed BB.

Candela and 12barblues like this.
  7. luvbug

Gold Member

Rip BB :(

8. Northside

Gold Member

Favorite song from B.B.? That's impossible. I can't think of one I didn't love. I did especially like the way he covered T Bone Walker's Stormy Monday Blues. A lot of guys covered that one but B.B.'s tone was so special. It's hard to think he won't be around anymore. We just have to remember, he'd want us to remember that wonderful smile, and the joy he brought to us. I'm so glad he lived 89 years doing what he loved. There's a new front man in God's Blues Band in Heaven, and he's "Playin" with His Friends."

9. 12barblues

Gold Member

Always loved this song.. And the lyrics... Classic blues.. Lol

Dog_E_Ryder likes this.
  10. FeelingHornay

FeelingHornay New Member

knew him by name, but never really got in touch with his music.
    of course I knew about The Thrill Is Gone as one of his most notable creations.

I listen to blues. I just don't listen to all the blues that's out there. it's too much blues out there and if you haven't started listening to it from the very start it's just hard to discover a hundred of greats at the same time. I'll probably find my way to appreciate his music when I'll get my chance to connect to him. sincerily said.
    apart of that, music is definitely missing him and artists like him.

on a note, my reaction when he passed is that a few weeks before him Ben E. King just died.
    two greats going by the same name just passed not too long of each other. that made me sad.