I'm saddened by the breakdown of the constitution :(

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ninja08hippie, Jun 1, 2012.

1. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

Used to be that the president wasn't able to declare war without congress. Bush secretly authorized a war against Iran that Obama continued. Only in the past few days have Wikileaks, Anonymous, and other world wide security expects linked the Stuxnet virus to the US and Israeli militaries. Because there are no bombs or guns, the president thinks the massive attack isn't an act of war.

For those of you who haven't followed it, Stuxnet is a devastating virus that has been crippling systems all over the world recently. After security experts from various governments and organizations analyzed it, it was found that it was created the US and Israeli military under orders of Bush (found thanks to Wikileaks) and accelerated by Obama to destroy the nuclear power plants of Iran.

Not only is attacking a foreign country's power grid an act of war, it also managed to escape the confines of the power plant and is now destroying government and civilian computers all over the world.

It makes me sad to know that the "shoot first ask questions later" policy of Vietnam is still being used today :(

Thankfully the hacker ("terrorist") group Anonymous has released its own virus designed to search and destroy the Stuxnet worm.

/endrant

For those of you who aren't techies like me, don't worry, your computer is safe, while it can be carried on personal computers, it won't attack them. It only attacks industrial equipment, mostly aimed at equipment made by Siemens. I wouldn't advise flying in the near future though, as Siemens systems control many air traffic controllers.

2. OverSinged

Gold Member

It was only the last few days? I'm fairly sure my stepdad was telling me about it a week or two ago xD

But yeah, there's a reason I don't trust the gov't *shrug* snakes, all of them.

3. ninja08hippie

Gold Member

Oh, the virus is a long way in the making. Bush authorized it and it only recently made it's way into the public internet. The virus has been in the planning for years. I just meant hat in the last few days it has become very public since it leaked from Iran to the internet.

The government has been cyberattacking its enemies for a long time, hacktivists have been on the receiving end of government attacks for a long time. The hackers are just better than the current government cyber-warriors. It took them years to create the Stuxnet virus, we built a defense against it in a few days. They usually just attack the activists personally instead of entire governments though. I know many hackers who have had viruses installed on their machines by banks and the military, but they were pretty simple bots. Oddly enough, the private hackers are orders of magnitude more protected than most governments. The Syria defense network for example was a joke.

4. backcheck64

Gold Member

Obama has pretty well ended the wars in Iraq and Afganistan. He's using the viruses to avoid military action with Iran and N Korea. Would you prefer a military response to Iran? The first thing Romney is going to do is attack, he's already stated that. Is N Korea next? Romney is also against pulling out of Iraq and Afganistan. Obama couldn't simply pull all our forces at once after elected. It takes a scale down.

5. Texas_Red

Gold Member

This. The president is not a king, or a dictator. He cannot just give orders and have them followed. Bureaucracy has to be mollified, red tape spread around and cut through, etc.

6. ninja08hippie

Gold Member

I'd prefer the US stop policing the world. Terrorists organizations easily recruit so many people because they are correctly saying that the USA is trying to control the world. The more we try to control everyone, the more people are going to hate us. Now they have more fuel to use for their propaganda.

And no, I don't want us to attack Iran, it would be a disaster, but now I feel it's inevitable because we struck first.

And I know Obama couldn't simply pull out. I didn't say he didn't handle the withdrawal correctly.

#6 ninja08hippie, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012