I'm appauled...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ccjcool, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccjcool

ccjcool New Member

Ok, CL and PIB. I'm calling you out. I havnt been around much lately, but it seems that every time I do show up, I find some post where you're basically insulting someone. Or in some cases, BLATANTLY insulting someone. Take this thread for example. The OP has some serious grammar and spelling errors, yes. But you dont know jack about why it is that way.

I must say that this was one of the most distasteful comments I have seen from PIB ever. Not one thing in the op was "shorthand". They were spelling errors and some grammar issues. My father is 50 years old and is dyslexic and cant spell worth shit. Whos to say this guy doesnt have some sort of learning disability like that as well? Just because the man is 28 does not mean that he doesnt have his problems, and you shouldnt bash him because of it. He did not come onto this forum going "OMG, my gf wont fk me. how can u help me plz?" No...he actually wrote a decent sized post with info, concerns, and a genuine request for help and opinions.

You people have no right to criticise someone like that. And you, Puss...youre a mod here! You of all people should be trying to set the example.

If you havent noticed, this place is slow as hell compared to how it used to be. Maybe if you people actually tried to be nice to the new members (and the old members for that matter) this place might actually pick up again. And that goes for EVERYONE, not just CL and PIB. And Ryan, you should be laying down the law on things like this...ffs people! Look at yourselves!

2. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

I'm actually an administrator here, and you forgot the apostrophe in the word you're. Shame on you! :lol

I'm just messin' with you man.

But my goodness you're quite passionate about this, aren't you? If you had been around then you would have noticed that I rarely criticize anyone's grammar or spelling unless it's particularly bad. I happen to be an English teacher by profession so I consider it my job to help people express themselves in as clear and concise a manner as possible.

And seriously, I've written many posts that were much more distasteful than that one. I'm almost insulted at your sheer lack of imagination. :)

However, you're right. Mea culpa. There is a very real possibility that the OP is dyslexic, but I've found that most poorly-written posts in this forum the result of laziness and not a learning disability.

3. HardRocker

Gold Member

I have a dyslexic cousin who is very talented and smart, but he spelz evritheng funitkly. Hiz letrs ar rily hard to reed bcauz ther long an run together but alwaz fun.

I am not shitting or making fun of anyone, it's always a real kick to get his e-mails. He tells us of his Boyscout troop adventures, sailing club, rock climbing group, etc. He also goes noodling for catfish... something I would never ever do.

4. Barbwire

Gold Member

Last I checked, this site is for adults, so it puts me off when members come on here and write as though they are third graders. Another pet peeve of mine is when they piss and moan about childish things, then expect sympathy when what they really need is a kick in the shorts and an "Oh, grow the fuck up, why don't you?!"

Oh, btw, CC, it's spelled "appalled', dumbass. :lol

5. Mephisto

Mephisto New Member

I can feel the love on this website!

6. cbrmale

Gold Member

I thought OP has English as his second language, and the Internet is world-wide after all. Deliberate use of text shorthand annoys me as it makes the posting difficult to read, but this wasn't the case. I was not impressed by the comments made about his posting, and it's a wonder if he will ever come back for assistance to deal with his genuine concern.

I think for those who post should identify their age and their locations in the world for a number of reasons. Sexual culture varies from place to place, and we have different expectations of sex at different ages. Both pieces of information always help those who wish to give a useful response to a question asked.

7. ccjcool

ccjcool New Member

Thats, Mr. Dumbass to you.

But seriously...thats my point exactly...Adults have issues too that keep them from being able to do "simple" things like for the most part spelling correctly. LEGIT reasons. We dont know the guy's history, so rather than bash him for spelling "marred" instead of "married", give him the benefit of the doubt and dont be rude!

Things like that put forth a HORRIBLE display as to what the people on this forum are like and what to expect if they post here. It shouldnt be condoned nor encouraged.

8. ccjcool

ccjcool New Member

Its just irritating when you know what is "txt" speak vs someone who most likely has a serious learning disability that has hindered them as life goes on. And you're right...that particular quote wasnt all that bad, but i was in a bad mood last night. :p But it would seem that you got my point, for which I am glad.

As for why I have stopped comming around much...i think it can be summed up as "Same shit, different day."

9. Dreama

Gold Member

There are also spell checkers-for the people who can't/don't care to spell things correctly, and for the ones with learning disabilities as well. Just sayin'. Nobody really has an excuse.

10. Rocket Queen

Rocket Queen New Member

SF is a hard case to crack.... I've never gotten a great vibe from this place, but I have thick skin so I put that aside.

For most people they would read a few threads and decide it is not for them as they will have no hope of ever getting in with the clique.....or on the other hand they post, the regulars aren't happy with it either due to: content; grammar; age; sex; nationality etc and they make a 'nasty' post back to them and then the new member moves on.

On that note: I wouldn't say I've never make a judgement call on a person's post and have a little flip out, but I generally try not to be nasty...... as I have a lot more volume to my life and I don't need to be nasty to people on the internet to validate my own existence.

To vary from this thread completely..... SF encourages ALL members when they join to do an intro post....... how many regular members actually respond to the intro posts and try to make a newbie feel welcome........ sometimes no one responds....... Why do we even have an intro sub forum?????? is it just to generate threads/keep the post counts up???

SF is dying a very slow and painful death.... it's actually more like a train crash that I keep coming back to..... just to see if the shit is clear....

#10 Rocket Queen, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  11. ccjcool

ccjcool New Member

Actually...there is an inherent problem with spell checkers. Do they help? Yes. But they're not fool proof. Furthermore, if you use internet explorer, you must download an addon (something i'm not fond of personally) just to use the spellchecker that is part of this forum.

Firefox, fortunately has a built in spell checker, but on average 3/5 people I know, dont use it. Copy/pasting his post into firefox brings up only 4 spelling errors: Sice (Since), tryed (tried), whants (wants), and dont (don't). Marred, while not what he meant to say, will not show up because it is a real word. Spell checkers do not help with grammar either, which was the OP's main problem.

So contrary, Dreama, to what you said, yes...some people do have an excuse. Granted 9/10 of them dont, but there are those that do.

12. Dreama

Gold Member

Not really, ccjcool because anyone can put in the extra effort to try and make certain that their posts are decipherable, whether it be looking up a word on dictionary.com, or having a spellcheck. Yes, marred is a real word, and I'm not saying that I had a problem with this post in particular (at least it was readable). BUT, anyone can take their post, re-read it and try to do their best in writing it. As I said, this one wasn't one I had trouble reading, and I do agree with you in that we shouldn't admonish everyone who so much as thinks of spelling a word wrong. But, I don't see anything wrong with politely telling them that a word they spelled was wrong. So, while we might want to tone our methods down a little, I don't think we should do away with correcting people-there are some who genuinely need to be.

Thank you, also FC. <3

13. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Ouch, wishing did not respond to this thread but honestly must do so.
    Regret if annoying some strong ladies whom I really respect but in this instance reckon to agree 110% with ccjcool.
    It was not appropriate to hard nail this guy for English grammar given subject.
    Ok to have strong opinion but Thought Police no bloody way ok?
    Love you guys still.

14. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Okay, I'm pretty sure your point has been made and taken by everyone here. I will not allow this to turn into a thread that bashes certain members of the :sf.I have removed the offending posts from the thread in question, and that includes the one I made.

Thread closed.

:lock:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.