If'n you were wondering..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Barbwire, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Barbwire

Gold Member

If'n you've been wondering where I disappeared off to, I'm still here. My puter shat and now I'm stuck on my son's old laptop. I type a lot faster then the words show up on the screen it and it drives me batshit.

2. igor

Gold Member

I knew you had "puter problems. Be glad to help if I could.

3. Barbwire

Gold Member

At this point, I don't want to mess too much with the laptop, I have more important things to do. I'll just struggle along with this thing until I can get a new PC of my own..

You said you wanted to help out, right? How about a donation to the Help Barbwire Get a 'Puter Fund? ;)

4. Slipikins

Slipikins New Member

I'm gonna have puter problems till you're back online! :D

5. AtkCCC

Gold Member

BW, just figured you were enjoying the end of year holidays, or maybe the Mayans were right and we got caught on different ends! ;-)

6. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

Bummer. I had computer problems over the summer and I need my computer for my art business. I know how much it can such having to use an older machine that can't keep up with your typing speed, but its better than nothing. Wish I could also contribute to the BW puter fund but the holidays put a big hole in my wallet :(

7. almostthere

Gold Member

Shit if your were nearby i would give you one. It's only a year or two old too

8. OverSinged

Gold Member

I'm basically in that same position Barb. I'm on an old Acer laptop that's running Vista with 1gig of ram and a CPU that's got overheatin problems

I miss being able to get internet on my desktop

9. Dragon_Fire

Gold Member

Sounds like you're using my daughter's laptop except she's got 1 gig of RAM more. The thing gets so hot you could burn yourself on it.

10. Barbwire

Gold Member

Thanks for thinking of me but, I'll be okay..just need to soldier on with this POS until I can afford a new PC.

11. igor

Gold Member

Did ya read your email? I'll send you a PC.

12. Barbwire

Gold Member

Yes I did, Iggy. Sorry for not getting back to you. Hate to sound like a beggar being a chooser but, I really need to get a puter with all the fixin's for photography and printing. I want to order something to my specs when the time comes.

Hope you understand

13. Barbwire

Gold Member

Just popping in to let ya'll know I'm still limping along on my son's old laptop and that's why I haven't been posting much. I do miss this place but, I don't spend a lot of time on the computer now, which can only be a good thing.

14. backcheck64

Gold Member

Computers are cheap now, you can get an i7, 8gb of ram, and 1tb of hard drive for $699. I just had a hard drive go down on my main one, $100 and it's back up and running. I set up a second computer virtually identical to my main..just in case. My wife has hers, the kid's each have one, and we have three tablets so I'm never NOT connected, it's part of the business, I have to be connected. Unless the motherboard is shot, I'd fix the old one besides setting up a new one. Hard drives are the main cause of failures and they are dirt cheap. I also run two Seagate drives as continual backup for all of them. I've got a couple of XP Pro towers you can have, they work fine, I just prefer 7, and been playing with 8.

15. Barbwire

Gold Member

I was running Windows XP so I think I got my monies worth out of my old desktop. I want to focus more on my photography so need a much better monitor and new editing software so I want to bite the bullet and go new.

What blows is having to use this POS thing until funds are freed up for a new PC. Doesn't help that hubby spent $1,400 on a new HP laptop for our 14 year old son.

*fumes a bit*

#15 Barbwire, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  16. backcheck64

Gold Member

$1400 on a fucking HP....maybe he needs some help. Toshiba, Samsung, and Asus are pretty well the tops right now. My next one will be a Samsung. I use only laptops now, and Samsung and Toshiba use the HD LED displays, plus with the HDMI output, I can throw the pic up on my big HD LED tv, 47" is more than enough to do editing. I do all of my photography editing on laptops, mine runs CS6 with no problem and it's a i5 with 8gb of ram. You'll want an i5 or i7 processor and a minimum of 6gb of ram. Big hard drives are nice but I always back up to two to three others....I'm up to 9 external hard drives now LOL. I'm kinda liking Windows 8. Some nice upgrades from 7 but 7 is still the core of 8. Laptops have as much power as desktops anymore...though my son does like his Asus gaming tower. There's a bit of a learning curve from XP to 7 or 8, but they are sooo much better and faster than XP.

17. teamster145

Gold Member

Been running windows 8 on my work computer. Our license expires on 7 this month. Going to go with the 7 Pro OEM license. I have an i7 with 8 GB of ram but I do not like 8. Too many glitches with our software.

18. ninja08hippie

ninja08hippie Official SF Hugger
    Gold Member

If you're doing photography wouldn't a true color, retina display iMac be the best bet? I assume you'll want to be using Photoshop, Final Cut, Aperture...?

19. Barbwire

Gold Member

I ended up getting a Mac Mini. Trouble is, at the same time I got a smart phone so, the Mac is collecting dust.