I love making costumes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SWGirl, Jan 3, 2011.

1. SWGirl

SWGirl New Member

Just another tidbit about me; I love making costumes. My group of friends loves to throw costume parties, and I've gone twice with Steve to Gen-Con in Indy and once with a friend. Couple those with Halloween, and making cool costumes has kind of become a hobby of mine. I just thought maybe I'd share a few of my more recent ones that I'm proud of. I had a brother who was totally into comics and super heroes, so I ended up with an intimate knowledge of Marvel and DC. I also love pop culture movies and interesting ideas. I regularly contribute to some cosplay sights and have printed several how-to instructions about how I made some of my costumes.
    Silent Hill Nurse-

[​IMG]
    This was my costume at Gen-Con this year. The dress is just one of Steve's old dress shirts that's pulled tight and sewn in the back. I brushed the whole thing with paste and then painted it. The mask is paper machet paste plaster and gauze with some spray paint. I got a pair of white heels from GoodWill and bought a nurse's hat for $2 at a costume store. Purple and brown makeup for my body with eye-liner for the veins. I couldn't find a good enough knife to carry, so I borrowed a machete off of another guy for the picture.

Harley Quinn-
    [​IMG]

Sophomore year of college on vacation. For those of you who don't know, Harley Quinn is the female counterpart to The Joker. She's kind of insane and regularly helps him fight Batman. This one was really straight forward. I just found a red and a black unitard and started cutting and sewing. The frill cuffs are from an old Bo-Peep costume and I made the collar with some white fabric and a white strap with a clip. I used extra material from the unitards over a shower cap with actual springs in the headpiece. The white bells are from an old Christmas door wreath.

Black Cat-
    [​IMG]
    This was my first Gen-Con, and Black Cat is from Spiderman for anyone unfamiliar. This one was really easy, but kind of expensive. I had to buy a pleather catsuit and some white boots and gloves. Then I bought some white fur from Hobby Lobby and sewed it on. I used pale makeup and baby powder to lighten my skin and it worked really well. I bought the mask on Ebay and you can put it on with a little spirit gum. The white wig I got from a costume shop for about $20.

More to follow...

2. gphine

Backhanded compliment - this thing is so awful looking, it scares the crap out of me! :eek

Nice work!

3. AHappyWife

AHappyWife New Member

The pics are gone! I would have loved to see what you created. Sweet avatar! Too bad we can just sew something like that up with a needle!

4. Adventurer

Gold Member

Me too! My wife and I are costumers! We have Jedi costumes. We recently did Megacon, and then Tampa Con this past Sunday.
    Love to see your pics and chat!

5. BigTitLover

Gold Member

:tsktsk hate when old post get pulled out of the past. This one in particular really annoyed me as I enjoy prop making and cosplay. Spent a few minutes trying to figure out why the images were not showing, then noticed that the OG post was from 2011, and the user hasn't been on here since first part of 2011.

:ugh

6. Adventurer

Gold Member

Whoops! :)
    Found it by doing a search for "comics". It was towards the top of the search page. Didn't notice the date.

We should start a new thread for us costumers!