I just made homemade glögg

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Puss_in_boots, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Glögg (hot mulled wine) is one of the things I love about the holiday season here in Sweden. I've only had the store-bought variety before, so I hope this turns out okay.

This was the recipe I used:

3 cinnamon sticks
    1 teaspoon cardamom seeds
    1 small piece of ginger
    15 whole cloves
    Peel from half an orange
    1 deciliter (1/2 cup) of vodka
    1 750 ml bottle of cheap red wine
    1/2 cup of sugar
    1 tsp of vanilla or vanilla sugar

Crush the cinnamon and cardamom and place them along with the ginger, cloves, orange peel, and vodka in a glass jar. Let sit over night. The next day strain the spicy vodka (a coffee filter worked well for this) and discard spices. Mix the vodka with the wine and sugar(s) and/or vanilla in a large sauce pan. Heat until steaming hot but don't boil. If it's not sweet enough add more sugar. If it's too sweet or not strong enough, add more vodka. I found an extra half deciliter of vodka was needed (which is about a quarter cup). Serve by pouring the hot glögg over raisins and sliced almonds in little mugs (like espresso mugs). You can either drink it right away or bottle it and let it sit for a week before serving, which allows the spices and flavors to blend together even more.

[​IMG]

#1 Puss_in_boots, Oct 20, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  2. cook74

Gold Member

Sounds absolutely grand. Have you tried any yet?

You had me salivating before I got to the method part of the recipe :drool

Glad you mentioned the fact that you should not boil it. That would be a disaster :tsktsk

3. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

I poured it in an old Absolut Vodka bottle, and I'm going to let it sit for about a week until trying it. You're really supposed to wait until November until you're "allowed" to drink hot glögg, but the weather's been getting so cold lately, why not start a little early?

4. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

YUMMMMMMM! It was nice and cozy... but a little boring till you got to the VODKA and CHEAP RED WINE!! I am definitely adding this recipe to my holiday beverage table! Thanks, Puss! I will give all credits to you and your adopted country (however, I'll use your 'given' first name - not "Miss Puss" :lol )

Does the heating of the mixture cause it to be less .... potent? I've always thought that raising the temp of alcohol causes the alsohol to burn off.

5. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

It does, and I suppose that's why it's so important not to boil the mixture, not to mention why a little vodka is added. :)

6. Bluesy

Gold Member

That's the spirit! :D That drink does sound like it would warm you right down to tips of your toes :)

7. vampire raver

vampire raver New Member

Burning of all the alcohol from something takes a long time but it decrease exponentlly so after like 30 min .5 is gone of the alcohol is burnt off from the mixture and so on. You could also add all the ingredients together and almost bring to a simmer and then let it cool and store for a week and then strain if you want a more prodoment flavor of spices. But it sounds very good none the less.

8. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

No kidding, I think there's enough alcohol in that to knock some college students on their ass. Still ... *Yoinks the recipe, I have a friend with a kitchen in his apartment, we must try this 'glogg' you speak of.

9. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

You should! It's fairly easy to make, and you can tell your friends that it's part of your Swedish heritage. ;)

10. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Glögg is a traditional holiday drink here in Sweden and so there many different recipes and methods of preparing it. You can also do it the way you described it. Most recipes call for varying amounts of the traditional ingredients: vodka, wine, orange or lemon peel, sugar, and spices.

I think the strangest recipe I found called for a gallon of red wine and a fifth bottle of Jack Daniels whiskey, and it said to bring it to a boil before adding spices. :eek

11. cook74

Gold Member

Bringing alcohol to boil on a stove has its merits, you get to see a lovely, big, blue flame coming out of your pot.

At work I prepare a particular sauce by sweating off garlic, ginger and chillies in a pot and then adding 1.2Lt of white wine. Before adding any other ingredients I let this mixture come to a boil. 9 times out of 10 it will ignites of its own accord, if it doesn't I give it a helping hand :dgrin I'm not going to stand around for ages waiting for all the alcohol to boil out on its own accord.

12. Dreama

Gold Member

Well, that sounds just awesome. Thanks, Puss. I definitely want to try some!

13. bighiker2003

bighiker2003 Banned

I will definetly try that.

Hiker