I have a cold sore

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by Malkavian, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Malkavian

Malkavian New Member

Obviously I can pass on herpes with this. I've suffered with cold sores all my life, I was born with the virus.

I have a cold sore at the minute, first one in ages, I've been feeling tired lately which is what I put it down to.

I know all about the dangers of it and how to avoid giving anyone else the infection. But what I'm wondering is how easy is it to pass the infection from my mouth to my own genitals. I don't want to accidentally wipe my mouth and forget about it, then end up spanking the monkey and passing the infection via my hand. :$ Is that possible?

2. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Hmm..interesting question. I'm not so sure if the herpes that affects the mouth is the same as the one that affects the genitals. Perhaps one of our resident STD experts knows for sure, though.

3. Vanja

Vanja New Member

The mouth herpes virus (HSV1) is related to the genital herpes virus (HSV2). I have heard that HSV1 can be transmitted to the genital area.

Here's some wikipedia info.

4. Dreama

Gold Member

That's a great question. I'm really glad someone brought this up, because it's very interesting. I never really knew for sure.

5. latincop

latincop New Member

I remember leaning in school that if the infected lips touch the genitals, it can spread.

6. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

I know they warn that it can be transmitted to the eyes, so it probably can be transmitted from oral to genital as well. I'm not sure, however.

You are positive that it's cold sores and not canker sores aren't you?

7. cbrmale

Gold Member

I have hsv-1 on my genitals, so it can be transferred mouth to genitals through oral sex. The good news is that herpes simplex virus one doesn't thrive in the genital area, so outbreaks are few and far between. In most cases, the genitally-located hsv-1 is restricted to one outbreak, never to re-occur.

Similarly hsv-2 doesn't thrive on the lips, again outbreaks are few and far between.

The thing I don't know if the hsv-1 antibodies you already have prevent you from getting a second location for your herpes. Being a virus I am inclined to think they do, I think once you get hsv-1 somewhere on your body, you won't get it somewhere else. But this is only educated guesswork on my part, and you should do some more thorough Internet research to be sure.

Herpes is a major panic at the moment, but given my wife has cold sores from a non-sexual transmission I was fatalistic about it. I was going to get cold sores or genital hsv-1 sooner or later, I would feel sick for a few days and I would recover. Even so, it took twenty years.

8. yorkiesmurf

yorkiesmurf New Member

This is one example where being politically correct has gone to the extreme. A cold sore and herpes are two different infections. Yes, both are the herpes virus but they are different forms of the virus. The cold sore is herpes simplex which is spread from skin contact (e.g. kissing) and is not a sexually transmitted disease. Besides some discomfort and possible embarassment the herpes simplex virus is not dangerous. The sexually transmitted form of herpes is genital herpes caught from sex or coming in contact with bodily fluids that contain the virus. Usually during an active outbreak it is recommended that the person refrains from sex until the blisters disappear but the disease can still be spread even if the disease is not active. Provided that your cold sore is not actually the sexually transmitted disease herpes, genital herpes, there is not much worry. Probably the only precaution that you should take if you do not want to pass the virus is not to kiss someone or have your cold sore come into contact with someone else who is not protected while the cold sore is present. If you are still concerned my recommendation would be to talk to your pharmacist or family doctor about the cold sore, herpes simplex virus.

9. cbrmale

Gold Member

A cold sore is typically herpes simplex virus one (HSV-1 for short), and it is herpes. The true 'genital herpes' is a different strain, believe it or not herpes simplex virus two (HSV-2). Both are herpes. Neither are classified as sexually transmitted diseases, or at least HSV-1 and HSV-2 are not sexually transmitted diseases in my country.

It gets complicated through oral sex in that HSV-1 may be transmitted to the genitals, or HSV-2 to the lips. Thus one may have a 'cold sore' which is HSV-2, or herpes on the genitals which is HSV-1.

I agree there is a degree of PC on this where HSV-1 is regarded as being okay and HSV-2 is stigmatised. The only substantive difference is that HSV-2 outbreaks are generally more frequent and more severe. On the other hand, you may find yourself like me. My wife has HSV-1 from her youth and it looks like I've never been exposed to either virus (despite all that condom-free casual sex in my younger pre-aids days). Eventually I had a HSV-1 outbreak on my genitals, which is harmless enough given it is not likely to re-occur and I don't think I can transmit it back to my wife. Herpes is transmittable even with condoms or dental dams, so my condom-free sex days didn't really put me at any great risk in regards to either herpes or the almost-as-common HPV.

Anti-viral medications kill off an outbreak of herpes within a day or two, but are very expensive unless available through Government healthcare.

10. Bluesy

Gold Member

True, but you can't contract it through a condom or dam, only if you come into contact with an infected area of skin that's exposed. Lesions* can crop up anywhere on the outer genital area to the tops of the thighs (and around the anus), which is why female condoms (which cover a portion of the vulva as well) are better protection than a standard condom...though not nearly as comfortable. You decrease your risk of contracting Herpes by 50% with a contagious partner (in whom the virus is active) if you use a standard condom, so it's still better to use a condom than not. And let us not forget all the other naughty bugs condoms act as a barrier against, too.

Oral sex is easier because you have more control over what your tongue and lips are touching--so you're fairly well-protected if you use a dental dam/flavored condom and restrict skin contact to covered areas only. (Washing your hands afterwards, before touching yourself, is always a good idea, too, since it can be transmitted from your hands to your genitals or mouth, or eyes).

Yes, if the virus is active in your system at the time.

*Just a (suck-all-the-fun-out-of-sex, I know, sorry!) reminder, not everyone infected with Herpes gets noticeable lesions, so a person may look clean when they really aren't.

11. cbrmale

Gold Member

Bluesy,
    This is for the benefit of others. People are infectious of herpes for up to a week before any outbreaks of lesions. I was infected and recovered by the time my wife showed her cold sore.

I agree with your comment on condoms or dams reducing the risk of contracting herpes or hpv, and of course in my younger days unprotected sex was not fatal. If your partner was on the pill, we had sex on the basis that the worst that could happen was a round of antibiotics. We didn't know of herpes or hpv in those days, indeed hpv was not known about as a serious risk in this period 1979 through 1985. Although some doctors had linked hpv to cervical and penile cancer by then, the results of this research wasn't common knowledge until later.

12. melicious

melicious The Old Maid
    Gold Member

Please note that latex condoms provide more protection from HSV than non-latex condoms. I am allergic to latex, and must use polyurethane. According to testing/research, it is possible for those nasty bugs to pass through the pores in polyurethane more easily than latex. Bleh.

13. Bluesy

Gold Member

*gasp* I'd read that not long ago, too...I can't believe I forgot :ugh Thanks, sweets, for pointing that out!

Oh, that sucks big time :(