I feel violated...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ruby79, Dec 11, 2010.

1. ruby79

ruby79 New Member

So like a good girl, I went to the gym after work today. Unfortunately I was a dumbass and made the decision to leave my purse in my car instead of taking the time to put it in a locker. Well I ended up paying for it big time, because my car got broken into; literally my window got bashed in. The thugs got away with my wallet (credit cards and driver's license :mad).

What a mood killer!

Lesson learned on my part. Please everyone, be careful and not stupid like me!

2. Reflect169

Reflect169 New Member

thats sucks darling....

but welcome to the threads

3. IloveSex415

IloveSex415 New Member

Sorry to hear that. That's why I'm so paranoid. Better safe than sorry

4. nomnomnom83

nomnomnom83 New Member

that really sucks!! i hate when that happens!!

5. looking4

looking4 New Member

Sorry to hear about that...people are going crazy,,,, in this economy and here at Christmas time they tend to get desperate. I hate to say it but be careful - they now know where u live...

6. cowboyup

cowboyup Member

wow that blows.
    hey what part of cali r u from?

7. daver

daver New Member

Not that it's any consolation, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that that happens a lot in gym parking lots. I've often gone to gyms already in my gym clothes, allowing me to save time by not stopping into the locker room... but also necessitating me leaving my wallet in the glove compartment. Yeah, if I were a thief, I certainly would consider gym parking lots to be fertile ground.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way.

8. daver

daver New Member

Wow, that's sad... the whole idea that people get more desperate at Christmas and thus must resort to stealing. Seems like the ghost of Charles Dickens still haunts us in 21st Century America.

9. ruby79

ruby79 New Member

Got my window fixed today. Yeah!! At least it wasn't too bad having a missing window for a few days. Who needs windows in a car when its sunny and nearly 90 degrees?

Now, after I've been a victim, I hear of all the "that happened to my mom/sister/girlfriend." Too bad I didn't know of this before. I might have been more cautious. Oh and apparently, the warnings are all over the news, but since I don't watch I wouldn't know.

Thanks for everyone's concerns.

10. daver

daver New Member

That's human nature, isn't it? The it-can't-happen-to-me...until-it-does-happen-to-me syndrome. None of us are immune to it, least of all me.

11. nyxx

nyxx New Member

yeah, it would be great if people told you the 'it happened to...' stories before you become part of their stories eh? glad you're looking on the bright side of the window though :)

12. SteveWaste

SteveWaste New Member

Okay. I'm going to start informational, then do what we call a sympathy sandwich where I say something comforting, then insert something constructively critical, then end with something comforting. Here we go.

Did you call the police and report it? You'd be surprised how many people neglect calling the police. When we know about a rash of robberies or vandalism in a neighborhood, we really will patrol that neighborhood more thoroughly and more often; which makes us more likely to catch the guys, and makes them less likely to try it when there might be cops around. We caught 2 of these guys at a local mall on Black Friday right after the stores opened because we got incoming reports durring the days leading up.

I'm sorry that this happened to you. It shouldn't really ever happen to anyone. That's YOUR property and no one has the right to take it or break it.

That being said, you HAVE heard the stories about these people. You don't even have to watch the news. I know because EVERYONE has heard them; you just see them SO OFTEN that no one pays the proper amount of attention to them. It's not just in the news, its on television, on the radio, in music, in movies, in videogames, on commercials, and in the newspaper. People write books about them and use them in motivational speaches. Home defense in America is a multi-billion dollar industry. If you turned on the television and on the screen was an episode of Law & Order, and it showed a woman on the street being robbed and knife point, would you even spare it a glance before you saw what else was on? Yet you KNOW somewhere deep down that that wouldn't be believable television if that wasn't something that really happened to people. Yet if someone pulled out a knife and robbed you, would you be surprised that it could happen to you? Why? When you so easily believe it's ability to happen when you see it on television? The, "It won't ever happen to me" mentality is dangerous, and gets more people hurt and harmed than just about anything else.

I'll end my rant here and say again that I really am sorry for you. No one deserves to be a victim and certainly no one asks for it. And for reference, if you ever leave anything in your car, you should leave it in the locked glove compartment. Most cars give you 2 keys; one master key and one valet key. The valey key doesn't open the glove box, the master key does. That certainly won't stop someone from breaking the window, but it will help them to see that there's not anything inside the car that they can immediately steal, so they move on to the next one with an iPod or a purse or a cell phone out and ready to be stolen. They don't call it a "smash and grab" for nothing.

~Steve