I don't have hiv do i?

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by Sexual Person, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Sexual Person

Sexual Person Member

I haven't had sex for over a year and I'm still really obsessed and paranoid about it. A day after I had, had sex they checked my urine at the E.R. I also had blood work. That very night I had something that felt like a UTI where you feel like you have to urine, but then when you go to the bathroom you can't go. I've read so many things about how symptoms sometimes don't even occur until after a decade at times. That's what really freaked me out, but wouldn't they had already detected something in my blood or urine that night if I had HIV or any other type or STD's if I really had one? Or does the urine or blood work test really determine weather or not I could have it? What kind of test do they usually do to determine it? I really wanna make sure I'm clean and not affect anyone else.

2. fbbg

Gold Member

If you are worried about it go get yourself checked asap. No point worrying unnecessarily about it. We can't do anything for it over the internet if you have it or not, the only person that can is the doctor so if you are worried go see one. :)

3. sensless

Gold Member

Do a blood test. Some bugs only show on a test months after contamination. No guessing work when it's about your health: go have your blood tested. If I recall well, hiv virus won't be detected before 3-6 months. A day-after test isn't nearly enough.

SexyFantasyGirl likes this.
  4. SexyFantasyGirl

Gold Member

very sound advice from fbbg and sensless , don't guess when it comes to your health, go to your doctor and find out

5. Sexual Person

Sexual Person Member

Well I've had a blood test right after I had sex the day before. Does that count? I also had one blood test a couple of months after. I mean do you have to tell them you want them to check your blood for HIV specifically or can they just automatically see it in your blood even if you don't tell them?

6. Rhaenys

Gold Member

Nothing is going to show up in a test that fast. You have to specifically tell them what you want your blood to be tested for, otherwise they won't know what to look for since different infections/diseases require different testing processes. They probably won't even take a sample if you don't give them a specific reason for why you want them to.

loves2ride likes this.
  7. Sexual Person

Sexual Person Member

I thought that they could see anything in your blood no matter what's there without having to tell them.

8. Rhaenys

Gold Member

They can see if your body is trying to fight something off and narrow it down to possibilities based on the counts that come up, but you really have to give them something to work with so they can properly diagnose and treat you if something is going on (such as symptoms you've been experiencing, or something you think you may have been exposed to). But since HIV is an immune system disorder, your symptoms would feel more like the flu once it starts to surface. Go back to the doctor if you're still experiencing the same UTI-like symptoms though, and don't leave any details out.

loves2ride likes this.
  9. Sexual Person

Sexual Person Member

Well no I don't really feel sick at all. It's just sometimes they say it doesn't surface until at least 10 years sometimes and it freaked me out, but I guess I'm okay right?

10. whybother

Gold Member

We don't know if you are alright. Go to a doctor. If you don't have insurance go to a clinic. They will put your mind at ease.

11. Rhaenys

Gold Member

It depends on the person really. It can take weeks for some, and years for others. The best thing to do is go for regular testing once you start having sex because of that, and because other infections can take a long time to start showing symptoms (or not show any at all).

12. Sexual Person

Sexual Person Member

Before I had sex with him he told me he was fine, but then I ended up getting Scabies and that's gone now. It was curable. So I don't know if maybe I caught anything else too or what, because we had unprotected sex. I've had so many blood tests already though since then though.

13. Northside

Gold Member

Talk to the guy and have him tested. If he doesn't have it you don't either.

14. Sexual Person

Sexual Person Member

I am no longer in contact with this guy after we broke up over a year ago.

15. Northside

Gold Member

If it's been over a year since you saw and have been tested you should be fine. Talk to a doctor to get a better opinion than you'll get here. Good luck..

16. Mittimer

Gold Member

Go to a clinic. Planned Parenthood does full panel std testing for very inexpensive. I get a panel every year regardless of whether or not I've had any new sexual partners.

If you're getting general blood work, no, they won't see or test for HIV. Tell them you had unprotected sex and want to be sure. You can get a test result back within a couple days. It's easier pay for the test then come to a sex forum looking for medical advice.

Wear protection even if they say they are clean. People lie. Protect yourself. No excuses.

Amature and whybother like this.
  17. lbushwalker

Gold Member

There is a lot of well meaning advice on here but not all is correct.
    This is my area of professional work so I was going to PM you the facts but it does not appear that you allow that so if you want contact me instead or go with what I say below;
    I really believe that you are worrying needlessly but on the testing front the one you had the day after the event would only show baseline levels and not anything else.
    The worst case scenario would be HIV and most people will have antibodies i.e. seroconvert indicating infection within 6 weeks after exposure.
    Most other stuff will produce symptoms and you would know you had something with the exception possibly of Hep B & C and Chlamydia which sometimes can produce no symptoms.
    You need to know what you were tested for in the second and subsequent lot of tests to certain so perhaps you can ask for a copy of your results or at least be told what was tested and what were the results and not just a vague "all negative" answer that still leaves you wondering if everything was covered.

18. Sexual Person

Sexual Person Member

Uhm now you can message me.