I don't get phone contracts.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Animularisen, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Animularisen

Animularisen New Member

I'm having a problem with my mobile phone's contract.
    I've had this mobile since about august and only used it 1 month

they are charging me tons of money for not even using my phone

It's my mom who pays for it (so the me is her tbh) coz im 18 and she offered
    she has a mental illness and tbh i think there taking the piss

The phone was cut off because she was a week late with paying the first bill
    (she did ring up and tell them she would be)
    but its been 3 months and they are demanding more and more money
    and not reconnecting the phone.

help?

2. ~emm~

~emm~ New Member

fuck contract, they do scam. drop it asap IMO. do the good old pay as you go, so much easier and cant go wrong atall

3. Animularisen

Animularisen New Member

Yeah... im on a 18 month one tho...
    can u just drop them usually?

4. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

You might be able to make an arrangement with them, but if you signed an 18-month contract, it's just that -- you agreed to pay on time each month for 18 months. They'll NOT reconnect the phone until you're caught up with payments.

We have two phones on the same contract -- $72.00 per month with UP TO (I think) 500 minutes "any time, any where". We don't use them much, since we also have hardwired phone service.

It's a shame how many people's credit ratings get ruined because of cell phone charges. But you (your mom) did agree, so you do owe. Most are not "scams", but I really think some might be pretty close to that.

If you've decided that you just can't afford it and don't need it, I'd suggest that you and your mom go pay them a visit and tell them your problem. They might let you buy out the contract. It'll cost you a few hundred $$, but it'll keep your mom's credit intact and keep her out of court.

Good luck.

P.S. Next time get a phone where you buy the minutes ahead of time, like emm suggested. Shop around and get something you can live with that has no monthly fees.

P.P.S. Depending on what kind of mental illness your mother has, it's possible that she might get out of the contract because she couldn't comprehend it before signing. If that's the case the contract might not be legal, meaning she could get out of it. I'd suggest you see an attorney, but that would probably cost more than just paying the bill.

5. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

I used to be on Orange pay as you go....if you have the contract you may be able to drop in to a solicitors office and ask for some advice ( see if theres a legal way out of it.. )

Is there a pictons office near by ( they are a really good branch ) i used them on and off for 11 years

6. Animularisen

Animularisen New Member

There is a legal way out of it
    if there taking money off us that they should be

and the fact they are charging us £50 a month instead of the agreed £35 a month
    and that my mom has asked them to understand and give her more time and they
    are taking advantage of her coz she has a mental illnes.

7. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Hun thats time to call in a law suit against them....i defenetly would.
    It is against the law for them to over charge you on a contract that is signed and sealed at £35 a month.

You and your mum should seek some legal advice, because once that phone company realises you have gone to seek advice and help from a solicitor, they will be inclined to change what they are doing as they will know what they are doing is a sueable offence ( and could end up costing them where it hurts them most ( because once someone takes them to court and wins , many others will follow suit to, and that is something they will know themselves.

In many ways some companies are very much like small children ( seeing how far they can cross the lines , and if no one steps in and tells them they are doing wrong they push past that line further all the time.

8. Buffalo204

Buffalo204 Member

GO to their office and talk to them face to face. Also if you have an older male friend you can take along do it. I find that if you talk to them over the phone you get no place fast.

9. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

They are probably doing this to every customer they have...
    I am not saying you have to be the first , but someone sure needs to light a fire under their ass's :p

10. bighiker2003

bighiker2003 Banned

I have had a cell phone for 15 years.
    And i did have a problem at one point, I couldn't hear the companies
    phone ring, They let out of our contract.
    A phone is like everything in the world, if you don't pay
    you don't get free service, Your Moms illness will not get you anywhere
    because your mind is good

Hiker

11. melicious

melicious The Old Maid
    Gold Member

I'm sorry. How are they taking advantage of her because she has a mental illness? How do they know? I missed something.

12. emerlyj

emerlyj New Member

Was the contract definitely £35 for every month? It may have been that it wen up after the first month, or that they charge for late payments. If not they have broken their side of the contract so i think you should be able to get out of it.

13. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

England works a touch different to American laws.
    But usualy in England if you slap a law suit on them, they tend to sort things out sharpish.

14. Animularisen

Animularisen New Member

I have the contract.... It states £35 a month for 18 months to get 1000 free texts and 500 free minutes.

I've only ever been able to use the phone for one month.

I'm not denying they don't have the right to cut the phone off if we didn't pay. But she rang up asked for more time and paid it all 2 weeks ago but now they are demanding more money (£100) and are not allowing connection. Yet they won't tell her what the extra £100 is for, as if it's for Septembers month payment it should be £35 like the contract or £50 like there stating on the phone, Not £100.

(and the company doesn't care who uses the phone, they care who's the bill payer (my mom))

15. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

You seem to be in the right, they seem to be trying to make a quick $200 from you ( £100 in our money hehe )

By the ways does that programme in England still exsist ( called Watch Dog ? ) perhaps giving them a call would be a good idea, as they love stuff like this.

Or just phone them ( your exsisting phone comapny) up and demand why they are charging you an extra 100, say you wish it in writing as to what this extra money is actualy for ( you may find its a rip off scam about reconnextion charge )

If in doubt say fuck them, drop into a Phones4U shop and buy a pay as you go phone. ( obviously with a different phone company.)

Another idea is phone up British Telecom ( as all of these other companies have to get their line rental through them.) they rent space from BT.
    Perhaps their staff can put you through to someone that can actualy help you by inquiring for you on your behalf as to what this extra charge is for

there about the only ideas i can think off hun :(

16. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

Could the extra 15 be taxes and/or late fees? I just paid the monthly statement for my land line. It's a $39.99 per month plan, but with all the taxes and various fees added in, the bill comes to $63.75 per month plus any long distance calls.

Your first step should be to visit them, with your mother, and have them explain it to you. If her mental illness and your inexperience with contracts, etc. make it difficult to understand what they're saying, bring along someone who might be a better negotiator. If you still have your contract, read the fine print closely. Their statement probably lists the extra charges too. Have your "negotiator", if you use one, also read over the contract's fine print and the statements you've received.

When dealing with them, keep a cool head. Making accusations and getting into a heated argument will get you nowhere. Chances are 100 to 1 that they're going by the contract, and the best way for you to solve the problem is to work WITH them on it.

17. bighiker2003

bighiker2003 Banned

Thanks Joe for saying it right.
    i wanted to but everytime I do someone jumps me.

Hiker

18. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

I've been getting daily recorded messages on my phone from my step-son-in-law's cell phone company. I'll be damned if I'll pay it. He owes them over $1500. How the hell does a kid run up a $1500 phone bill in a month? No, I did not sign for him. He gave them our phone number because he lived with us for a month or two a couple years ago when he signed up for it. He now lives half a continent away. I won't say where I'd like to put his phone. On this board everyone would think I'm kinky.

19. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

lmao Joe ...

but wow £800 in a month thats just insain..

20. HardRocker

Gold Member

I agree with Joe. As much as people want to believe they are all out to hose you, it's extremely unlikely that they are operating outside the terms of the contract you signed. It's essential that you familiarize yourself with every detail of your contract. I do believe that some of the add ons and taxes are ridiculous, but they are all outlined in print before you sign the line.

I've found if you talk with creditors face to face, and explain your misunderstanding, and express your intent to pay, most of the time they want to be helpful and will work out a payment plan that will fit your ability to pay.
    Live and learn.