I cant even think of a title for this... just wow...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sexual Trex, Dec 1, 2006.

1. sexual Trex

sexual Trex New Member

how absolutely gut-wrenchingly retarded is this:

Monday, November 27 12:00 AM ET

MPAA Lobbying for Home Theater Regulations
    By Scott Small

Los Angeles , CA - The MPAA is lobbying congress to push through a new bill that would make unauthorized home theaters illegal. The group feels that all theaters should be sanctioned, whether they be commercial settings or at home.

MPAA head Dan Glickman says this needs to be regulated before things start getting too far out of control, "We didn't act early enough with the online sharing of our copyrighted content. This time we're not making the same mistake. We have a right to know what's showing in a theater."

The bill would require that any hardware manufactured in the future contain technology that tells the MPAA directly of what is being shown and specific details on the audience. The data would be gathered using various motion sensors and biometric technology.

The MPAA defines a home theater as any home with a television larger than 29" with stereo sound and at least two comfortable chairs, couch, or futon. Anyone with a home theater would need to pay a $50 registration fee with the MPAA or face fines up to $500,000 per movie shown.

MPAA and DVD Manufacturers Agree on HD-DVD Format
    "Just because you buy a DVD to watch at home doesn't give you the right to invite friends over to watch it too. That's a violation of copyright and denies us the revenue that would be generated from DVD sales to your friends," said Glickman. "Ideally we expect each viewer to have their own copy of the DVD, but we realize that isn't always feasible. The registration fee is a fair compromise.

The bill also stipulates that any existing home theaters be retrofitted with the technology or else the owner is responsible for directly informing the MPAA and receiving approval before each viewing.

2. sexual Trex

sexual Trex New Member

my friggin jaw dropped when i read this... i find this so abhorently disgusting.. i wish it wasnt illegal to hit ppl cuz that guy i swear he'd be one of the first id be hitting.. just for being a complete snivelling little putz

at any rate.. i couldnt see congress passing that bill, thats a huge invasion of privacy 'sensors to tell how many people are in the room' come the fuck on

now that i think about it, anything that blatantly arrogant has to be a hoax

3. loveit247

Gold Member

I can't quite beleive that. If I buy a DVD then it is mine, I can show it to whoever I like as long as I am not charging them to see it. PLEASE, that is just stupid!

And I will also have whatever size TV I want as well as have the right to furnish my house in which ever way I want. We are really becoming a big brother world aren't we!

4. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

Fuck big brother, the part I find most aggravating is the fact that were probably "paying" some anally retentive pencil pushing public servant to come up with this load of drivel:yell

5. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

Oh, it's just the same ol' same ol' which has been going on since way back in the way back. Theatre owners, the movie people and others trying to maximize their profits and keep in business. I remember back in the day when cable TV was first coming out. The businesses were all atwitter about how it would cut into their profits and so on and so forth. I think that two things will probably happen. The ACLU (doing some good for once) and other such organizations will probably lobby and file court cases to protect people from invasion of privacy and so forth. On the other hand, local zoning laws will probably be passed to keep people from using their homes as public theaters where they run businesses and charge admission, etc. All this by way of saying is that the end result will probably be that you will probably still be able to have friends over, at a social gathering, to see a movie for free, you just won't be able to use your residence as a movie theater where you charge admission as part of a business. Of course, some people will still do it as a business although occasionally neighbors and law enforcement will get suspicious and from time to time people will get busted for having a business improperly on their property. Although not an attorney (and I don't play one on TV either, ha, ha ;>) I would just suggest that if anyone is showing movies to friends in their homes, keep the numbers of people down and don't have big gatherings of people to see movies, or what have you, too frequently and keep the noise down. What usually sets neighbors off causing them to complain and draws the suspicion of police is when people get too loud too frequently, when they are taking up too much of the on street parking in a neighborhood too often, when a lot of traffic is coming and going from a residence on a regular basis and, in connection with any of these, if property damage occurs to neighbors property and/or you start having theft and/or assaults in a neighborhood as the perceived result of the gatherings,traffic, etc. at a local residence. If somebody wants to go into the movie theater business, even on a small scale, you really need to hire a hall or get some property and build a theater in areas zoned for business, get your business license, incorporate if it's gonna be large, and just follow local regulations and so forth. If you don't want to do all that then you need to keep it small, keep it quiet, NEVER disturb the neighbors for any reason and keep it infrequent. IMHO, of course.

6. Ryan

Ryan Gold Member

Do I smell "theonion.com"?

7. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Looks like I'll have to register the 57" I have at home ... Fuckers! I wanna burn something!

8. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

Don't forget to fill out the forms in triplicate! A lot of state and federal agencies are not yet paper free! ;> Of course, then again, maybe you could start burning the forms, ha, ha!

"theonion.com"?! Whut dat?!

9. Bluesy

Gold Member

I do. I can't wrap my mind around the possibility that it's anything but a joke.

It's a spoof satirical online news site. Some of it's hilarious, and some of it is just a bit too juvenile for my tastes. You should check it out :)

10. Bella

Gold Member

Let's hope it's a joke or someone better come & bail my ass out!!
    ~Bella

11. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

It's definitely satire. Someone posted the same thing on Slashdot.com and made it clear that it was not real, although I wouldn't put it past the MPAA to make a ridiculous ruling like that. Bastards.

Edit: I did some more googling and discovered that the story was first posted on a website called BBSpot, the tech equivalent of The Onion, and then it was reposted on Slashdot, Shoutwire, and other tech websites as a satirical piece. Check out this website here for more information.