I almost cried tonight.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jayce, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Jayce

Gold Member

Went with my girlfriend to the local elementary school where they have an after school program for kids where they can stay with supervisors in the gym until their parents, who work late, can pick them up. She used to work there, and doesn't anymore, but frequently visits because the kids miss her.

Well I was outside of the gym looking through the window and out of no where this girl randomly falls face forward into the hard floor. I freaked out and opened the door and ran inside as everyone else crowded her. Turns out she was messing around on the chin up bar, her hand slipped, and she railed her chin on the bar. I don't know how, but she took 2 steps, and just flopped forward, dead on her face. Some of the adults there rounded the other girls up who were very upset outside for practice while we dealt with the ambulance and EMT and everything inside. A police officer was there to help too. When they got her stabilized and on a stretcher she said "Am I gonna die?" while bawling her eyes out. The cops eyes got real big and he said, oh sweetie you're not going to die. Just seeing him look up at us completely floored of how scared the little girl was really got to me.

No idea how she's doing, but she was showing good signs there. She never blacked out, remembers everything, and had zero pain in her back/neck/shoulders/head. I just felt so bad, she was shreeking for her dad and went hysterical when the EMT guys showed up and put gloves on and got the stretcher out. Luckily my gf was there, she's a huge softball fan and was talking to the girl about softball (the little girl was in the gym for softball practice when this happened). That calmed her down.

But it just got to me when she asked if she was going to die. Then I looked and saw the big brawny cop nearly choke on his words as he said "oh hun, you'll be just fine." Which in reality, I'm sure she is. But still... nothing worse than seeing a child in pain. Nothing.

2. melicious

melicious The Old Maid
    Gold Member

Jayce, you are so sweet. You rock, man!

3. Thorn

Gold Member

That got to me Jayce. I've heard that one of the hardest calls to go on for cops, EMTs, and even 911 operators to take, is when children are hurt, especially if they have kids of their own. I than it's neat that you were so touched by the little girl and you don't have kids yet.

4. Dreama

Gold Member

You have a good heart, Jayce. And, that was really sad.

5. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

One time when I was teaching in Japan a little girl slipped and "face-planted" right onto the floor. She immediately started bawling and her nose began to bleed. I took her to the bathroom and got her cleaned up a little and then went to fetch her mother. We got the bleeding under control and eventually she stopped crying, but both she and I were covered in her blood. I had to go home and change clothes and as I walked home tears kept streaming down my face. The sight of that poor little girl crying and bleeding was too much for me to bear. I can't even think about it now without crying a little.

After I calmed down and got back to work, the secretary told me that the little girl's mother wanted let me know that she was just fine and to thank me for taking care of her daughter, She had gone out and bought me a little gift. I felt totally unworthy of it, but I was just happy that the girl was okay.

6. SexyScorp

Gold Member

Oh that really touched me...

And made me so grateful that I can be here for
    our little boy.......

Oh God if anything like that happened to him and I
    wasnt there....I would be mortified...

One morning I woke up with a start at approx 3am..
    I could hear our son shouting "Mum, mum, I love you"

I went rushing into his room and he had fallen out of
    bed and had become entangled in the quilt, almost
    suffocating..

Later on I asked him why he was shouting out "I love
    you Mum" to which he replied "I thought I was gonna
    die and just wanted you to know"....

One reason I dont drink booze is because I want to
    make sure I can always be there and sober if he needs
    me...

Oh God....children so bring out the heart in you dont they?

:( :)