Hurricane Katrina

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Frank Grimes, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes New Member

At the risk of starting a big argument, I wanted to find out how everyone else felt about how everything was handled in the aftermath of the Hurricane. I think the Feds were slow in reacting, but when you talk about the storms that were created by the Hurricane, and the damage to roads, bridges, etc and the lack of fuel to boot (not to mention numerous other complications) is somewhat understandable.

I think the State of Louisiana and the City of New Orleans bear much responsibility as well for not having better evacuation plans in place. But what do you do with so many people that refuse to leave??? Lot of intelligent people on this board; wanted to see how others felt about it.

Regardless of your stance, I hope everyone is giving to the Red Cross or some other aid organization.

2. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

The first few days found me very upset with the federal government. I mean, what the hell is Homeland Security about anyway - I was really mad. Mad at Bush, mad at the National Guard leaders, mad at the Red Cross, mad at every one who touted themselves as an agency that rushed to the aid of our fellow citizens!

Then the facts began to come out:
    -Homeland Security urged Nagin to make evacuation MANDATORY more than 24 hours before he actually did that.
    -President Bush called the mayor in the wee hours of Sat. night/ Sunday morning, and made the strongly urgent plea to call for mandatory evacuation.
    --News Flash: there's a Catagory 5 hurricane, half the size of the Gulf of Mexico, headed straight for you ..."WTF?"?
    So finally Nagin does it.

Since the local gov't did not call for evacuations before Sunday , the feds had no real clout to send their troops in and begin federal security measures. If they had FORCED their way in, political activists would have been screaming: "Big Brother! Big Brother!"
    Soooooo,
    1. No supplies to sustain the displaced victims
    2. No plan as to how to handle tens of thousands of residents not able to return to their homes. – make that hundreds of thousands…
    3. Even though this is America, all law enforcement should have known that the chaotic atmosphere was going to encourage lawlessness. Duh….
    4. No coordination of rescue and relief measures. Seemed every agency was a vigilante. - Even regular people showed up with their boats to save others. We all felt so helpless - and this was not a surprise terrorist act, it was fore-warned for several days!

I know that hindsight is 20/20. I certainly hope that much is learned from this disaster and the problems that followed. It could just as easily happen next week, to Pensacola, or Miami….

3. columbus17

columbus17 New Member

I like your response Rose. I feel much the same way.

I also feel the citizenry should bear some brunt of the aftermath of the storm, especially those who had the wherewithall to evacuate , but chose to be stubborn.

4. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

I can understand their hesitation in leaving. So many times before, they have been asked to leave, and it has been a false alarm. - And some were afraid if they left, their homes would be looted by those who remained.
    I notice most of the criticism is not coming from the ones who actually had the means and opportunity to evacuate. The ones who had money and vehicles, but remained, seem to know it was their choice, and they blew it.
    It's the poor, elderly and sick that were essentially 'left behind". Opening one auditorium (and without stocking it with water and rations and adequate plumbing...) for thousands of people seems to have been some lame attempt to cover the fact that no one had any plans in that city. They just seemed to throw it together. Even though they knew they would face this at some point in history.

Let's hope that all areas that have a tendancy toward a natural disaster will learn from this. They should have a designated stockpile area that could be distributed at a moments notice, with a chain of command already in place, should a disaster happen.

But while we and others debate these issues, I hope we remember Frank's encouragement to give to the relief fund :tup

5. BiBiBaby

BiBiBaby New Member

i'm gonna cry! this is my 3rd time trying to post this!!!

8 years ago my hometown underwent a mandated evacuation. no one wanted to leave, but we did. the river that runs through town floods every year, and every year we prepared for it. but this particular year the forcasts got increasingly worse by the hour. no one knew what to really expect. so we were woken at 4am by national gaurdsmen with bullhorns saying GET OUT. a town of nearly 70k went under water the next night but no one died as direct result of the weather/water/not evacuating. no one!
    [​IMG]

so what i dont understand is how people living in a subsealevel town (and i've stood next to the river there and looked up at it, creepy!!) can see a cat4 then a cat5 coming straight at them for DAYS and not leave. i just dont understand that.

that is not to say however that i am not compassionate. my family has already donated 500 to a fund at work that will be matched dollar for dollar before being donated to the redcross. also my mom, friends, and i are in an upcoming parade where we will have a pirate theme and we are going to be collecting 'loot' for the victims which will also be donated through work in order to maximize the effect.