Hulk hogan sex tapes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dog_E_Ryder, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Dog_E_Ryder

Gold Member

This could be troubling, the court ruling on the Hulk Hogan sex tapes may end up affecting all kinds of sites what we post as internet pictures, depending how Gawkers appeal goes in a higher court. The liability will be too costly. What's your thoughts?

2. Dog_E_Ryder

Gold Member

The Hulk Hogan trial that could redefine freedom of expression on the internet, explained

A Florida jury granted famous wrestler Hulk Hogan $115 million in compensatory damages to be paid by Gawker, the news site that Hogan has accused of violating his privacy by publishing a video of him engaged in a sex act. An adverse verdict is what Gawker was expecting, and the company plans to appeal, but even if Gawker prevails the need to post a bond equivalent to the full total of damages ordered will be a major financial burden...............
    http://www.vox.com/2016/3/8/11181536/hulk-hogan-gawker

3. Mikey22

Gold Member

I think it my be,kind of early. To determine,if it redefines. Freedom of expression,on the internet, But. The Hulkster has a good case. Not knowing,he was being video taped. I don't think the case is worth $ 115 Million. Hulk retired,from the ring. And he is to over the hill, to come back. I'm sure he has a High end life style,that he would like to maintain. And may need money. I don't really know. Just seems like theirs so many ex sports figures that end up broke. But really Hogan should be thank full, He's not on one of those dead wrestler lists. He may be one of the few,that makes it over the age of 50:)

4. Nixie

Gold Member

Actually, there are already plenty of laws in countries like the USA, UK, etc. that restrict what can be posted as "internet pictures", which is why this sentence exists in the terms and rules section of this site, as well as many others you'll find online:

"We respect the intellectual property rights of all parties, and have adopted a policy regarding termination of repeat copyright infringers under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Copies of Our Repeat Infringer Policy are available on request to our customers or subscribers."

If someone sees their photo posted ononline by someone else, and the person who posted it doesn't own the copyright (or have consent to post it), the person in the photo and/or the person that took it (who in many countries is the copyright holder) may be well within their rights to file a DMCA request to have it removed.

In addition to DMCA (and similar) laws, there are also laws already existing in some countries that state you cannot post sexual images/videos online if the person in them isn't aware you're doing it (you can be added to the sex offenders register in some cases if you do this). So that's another whole thing to consider.

I'm not saying any of this to be a killjoy, or to tell people not to post "internet pictures", as I know that is a highly contentious issue with members on this site. I'm just pointing out laws that already exist that perhaps some people don't know about, and that it's always good to know that laws of the land(s) before doing anthing that might land you into a heap of trouble down the road.

10_3XL and lucky5338 like this.
  5. Dog_E_Ryder

Gold Member

Oh I agree of the protection of intellectual rights of images as well as the hulk's case, but we also have to take in consideration the fall out of this. Here in the USA, this will create a never ending flow of Saul Goodmans looking for his next meal ticket. Sites such as this one and others will be targeted and fished looking for those targets by these meal ticket hunters. It will virtually bring an end to internet pictures and it will hamper even real people being able to verify who they are. Sounds good on paper getting rid of fakes would be a good thing, but most sites will cease to exist, because there will be too much involved in operation of a site and it's expense on doing so. The chance of a site being held up with some ridiculously high liability suit will be high.

I realize a lot of these laws already exist, but the internet is such a vast waste land and the fact it was hard to prove a site or a news rag was libel for violating these laws.

Now with this decision, it will set a precedence in the courts and the award of liability very attractive for the Sauls of the world to pursue them. So this is one of those situations were we can say yay for the hulks of the world who's rights were violated, but we will pay for it to compensate the Sauls in the world that we just created a new business plan for.

6. Candela

Verified Gold Member

Just one of the several reasons I don't show nude!