How'd you meet your significant other?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jayce, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Jayce

Gold Member

I don't have much experience in the dating department. When I was 15 I kind of struck gold and was with that girl up until a few weeks ago and I'm 20 now. So needless to say my dating skills aren't that high, however I'm not afraid to talk to a girl.

Just tell me how you folks met your significant other. I'm trying to think of things I can do, places I can go, just to do something different and be out there where people can see me. Right now the only possible "hangout" I can think of where there's a high chance of seeing folks of similar age is the mall. And who scouts the mall to pick up chicks, unless you're 13?

2. cbrmale

Gold Member

Well after a five year relationship, you shouldn't have too much trouble with confidence and girls. To be honest most of my girlfriends came from various workplaces, we got to know each other a bit, I'd invite them out. I then got to 26 and was looking for something less random, so I went to an introduction agency (this is pre-Internet days) and had a couple of dates with a couple of girls who were obviously looking for something less random as well. The third girl I met is my now-wife of more than twenty years.

Don't know if such places exist now, but they did in 1986.

3. Jayce

Gold Member

Yeah. I met my former gf at my last job. But the current place I work is just, wow. The selection is terrible. I'm the baby in that place. Everyone seems to be at least 10 years older than me, and majority of them are in their 40-60s.

Some of my friends were barkin at me that I needed to make a myspace, so I slapped a simple one together. After tinkering around with the browse feature I realized how thorough it could get. So I figured I'd search for any female within 20 miles who's single and looking for dating/serious relationships. I found 2 that stood out to me. One of them works at the kmart up the street. The other is going to a local college, and it happens to be the same college I quit in March before I started at a different college (tech school). I messaged her, but she hasn't gotten back to me. I can see she read it, and she's been online multiple times since then, but hasn't responded. The first one who works at kmart made small talk with me via IM, but she just seemed like she had no interest. We talked about music, cars, her hobbies, etc, but it was a one sided conversation. I ask, she answers. She never asked me anything back, so I got bored of her, lol.

I often go to that kmart though, so I was thinking about swinging by to pick up some things and go to the department she works at to check out. Then just casually ask her a question that ONLY someone who read her page would know. And quite frankly, I doubt many kmart customers have seen employee's myspace profiles.

But oh well. It's not like I have many places to go around here, and the field I'm going into is a male-dominated society yet, so I really can't expect to run into my future wife at my dream job either.

4. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

Jayce, mah home fry, if you don't mind my humble, respectful, kindly meant suggestion, I would urge to you try OKCupid. It's free. You go on there, register like you would here. You take some entertaining yet very accurate tests. You also answer some questions which helps improve your matches. Then, having done that - again, very entertaining, I think that you would enjoy it greatly - you hit the icon which provides you with matches. You can specify if you want them fairly close to where you are to elsewhere in the United States or even elsewhere in the world. Anyway, I will just bet you that if you use OKCupid, it will provide you with several matches who will be very good matches for you. You can arrange to chat with them in real time or arrange to exchange email - either via OKCupid or otherwise - and, if you like each other, arrange to meet. If you don't mind paying for it, you can go on one of the services like eHarmony which, again, is VERY accurate, and I will bet that you can hook up with someone there, too. If I was trying to find a girlfriend these days, I would use something like OKCupid and/or eHarmony without a doubt! This stuff of trying to look around and trust blind luck to find a girlfriend is just, in my mind, a waste of time and too much of a hassle with the possibility of getting burned. I think that OKCupid and eHarmony are great and more likely to get you with someone well matched for you. In my humble opinion of course.

5. pirouette

Gold Member

We met in college. It was his 2nd year and my last year. When I graduated and returned home he followed. Initially he transfered to another school. After taking the classes pertaining to his work, he quit school and opened a small business. And today is our anniversary. :)

6. Jayce

Gold Member

Aw, congrats Pirouette!

HerHubby - I THINK I may have a candidate. :D I ended up making a myspace page 4 or 5 days ago when I realized I was the only person in my program at school that didn't have one. After tinkering around with the search and realizing how thorough it can get, I started to browse around. I found 3 girls.

Girl 1 - never responded. :(

Girl 2 - talked to her via AIM, but it was obvious she wasn't giving a shit.

Girl 3 - just talked to her via AIM last night. She told me she thought highly of the fact that I let her vent about her rough day and tried my best to throw some encouraging words her way. She said she'd be delighted to talk to me tomorrow after class. She lives nearby, is single, says in her profile that she's there for friends/serious relationships, claims she's never been in love so I doubt she has had a serious/meaningful relationship, has very very similar interests as me except for horseback riding (not that I don't like it, I just never had the opportunity). So yeah, we'll see what happens. Trying not to get my hopes up but from what I know about her already I'd like to take her out and get to know her a bit more. But I don't want to scare her - baby steps!

I'll check out OKCupid at some point, but I'd rather take my time with this girl and see how things go first. :brow :)

PS - I almost feel guilty. I dated my past girlfriend for 5 years, we're still friends, and about 3 weeks later I'm already moving on. I can't help it though, I guess deep down I realize that the last 4 or 5 months of our relationship, even the summer vacation, wasn't as bubbley and exciting as it used to be. I suppose that's why I'm finding it so easy to move on already, because I've had 4-5 months of preparation. :uhh: :(

7. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

I met my wife online in a chat room. Neither of us were looking for a partner at the time, but we just hit it off. I also met my late wife online on a board like this one (but a writer's board). I asked a simple question, she answered, I dropped her an email for clarification and details, and we were soon good friends. It turned out that we were both in the middle of divorces. I paid her a visit before either of our divorces were final, then another visit after mine was final, and when both divorces were final she came for a visit and never left.

8. Thorn

Gold Member

Congratulations pirouette! :toast :cheer

9. Thorn

Gold Member

I met Rose in church. My buddy introduced her to me as his sister and I thought she was jail bait so I didn't go after her at first. When I found out she was 23, I asked her out and we were married 5 months latter. That will be 29 years the end of this month.

10. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

A belated congratulations on your anniversary, pirouette! Hope you two had a wonderful day! Best wishes to you for many more to come! Uh, I mean "come" in the traditional sense, however, I hope you both "come" together a lot, too! ;>

11. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Dude ... your wife STILL qualifies as jailbait.

12. Dreama

Gold Member

I met my fiance at a party, and ever since I saw him, it was only him I ever really looked at. 9 months later, we got engaged, and now, a year later today, we're still going strong...I hope it lasts as long as Thorn and Rose's marriage has, and will.

13. Jayce

Gold Member

Update:

So we decided to meet up before she went to work. She works at a Victoria Secret in the mall (bonus points there :p) and I work at a printing industry next to the mall. I got off at 1130 and told her I could be there by noon (traffic, changing, 1/4 mile walk to my car, etc) and she had to work at 1230. So we met up and got some coffee and sat down in the center of the mall to have a nice chat. She's a very nice girl, very pretty.

The thing I liked most about her is I was outside of her store waiting for her, and I happened to look down the aisle. There she was coming towards me, I smiled and she just blushed and got this HUGE smile on her face. It was just so welcoming to me. Then when I gave her a hug, it wasn't a 2 second "ehh not sure yet" hug, it was a big ole long lasting bear hug. I thought so highly of that.

But we had a great time chatting. Her schedule for the weekend isn't finished so she's going to see what she can do about getting an evening off so we can go out to dinner.

The other thing I like about her is she's very open with me. I've seen pictures and talked to her on the phone but I never met her in real life until this afternoon. I mean, we talked about anything... from why right guard deodorent feels like I'm gluing my armpits shut to our personal preferences on underwear style, even about past relationships (what was right, what went wrong, why, how, etc).

Ah well. Now to take her out to dinner. Can't waaaaaaait! :woohoo

14. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

WooHoo! Love is in the air!

Good luck, Jayce!

15. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Krof and I also met online only it wasn't an online dating website like OKCupid. We both happened to be members of the Whose Line is it Anyway television show message board. I was working in Japan and he was living here in Sweden. We started out PMing each other on the website and then moved onto instant messanging and SMSing each other as often as we could. After a while we got up the nerve to call one another and I ran up $500 in mobile phone bills. :eek Finally we made the decision to meet in person and I flew to Sweden. That was over a year ago now and we just returned from a trip to the US where Krof finally got to meet my parents and extended family. They we're all quite impressed with him especially with how polite and mature he was for a 21 year-old. That's my baby. :)

Soon after I arrived here last October I was able to find a job teaching English at a local high school and now that I've established myself I've been able to get more teaching hours and now work at three different schools in the district. I'm also (finally) taking a Swedish language course.

So that's our story. This Victoria Secret's girl sounds really sweet and nice, Jayce. I hope the two of you hit it off. *sigh* Ain't love grand? Good luck!

16. Bluesy

Gold Member

I'll second that :D