How old is old?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by backcheck64, Aug 15, 2014.

1. backcheck64

Gold Member

I was called old by a member, a 22 yr old member. Since when is 50 old? Yes some of my classmates from HS have been dropping dead, but those of us committed to physical fitness are doing fine. Does the fact that I play hockey with guys in their 20s and knock the shit out of them make me old? Does the fact I can do 75 to 100 miles in a day make me old? Does the fact I get around 15K steps a day when the national average is 5K make me old? Does the fact that most people I meet think I'm 15 yrs younger than I am make me old? Does the fact that on vacation we plan on riding 200+ miles off road in Sedona make me old?

I was just curious, how many of you 50 yr olds have a 22 yr old granddaughters? My daughter is just, well she's not old enough to drive yet.

2. Doitagain

Verified Gold Member

I'll be 40 with a 2 year old soon. I think the official age is 40 for old lol. Just because it's the over the hill age for novelties. But as I get older the age of old goes up. But really I think you are as old as you feel. Ever see that video of some young punk picking on the retired gray old man on the buss? He ends up kicking the shit out of him lol. Like Danny trejo in " Badass" lol

3. AtkCCC

Gold Member

Well I'm 50 and must say that I’m enjoying this portion of my life more than previous decades. Don’t really give a rat’s behind if some think its old or not.

Doitagain likes this.
  4. HotForHoney

Gold Member

It's relative.
    50 to a 22 year old is old; 50 to a 75 year old isn't.

5. armadillo

Gold Member

HFH beat me to it. It's all relative. Yes, to a 22 year old, 50 could be considered old. Nothing to get defensive about, haha.

Doitagain likes this.
  6. 12barblues

Gold Member

Just turned 50 this year... My brain thinks I'm 25 tho.... Have a 15 yr old and a 10 yr old.......
    I agree w H4H... All's relative ...

7. 10_3XL

Verified Gold Member

First off: I'm 25 -so I'm still just a wee sprout over here. :p
    To the topic at hand: To me Old is more of a state of mind/existence than a chronological number. My maternal grandpa is 81(!), has horrid health issues (i.e. 15% lung capacity from smoking), and definitely looks old. However, he maintains a garden, works in his carpentry shop, goes on regular road trips with my grandma (she's 79), and all sorts of other things that most of us don't even do in our (chronological) youth. To me, in spite of the high number of years he's seen, he is not Old.
    Another example was my paternal great grandmother. Lived to 98 and never a day in her life was she Old - even to the last. She was so young and ornery that she didn't even get put into hospice care until her 97th year. :p

On the other hand, my best friend's mother (she's like a second mum to me) - she's Old. Only just now 51 and you'd think she was 90 from the way she looks/acts. My friend and his younger brother are essentially her caretakers in virtually every way except toileting. It's really sad. I'm actually a legal witness on her living last will & testament. My friend has told me it's not a question of "if" she will pass within the next 5 years; it's a question of "when" in the next 5 years... The funny thing is many of her health issues mirror those that my grandpa lives with. Different people handle things differently, and she handles them as I feel an Old Person would whereas Grandpa handles them like a guy my age (or even younger) would.

So having said all that: Old is not defined by the number of years you have spent on this planet. Old is defined by the way in which you live your life. Based off all I know of you, Backcheck64, you are most definitely NOT Old... not even aging... you make me feel old.

8. luvbug

Gold Member

Im 46 and my daughter and her friends constantly tell me Im NOT old. Love those kids...lol

I don't feel old. I may look it...but I don't feel old. I still feel like a kid. lol

9. RubyAsh

Gold Member

Your only as old as you feel.
    I know 20 something year olds that act and think as if they're old age pensioners. I know some 50 year olds that are very young at heart.
    Personally, I don't feel my actual age and my children also see this in me. LOL - sometimes I'm more childish than they are :D

10. backcheck64

Gold Member

I tend to believe age is a combination of state of mind and physical condition. Several of the people I know that I graduated are , not to offend anyone, fat, grey, couch potatoes. I find it hard to believe the number of people that think I'm nuts for still playing hockey, cycling distances, etc. Several of the parents of our kids friends who's parents are younger do nothing. Work and that's it. They don't exercise, travel, do anything beyond fishing maybe, and it's not economics, all have similar incomes. Several are terrified of NYC, we've been there several times and going again while were skiing in the Poconos over chirstmas.... and they don't ski either. We'll be in FLA for spring break surfing and boogie boarding, both if which they don't do and none will wear a bikini much less rock one like my wife. My daughters friend was shocked to find out my wife was on the edge of 50, she said she thought she was like 32, or 33 to which my daughter looked at her and said, "my mother wasn't 17 when she had me and 15 when my bother was born"... my wife told my daughter to tell her she loved her LOL. It boils down to a frame of mind and lifestyle. My parents and my inlaws are the same age. My mother in law is confined to her house on oxygen 24/7 and almost the size of her house. My parents are on the go, getting ready to drive 1800 miles to my sisters, work in the yard all of the time, walk, go see broadway productions, etc.

11. 12barblues

Gold Member

The first sentence of this post ... SO rings true for me... I particularly believe that ones "state of mind" is directly related to and dependant upon ones physical condition.

12. ginger

Gold Member

I feel 29 most evenings :D

JonJo likes this.
  13. HotForHoney

Gold Member

Thought you felt 32?!!! I mean thought you felt a 32 year old most nights!

14. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Ok, I am 61 years young and for the last 4.5 years teamed up with a now 31 year old wonderful woman.
    Have had more sex in one year with her than in my entire previous lifetime.
    We still manage 4 to 6 times a week and often those all on the weekend, in other words we are fuck rabbits when the opportunity arises.
    She keeps me young and I help keep her happy :)
    So the question should be; too old for what?

12barblues, pinotnoir and HotForHoney like this.
  15. pinotnoir

pinotnoir Member

I just turned 50 this year too. Do all 50-year olds end up here? At home I act about 16 with my kids (all 16 and older), my dick thinks I'm 25. People can't believe I'm 50 when they know my age.

16. lbushwalker

Gold Member

Pinotnoir; it's the antioxidants!

pinotnoir likes this.
  17. pinotnoir

pinotnoir Member

That's what SHE said...

18. pinotnoir

pinotnoir Member

Yeah, but 22 to a 50 year old isn't.

19. lbushwalker

Gold Member

When I was 22 I used to think a dude of 50 was old and in fact did not wish to live to that age.
    Now more than a decade beyond what I thought was my use by date I'm hoping to make it to 70 and still be fucking ;)
    My old man is due to turn 90 but has been out of sexual circulation for 20 years due to prostate cancer surgery.
    I'm using mine as much as possible before that happens too.

20. Ra1nb0wUnderwear

Gold Member

I'm 24, and 50 is 'old' to me. Realistically, my parents are older than that. But relative to my age, it's definitely old.

That being said, who said being old was bad?