how long do i have to wait for bc pills to be effective?

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by RAMBO85, Oct 25, 2007.

1. RAMBO85

RAMBO85 New Member

My gf started taking birth control pills about 3 weeks ago. how long should i wait till there effective in her body? and if my gf takes them every day is there anything to worry about if i were not to use a condom? thanks

2. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

They became fully effective about one week after she started taking them. As long as you're in an exclusive relationship with your girlfriend and been tested for STDs there's no reason why you shouldn't be having sex bareback.

As far as whether there's anything to worry about, just be aware that no method of birth control is 100% effective against pregnancy (apart from abstinence, of course), but using condoms alone is a lot less effective than using the pill. If she's consistent with her pills, takes them at the same time everyday, etc, then the chances of her getting pregnant are about 0.1%. Almost negligible.

3. RAMBO85

RAMBO85 New Member

thanks puss im just asking because the doc said she had to wait a month, and i was just wondering why the long wait.

4. Bluesy

Gold Member

:uhh: If her doctor says to wait one month, that's how long it will take for them become effective. Why are you questioning her doctor's instructions? I've been on BC pills before, and, yes, I had to wait one cycle (28 days) before my partner and I were able to forgo the condoms.

ETA: She'll have used up one entire packet of pills, since there are 28 of them (21 if there are no placebos). Then, and only then, can you have condom-free sex.

5. RAMBO85

RAMBO85 New Member

i was just thinking that maybe the doc was trying to be safe and said a month. but personally i can wait as long as it takes for it to be effective

6. Bluesy

Gold Member

It takes one cycle (one month) for a woman's hormones to adjust to the BC, suppressing ovulation the following cycle. Any time before that and you may very well hit ovulation.

7. RAMBO85

RAMBO85 New Member

do you of any other methods of bc that a man can use besides condoms? shes on bc and i would like to use something too so we can be alot safer

8. Bluesy

Gold Member

Hormonal BC has a 99% efficacy rate, which is as effective as you can get when it comes to birth control. If she takes the Pill consistently, doesn't skip any or forget to take it around the same time every day, there's really no reason why you should need a back-up method. The only male BC available currently (that I'm aware of, and in the U.S.) is the good ol' condom. Sorry :ugh Someday there will be more options.

9. RAMBO85

RAMBO85 New Member

thanks bluesy for your universal wisdom

10. Bluesy

Gold Member

You're welcome, hon! I looked up the seven-day thing (I'd never heard of that before!), and apparently there are a few docs who think they should be effective in a week's time. The majority consensus is one month (28 days). *shrugs* I would have to say that if there's any dispute at all as to when precisely they kick in, it's better to err on the safe side.

11. Halogen

Halogen New Member

I'd also like to add that BC pills are not 100& effective, I know several women who have gotten pregnant on that. I would say an IUD more effective than BC pills, but I could be wrong on that.

12. RAMBO85

RAMBO85 New Member

maybe they missed there pills or didnt take them on time. that might of been why they got pregnant.thanks for the info

13. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Roger this! They have Medical Doctorates for a reason. :eyes

14. loveit247

Gold Member

One cycle. You have to get the body used to with holding its eggs. That is how I see it anyway. One week will not do much in my opinion. When I went onto BC I was told one cycle.

15. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

One cycle is definitely a more cautious estimate. I just remember being told to wait one week back when I started taking the pill. :shrug

16. Dreama

Gold Member

I was told to wait a week. So, don't worry Puss. You weren't the only one given that advice. Maybe it depends on the doctor and the method of BC?

17. yorkiesmurf

yorkiesmurf New Member

There are a lot of depends in that question. First it depends on the type of bc she is taking. Generally she needs to be on it for a month before you can stop using a condom and ideally it should be threes. If she is not taking it every day at the same time then you should wait longer, maybe six months.