[Ask a Girl] How do you like being complimented?

Discussion in 'Ask a Guy/Girl' started by 5teviewonders, Nov 25, 2010.

1. 5teviewonders

5teviewonders New Member

Which compliments have you liked the most and are there any you liked in particular?

2. Barbwire

Gold Member

I tend to put more stock and am more pleased by, compliments made about my character, not my appearance. For instance, I like it when people call me brave, funny, or kind because those are characteristics that I am personally responsible for. When someone says I have pretty eyes, nice tits or a fine ass, it's nice but, I can't really take credit for those things, now can I?

3. johndeeregirl

johndeeregirl New Member

definitely agree with that.. and a lot of the time when I get physical compliments, I'm a smart ass and say "I know :D"

4. Dragon_Fire

Gold Member

I agree. I especially get tired of hearing about my hair colour, I much rather be complimented on my achievements.

5. blondi

blondi Member

guess it different for everyone...i was such an akward kid, even through highschool. I dont like being told im sexy or hot. but when he tells my im pretty and he looks me right in the face, still gives my goosebumps ;) but i mean anything sincere, something that can actually be taken as a compliment and im not afraid to tell my baby sister about

6. SWGirl

SWGirl New Member

The only one I like to hear objectifying comments from is my man who also gives me compliments on everything else. Once a few months back though, we were at Steak n' Shake post concert, and a teenage gentleman walked up to our table of people, looked right at me and asked if Steve was my husband. I smiled and said, "No, boyfriend." Then he told us, "Sorry. I just wanted to say that you look really pretty." Which just made my freaking day :D lol. Steve told him thank you and the kid walked away smiling. He passed a compliment to another man's woman in front of him and did it in a classy and polite way that everyone seemed happy about.

7. nurseharley

Gold Member

i always enjoy hearing that i'm funny, especially since i'm a huge nerd and tend to say a lot of dumb things rather than stuff that's actually funny lol it's also nice to hear that i'm sweet/kind hearted and know someone can recognize that about me

8. shajal

shajal New Member

so what if a strange male that you dont know would compliment?

i mean im sure he doesn't know your characterisitcs because you just met him.

what kind of compliments would you like from a stranger you would encounter outside or store..or other places?

9. SteveWaste

SteveWaste New Member

My favorite compliment?

BAM!
    Guy 1: Wow! Good punch! ...Am I bleeding from the ear? ... Holy cow, I think my kids are going to be retarded now.

Guy 2: Thanks Dad.

~Steve

10. awakened

awakened New Member

It is nice to hear compliments on my looks, but i get a special warm feeling inside when someone compliments me on my fun personality or for being totally honest and not fake at all.

11. htoad

htoad Active Member

My experience in life has been that they more I compliment women on their mental/personality attributes, the better friends I get to be with them... and then they are comfortable with, or will even solicit, my opinion on their physical attributes.

The only times I have complimented a woman I did not know regarding anything physical was if they were wearing something I wanted to get for my wife - and I always used a phrase like "excuse me Ms., would you mind telling me where you purchased that outfit? I'd like to get one like it for my wife." They have always been flattered and never taken offense to that.

12. shajal

shajal New Member

htoad the way you say it is really polite and formal, i kno it works like a charm cause my father does it to the ladies all the time.

13. htoad

htoad Active Member

Thank you for the kind compliment.

These days, politeness is less expected, and goes a lot further. I have always told my sons and their friends, when they have asked, to always be polite when complimenting a woman. Chances are, the more they end up getting to know and liking you, the more they will "expand" their definition of the compliments they will like to hear from you.

My wife always tells me that, when we started dating, I stood put from other guys she had dated because I complimented her on her personality and actions, while the other guys were always talking about how she looked. She liked that - my not commenting on her body right away intrigued her, and made her want to get to know me better. And the rest is history. :)

14. SWGirl

SWGirl New Member

Steve compliments me all of the time, but he's really sly and original about it. Yesterday, he told me, "The way you walk is so sensual."

What girl doesn't want to hear that?

15. Godiva

Godiva Member

1- funny
    2- nice/kind etc...
    3- sexy
    4- unhumanly beautiful ----still waiting for a perfect stranger to say that one to me! ha! LOL

16. SteveWaste

SteveWaste New Member

I think the key to complimenting a woman successfully is to be 3 things when you do it:
    1. Respectful
    2. Novel
    3. Confident

You've got to not appear inappropriate, but you've also got to put a bit of yourself out there. And complimenting something not a lot of guys would notice helps to make it something memorable.

Guy: Hey Jen. You got your hair colored darker.
    Girl: Yah, I'm not sure if I like it yet.
    Guy: It looks great. I really goes well with that "mysteriously beautiful" thing you're so good at. Anyway, I've got to get the reports to Billing. See you later.

Bam. You probably made her day; and noticed something that she maybe was feeling slightly insecure about it. You told her that she looked good, the thing she just spent time and money on was well worth it, that you've been noticing her for some time, that she was beautiful in a creative way, and by being aloof and heading out, you've avoided the whole akward moment that follows a compliment like that appearing more confident and memorable. And by leaving before the tension builds to something uncomfortable like nervous laughter, she'll carry that desirable tension around with her all day; thereby remembering your compliment and that it was You that said it.

It's kind of like a science complimenting a lady properly.

~Steve

17. HardRocker

Gold Member

:lol Male bonding.

18. HayleyB

HayleyB New Member

I don't need compliments, I just need respect and equality.

19. shajal

shajal New Member

i said "you look sexy" to a girl on the train and she took it the wrong way and replied "ohh ok.....thanks i guesss"

then i did a survey in my college class trying to find out which girls feel offended when they are called "sexy" and result was about 70% said that is a weird compliment from a stranger lol

and i would say "unhumanly beautiful" if i knew how you looked ;)

20. smush_smush

smush_smush New Member

pretty, cute, and i consider him telling me he had a good time with me a compliment.